Modified tanto - kabar nailed it.

I could not find a thread in this subforum in the first 3 pages and did not want to post this in general.

Mine just arrived and it is a truly stunning blade, the grinds are aesthetically a thing of beauty.

Centre of balance is in the handle so feels very nimble. I have heard the sheath will dull the blade, would not be surprised.

I can't believe there is not more buzz about this knife, kabar you absolutely have to do a presentation version of this knife.. I don't consider myself a collector but I would start if there was an showcase model of this knife.

I don't believe many used the original design as a general bushcraft or survival knife, this design is even less suited for those tasks. Take one look at the profile and it's pretty clear what it's purpose is.

I will be ordering a second one asap to mod: sharpen the swedge, possible reshape of the guard, mod the handle.

Does anyone have pictures of how they attach the extra dangler option on the sheath, I can't work out what the intended method would look like.

I was saving for a recon 1 in 3v but this knife blows that plan apart.

Great job kabar, imo the nicest production blade on the market in its category and just a fine looking and well made knife in general.

prefer they made an all plain edge full size version. the partial serrated i dont care much for myself. the 1266 is great though. own one of those.

I could not find a thread in this subforum in the first 3 pages and did not want to post this in general.

Mine just arrived and it is a truly stunning blade, the grinds are aesthetically a thing of beauty.

Centre of balance is in the handle so feels very nimble. I have heard the sheath will dull the blade, would not be surprised.

I can't believe there is not more buzz about this knife, kabar you absolutely have to do a presentation version of this knife.. I don't consider myself a collector but I would start if there was an showcase model of this knife.

I don't believe many used the original design as a general bushcraft or survival knife, this design is even less suited for those tasks. Take one look at the profile and it's pretty clear what it's purpose is.

I will be ordering a second one asap to mod: sharpen the swedge, possible reshape of the guard, mod the handle.

Does anyone have pictures of how they attach the extra dangler option on the sheath, I can't work out what the intended method would look like.

I was saving for a recon 1 in 3v but this knife blows that plan apart.

Great job kabar, imo the nicest production blade on the market in its category and just a fine looking and well made knife in general.
I like it so much I think i'll keep buying it should they come up with more handle colors/material.. It's an awesome blade

I like it so much I think i'll keep buying it should they come up with more handle colors/material.. It's an awesome blade
True that, can't say I am a fan of whatever the black coat on the blade is.

I do hope they bring out different versions, seems a bit niche tho as I don't think this knife is super popular....their loss.

Bro any ideas what the rigging piece on the sheath that swings off the belt loop is supposed. I can't figure out how to use it. There for a reason, nobody seems to know why tho.

A stacked leather version would look awesome. It isn't a best seller on their website, but currently out of stock, so it could be selling well I guess. So you never know.

I have no clue brother, it's on the 1211 sheath too, sorry..

Bro any ideas what the rigging piece on the sheath that swings off the belt loop is supposed. I can't figure out how to use it. There for a reason, nobody seems to know why tho.
It could be an attachment option for your backpack I guess..

Stacked leather handle version of this knife would be very cool.

Don’t think they’ve sold many of them in general though so I doubt it’ll happen

Just wanted to note this - I had the 8" tanto back in the day. I did not care for it all that much as it seemed to be a knife that... did not know what it wanted to be. The modified tanto, however, is very interesting as, rather than being a "modified tanto," to me it appears to be more of a traditional tanto by way of its blade profile. That said, not in the market for one of these, but I'm really impressed with what I do see.

In fact, I've been rather impressed with what I've seen coming out of Ka-Bar in recent years. It used to be that I thought Ontario was putting out better designs, despite their fit and finish generally falling quite short in comparison. Ontario hasn't impressed me for years now, but you fine chaps over at Ka-Bar are doing a fantastic job - please continue!

Just wanted to note this - I had the 8" tanto back in the day. I did not care for it all that much as it seemed to be a knife that... did not know what it wanted to be. The modified tanto, however, is very interesting as, rather than being a "modified tanto," to me it appears to be more of a traditional tanto by way of its blade profile. That said, not in the market for one of these, but I'm really impressed with what I do see.

In fact, I've been rather impressed with what I've seen coming out of Ka-Bar in recent years. It used to be that I thought Ontario was putting out better designs, despite their fit and finish generally falling quite short in comparison. Ontario hasn't impressed me for years now, but you fine chaps over at Ka-Bar are doing a fantastic job - please continue!

Lol we are so used to an American tanto that when an actual tanto comes along we call it modified.

GGGRRRRRRR great another knife I am going to have to get! Friggin looks awesome.

Back