Moraknivs

I'm afraid the OP is going to cost me some more money... 🤔😉

I've lost count of how many Companions I've bought, as gifts and to stick in every nook and cranny in my house and garage... :D

Last Christmas, I had the Christmas Faerie (my wife) gift me a Garberg with the leather sheath. I was enamored by a Youtube video where that Scandinavian chick with the glasses (who does a multitude of field tests) tried to beat the absolute crap out of a Garberg (batoning with an ax, etc.). It was crazier than any "tests" conducted on "Forged in Fire." As one would expect, the Garberg eventually picked up an assortment of chips, but actually "survived" -- relatively speaking.

I've seriously considered the Kansbol, but I have the Bushcraft Forest, which I've told myself is "redundant enough" (yeah, it doesn't have the squared spine)... But then, Mora knives are kind'a like eating Pringles... :oops:

I actually like the sheaths. Zip tie them in spots they might be needed. Very safe and secures the knife just fine for my tastes. And needless to say, I like the knives too.
And the sheathes for the, I think, Craftline, series, like the Basic and the Precision for example, can be attached together! Mora is amazing, in my opinion. That dual-grind Eldris? That is a great little pocket fixed-blade.

And I recently tried a discontinued model for whittling, the 122, which is laminated carbon steel. It is amazing on the wood so far, and the 120, which is just a hair longer, is still in production. All around great stuff, I have five Mora knives and intend to get more!

Over the weekend I got a Morakniv Kansbol and Eldris. I had been looking for a knife that I could use with my ferro rod and just happened to come across a video review of both of these knives. I had always overlooked Moraknivs because when I looked at them I just thought their not really my type of knife. I can't speak for all of their models but these 2 are amazing and the price is amazing too! They just feel great in the hand. I got them in the mail Saturday and that night we had a fire, I used the Kansbol with ferro rod to start it. I have a gobspark but never really liked how the square striker felt in my hand. Just 2 truly amazing knives! I wish I would have discovered them along time ago.
Welcome to the club! Mora and Victorinox are can't miss best values in the knife world.

You really can’t beat Moras for their price.I usually try to keep 10 or so (usually a variety of 511s,Robust and Companions) at all times so when I end up going on a group camping trip,I throw them in my truck so I can either loan them out or give them away to those who either forgot to bring a knife,lost their knife,broke their knife or people who show up with crappy knives..they are good dependable cheap priced knives that I can hand out so nobody will have a reason to ask to use my Bark Rivers,L.T. Wrights,Bradfords,Battle Horse,Buck 119 Pro,or whatever knives I brought along for my personal use

Decoy knives, Garrett. I came to believe in that long ago with chisels on construction sites.

I carry a 511 or Companion frequently while hiking/camping/outdoor rec use. I have them in blue, tan, green. Never lost one but always expected to, so I have an orange one on the way here. I suppose I could have just paracord wrapped my other ones.

Parker

Mora knives are excellent. I especially like the older laminated blades. Don't care for the plastic sheathes, easily remedied.
CXlLgYg.jpg

Wow, you guys have some phat Moras. I especially love the classic red, need me an original Mora no.1! Here is what I have so far.

Companion HD
Basic 511
Precision
Eldris

The oil on my companion looks like condensation. Yo... whoever said knives need to be full tang never met a Mora. This is a strong tang. There are videos showing the tang setup, it really is secure. I would take an Ontario + Mora setup over a KA-BAR. And I do.

That is very cool! I have never seen those Frosts knives! I have one Mora from Erik Frost, a 122, with the same tubular sheath as on the top of your picture and I had only heard the Frost name in cutlery about the terrible Paki slipjoints, so I was getting really confused before I realized they were seperate entities.

When are these from?

That is very cool! I have never seen those Frosts knives! I have one Mora from Erik Frost, a 122, with the same tubular sheath as on the top of your picture and I had only heard the Frost name in cutlery about the terrible Paki slipjoints, so I was getting really confused before I realized they were seperate entities.

When are these from?
You may guess - they come from Sweden :^)
They are from 1990's
Before Mora, before Moraknives ...
There were Frost (the company) in Mora (the city)

1 - famous red handle laminated
2 and 3 - rare dive knives
4 - military model

When are these from?
Basically same Frost
except Mr. Frost or else sold company to china ...
luckily Mora left and still is in Sweden and make good knives with famous Swedish steel :^)

Why Germans attacked Norway at very beginning of WWII ?
because they got heavy water
Why Germans attacked Sweden at very beginning of WWII ?
Because they got the best quality iron ore in entire World

All Tigers, Panthers, battleships, guns, carbines etc etc were made with Swedish steel
Razors too :^D

Basically same Frost
except Mr. Frost or else sold company to china ...
luckily Mora left and still is in Sweden and make good knives with famous Swedish steel :^)

Why Germans attacked Norway at very beginning of WWII ?
because they got heavy water
Why Germans attacked Sweden at very beginning of WWII ?
Because they got the best quality iron ore in entire World

All Tigers, Panthers, battleships, guns, carbines etc etc were made with Swedish steel
Razors too :^D

I did not know that! Interesting stuff, always love to learn. People go so nuts over the Japanese steel, I'd love to see someone fold up the Swedish stuff a couple hundred times in a long knife.

So I bought a mora 2000 from a local sporting goods store yesterday. I guess I've never read a description of the mora 2000 from when I've looked at them online and I didn't even look at the display they had at the store. I didn't realize until I got out to the car that it has a mirror polished blade on it. I don't like it. I mean I love the feel of the grip I just don't like that mirror polish. I like the look of the garberg and kansbol. So has anybody taken some sand paper and roughed up the surface? If so how was the outcome? What grit sandpaper did you use?

As I've mentioned previously, I prefer the older laminated Mora knives. I've never seen a doublet by a Mora maker although common in Finnish puukko, sooooo, I decided to craft one. Both knives old laminated Mora blades, rehandled with hook style handles and custom sheath,
(I found I hate sheath making - too tedious and it hurts my hands).

Not a thing of beauty. but unique. Who else would do anything this crazy 😆

Last edited:
As I've mentioned previously, I prefer the older laminated Mora knives. I've never seen a doublet by a Mora maker although common in Finnish puukko, sooooo, I decided to craft one. Both knives old laminated Mora blades, rehandled with hook style handles and custom sheath,
(I found I hate sheath making - too tedious and it hurts my hands).

Not a thing of beauty. but unique. Who else would do anything this crazy 😆
This is awesome! Reminds me of the craftline Mora sheaths, clicking knives together. I'd proudly rock that on my belt.
I love their laminated knives for whittling wood, got a discontinued 122 which is just a bit smaller than the 120, needed that. These blade shapes are older though, surely? It looks amazing.

Last edited:
Back