1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

MOP Handles

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by smiling-knife, May 30, 2007.

1. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    SK.

What a beautiful collection. I still have hope that you and Charlie will adopt me some day just so I can chicken finger all those knives (very gently and carefully though) :D.

2. KnifeHead

KnifeHead I'm bad, I'm nationwide Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 5, 2006
    Ya EAT chicken fingers! You mean COON FINGER! :D

3. Berkley

Berkley

May 5, 1999
    No fancy backspring on this pearl Wostenholm I*XL with scissors - but it does remind you to "Oil The Joints".
    [​IMG]

4. smiling-knife

smiling-knife

Nov 11, 2006
    Nice one Berkley.

Thanks very much Bastid.

5. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    And chicken eye!:D

6. ddushane

ddushane

Apr 19, 2001
    Here's one I made several years ago but thought it would fit the thread,

[​IMG]

7. smiling-knife

smiling-knife

Nov 11, 2006
    Here is one to keep the thread alive. A silver-bladed fish knife hallmarked Birmingham 1885. The mop is one solid piece with hidden tang construction.

[​IMG]

8. Berkley

Berkley

May 5, 1999
    That is such beautiful work it seems sacrilegious to think about sliding it under a filet of sole:eek:.
    Another one piece mop handle, on a little dirk from Joseph Allen & Sons, Sheffield. Their trademark was NON*XLL. This one marked England, so made after 1890.

[​IMG]

9. mshambone

mshambone Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Here is a Wostenholm IXL congress I just recently acquired. I am enjoying this one alot. Snaps nice, no wobbles, no gaps between liners. Overall just plain nice. It measures just shy of 31/8". Its hard to see but this one also says to oil the joints on the one side of the blade.

Matt

10. sunnyd

sunnyd Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 17, 2004
    This thread needs a bump. :) Here is one that needs to be shown and thought it might be welcome in here..

[​IMG]

11. smiling-knife

smiling-knife

Nov 11, 2006
    Great knives guys. Thanks for posting. As a bump I'm posting this 1890s penknife.

[​IMG]

12. Berkley

Berkley

May 5, 1999
    Another bump: whittler by J.Nowill & Sons, Sheffield.

[​IMG]

13. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I just put these up in the old knives thread, but, since I only own two with pearl handles, I thought it might belong here, too. This is a 3" Ellenville pen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. user24

user24

Nov 10, 2006
    I posted this on another forum a while ago, but I love to any chance to show off my MOP knives :D

[​IMG]
    (click for biggie)

[​IMG]
    (click for biggie)

[​IMG]
    (click for biggie)

The first is dated 1911, picked it up in a little village antique shop
    Hallmarks: 1911, Maker: C.W.F
    OAL: 3 inches, blade 1.25 inches

The second is slightly earlier, from 1846.
    very faint etching on the back (and originally on the front, too) of the MOP. you can just about make it out still. The blade itself has been worked too, as has the backspring
    Hallmarks: 1846, Maker: HA
    OAL: 5.25 inches, blade: 2.5 inches

The last I bought for £15 which I think is a bargain (knocked it down from £18, and the price tag originally said £24), so yeah - happy with the price.
    It's in near-perfect condition. The workmanship is very detailed, the mother of pearl very good.
    Hallmarks: 1911, Maker: HW.LD
    OAL: 3.5 inches, blade: 1.5 inches

15. 877389722

877389722 Banned BANNED

May 12, 2009
    SPAM removed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
  16. KnifeHead

KnifeHead I'm bad, I'm nationwide Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 5, 2006
    Wooooo those are beautiful knives, user42 :thumbup:

17. sunnyd

sunnyd Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 17, 2004
    user42,

The beauty of all of them are outstanding but this one really is quite exquisite!. :eek: I would love to know what type of tool(s) was utilized to carve the floral design into the mother of pearl scales..

Just incredible! :) Thanks for showing these here.

Anthony