Moraknivs

Whats the steel they use in their “stainless” and “carbon” marked knives ?
Which model is full tang ?
Is Kansbol better than Pro Robust ?

Whats the steel they use in their “stainless” and “carbon” marked knives ?
Which model is full tang ?
Is Kansbol better than Pro Robust ?
The Garberg is full tang! Bushcraft, too, I think, but if you look at videos of the tang, you will see that the tang is very strong, I trust the normal tang.
Most stainless is 12c27 Sandvik, 14c28n for more expensive models and their carbon... it has a name, but it's magic Swedish carbon steel, basically.

Thank you, I also found some info on the tangs:

moraxraywtext.jpg

The Garberg is full tang! Bushcraft, too, I think, but if you look at videos of the tang, you will see that the tang is very strong, I trust the normal tang.
Most stainless is 12c27 Sandvik, 14c28n for more expensive models and their carbon... it has a name, but it's magic Swedish carbon steel, basically.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Garberg is the only full tang Mora. It was a consideration for having me ask for that model from the Christmas faerie (wife) -- although certainly not a deal-killer. I think the other models of Moras have proven themselves to be more than stout enough throughout the years. :)

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Garberg is the only full tang Mora. It was a consideration for having me ask for that model from the Christmas faerie (wife) -- although certainly not a deal-killer. I think the other models of Moras have proven themselves to be more than stout enough throughout the years. :)
Ah, yeah, I knew the Garberg was for sure. My fiance got me an orange 511 for Christmas 😁 Great general-use house knife, told my family to grab that if they need it outside or in the garden... Yes, I think Moras will be whittling wood with me for years to come, I am glad I "found it" early on and am not trying a bunch of other random options, feel bad for anyone with a Hultafors or a Wahoo Killer instead of a real Mora, can't believe its faked like it is.
I use some other tools, and some Fiskars tiny blades, but a Mora Precision and 511 stay in my woodbox.

Here's my Morakniv horde! Left (L-R): Fish Filleting Knife 155, 747, Classic Wood Carving 220 Splitter Knife, and Classic No.3. Top Middle (T-B): Bushcraft Orange, Companion Knife Heavy Duty, Kansbol, and Garberg. Top Right (T-B): Roofing Felt Knife, Craftline Carpentry Chisel, and Eldris. Lower Right (L-R): Robust, Companion Knife, Pro S Stainless, Basic 511 Black/Yellow 2020 Ltd Edition, and Floating Knife. Centre Bottom (wood working knives in no order): Wood Carving Knives (106, 120, and 122) and Hook Knives (162, 163, and 164).

51906752838_aab26789f4_b.jpg

Here's my Morakniv horde! Left (L-R): Fish Filleting Knife 155, 747, Classic Wood Carving 220 Splitter Knife, and Classic No.3. Top Middle (T-B): Bushcraft Orange, Companion Knife Heavy Duty, Kansbol, and Garberg. Top Right (T-B): Roofing Felt Knife, Craftline Carpentry Chisel, and Eldris. Lower Right (L-R): Robust, Companion Knife, Pro S Stainless, Basic 511 Black/Yellow 2020 Ltd Edition, and Floating Knife. Centre Bottom (wood working knives in no order): Wood Carving Knives (106, 120, and 122) and Hook Knives (162, 163, and 164).

51906752838_aab26789f4_b.jpg
My first reaction was to take issue with “horde” instead of “hoard”, but as I scroll down and see the full extent of your accumulation, maybe “horde” isn’t too far off the mark.

My first reaction was to take issue with “horde” instead of “hoard”, but as I scroll down and see the full extent of your accumulation, maybe “horde” isn’t too far off the mark.
I like my Moras and hope to start in on some wood carving projects soon, now that I've got all the knives I need, but it's definitely a horde. If they were that many Bark River, Zero Tolerance, or Hinderer knives they'd be a proper hoard worthy of a dragon.

…and you couldn’t afford the wood to use them on.

Parker
I've been collecting and drying deciduous tree wood from my property, while clearing brush the last couple of years, just to ensure I have some carving wood to start out with. Now it's mostly about getting longer daylight hours and finding some spare time.

I love my HD Companion!

For a lot of people the Heavy Duty Companion is as much of a bushcraft/camp knife as they'll ever need. It's just a solid piece of kit. I'd recommend it over the Garberg, for the simple reason that at the Garberg price point you're now in a different class of knives and there are better options available (most Joker and Condor knives are less expensive).

Just a heads up that Amazon has the "Morakniv Floating Fixed-Blade" on sale right now for about $21 if you have Prime. They normally sell between $25-28. It's great for boats, kayaking, fishing or just being around water in general. Molded plastic handle with cork formed over it so it'll float. It's the bottom right knife in The Grendels picture above.

Basically same Frost
except Mr. Frost or else sold company to china ...
luckily Mora left and still is in Sweden and make good knives with famous Swedish steel :^)

Why Germans attacked Norway at very beginning of WWII ?
because they got heavy water
Why Germans attacked Sweden at very beginning of WWII ?
Because they got the best quality iron ore in entire World

All Tigers, Panthers, battleships, guns, carbines etc etc were made with Swedish steel
Razors too :^D
Not exactly: Nazi Germany never attacked or invaded Sweden. Sweden was neutral and sold steel to Germany which they transported via train to Narvik in Norway and had it shipped south; the reason for the strategic importance of Narvik. Norway had (and has) enormous possibilities for hydropower that was needed for making heavy water, but also for making of aluminium for the planes. Norway also gave Germany a huge advantage in the north Atlantic and they had several big submarine stations on the coast of Norway.

I tried to reply directly to Zulus message, but somehow it gets pushed down to the bottom of the page...

Not exactly: Nazi Germany never attacked or invaded Sweden. Sweden was neutral and sold steel to Germany which they transported via train to Narvik in Norway and had it shipped south; the reason for the strategic importance of Narvik. Norway had (and has) enormous possibilities for hydropower that was needed for making heavy water, but also for making of aluminium for the planes. Norway also gave Germany a huge advantage in the north Atlantic and they had several big submarine stations on the coast of Norway.

I tried to reply directly to Zulus message, but somehow it gets pushed down to the bottom of the page...
For me it's so close
Sending ore to Nazi occupied Norway wasn't really act of neutrality !
All neutral ore landed in Krupp foundries

For me it's so close
Sending ore to Nazi occupied Norway wasn't really act of neutrality !
All neutral ore landed in Krupp foundries
You are right about the steel. For Norwegians, it is far from the same; dealing and making money with the nazis versus fighting back. But this is big politics, the Swedish government was cowards, but lot of its people helped their neighbors in Norway to escape and continue the resistance.

As a side note: this is why Sweden (and Denmark) has so many nice towns with historical buildings, while Norways main draw is nature - we only have ugly "modern" towns as most had to be rebuilt after the war by a very poor country.

Anyway: I think we agree on the moral here, I just had to correct a little :)

Just a general note on the (hidden) tang situation (if you don't have access to an x-ray machine): Run a neodymium magnet along the handle. You should be able to tell where the tang stops from the change in "pull".

Back