most reliable fixed blade for 50?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by michael88, Jul 14, 2010.

1. MTech

MTech

Jul 11, 2010
    Yeah, I'm long winded...

Thanks for putting up with me!!!

Resisting a smiley here.

2. Brad "the butcher"

Brad "the butcher"

Dec 15, 2008
    Take up the kabar large or small bowie suggestions for your price range.

my kabar large bowie is a helluva knife for the price. Not bad sheath either.
    great chopper and general camp knife.
    I like the handle, good retention with the pommel.

3. michael88

michael88

Jul 12, 2010
    i really appreciate all the help guys. the situation is my birthday is coming up and i am always asked what i want, and instead of getting a 50 dollar gift card from my mom, figure she can actually get me something to wrap which she enjoys. i dont want her spending much so i capped it there. thanks a lot fellas. right now it im leaning towards kabar and the cold steel, that airmans knife is awesome as well. great im developing an addiction.

4. bd51

bd51

Jun 15, 2010
    cant go wrong with a ka-bar

5. rifon2

rifon2

Oct 9, 2005
    The best deal I've seen very recently in a quality fixed blade knife is the Benchmade Rant Drop Point for less than $40.00(!)

It's the version that was recently discontinued. 440C stainless, USA made.
    Really nice knife and great value at that price. :thumbup:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/10502

The exact same knife is currently available from Benchmade, except that the blade steel is D2.
    It sells for around $75.00.

6. neuron

neuron Moderator Moderator

Apr 18, 2010
    Looks like our job here is done. :D

7. J.Davey

J.Davey

Feb 10, 2004
    Definitely the KaBar Heavy Bowie. It isn't flashy and it doesn't have some big name attached to it, or some cult following, but it is truly THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR CASH. I've been using knives for 25 years, and this is the best 'budget' knife I've ever owned.:thumbup:

8. MplsAtty

MplsAtty

Aug 20, 2007
    Agree with SOSO & JDavey -- that Kabar heavy bowie is tough & WICKED sharp, thick & HUGE. One of my favorites! There's a larger & smaller version, both should be in your price range (but might require a specific online order -- see SOSO's link). I've seen the Rant at Fleet Farm, but it was just a little over $60 (the 440C version).
    It's an awesome addiction!

9. Handwrecker

Handwrecker Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2010
    Absolutely. I've had a Nighthawk for about a decade and it's been a beast. It's a good 6.5" of .25" 420HC. I've done almost everything with this knife, from splitting wood, opening canned food, chopping bait, camp tasks, going through drywall, you name it. Every time, I sharpen it back up and clean it off. She always comes back to being good as new. Strong as hell, easy to sharpen, holds an edge acceptably well, and doesn't seem to chip too bad. Buck has the heat treat on their 420HC down incredibly well in my opinion. You really can't find a tougher knife for the price.

Of course if that's too big, IZULA!! :D:thumbup:

10. SOSO

SOSO

Jan 15, 2010
    And the Nighthawk comes without serrations! -- Here!

[​IMG]

Or as a Tanto!

[​IMG]

Funny thing is I could have purchased these knives last month for about $20 a piece.

11. michael88

michael88

Jul 12, 2010
    So should I get the kabar or cold Steele bushman?

12. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    Kabar for sure.

13. SOSO

SOSO

Jan 15, 2010
    Absolutely! It's in my next purchase from Blue Ridge.

14. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
  15. michael88

michael88

Jul 12, 2010
    Alright now narrowed down to kabar. Black fighter combat or the bk7? Or the marine style?

16. zignal_zero

zignal_zero

Apr 16, 2008
    really? i always thought 9 1/2" was the "bowie" standard. my Gerber Australian Bowie has a 9 1/2" blade and i believe the Trailmaster does, as well. i'm not using these as a way to dispute what you said (because i don't), just as a reason i had thought the standard bowie blade was a 9.5" clip point.

it was Jim Black that made the Jim Bowie's knife, right? was that where the 12" standard comes from?

like i said, i'm not disputing what constitutes a "bowie" i'm just trying to learn as much about them as possible because i really like the Americana that surrounds them. the whole "sandbar duel" and all that jazz.

OP - check out the Cold Steel Recon Scout. they come in two variations. the cheaper one is a high carbon steel that is finished black and close to your price range. the other is San Mai III and one of the sexiest knives i've ever seen. i carried a bowie with a 9.5" blade, on my last camping trip, and honestly feel i'd be more comfortable with a slightly shorter (yet hefty) blade like the 7.5" on the Recon Scout.

17. RafaelHerschel

RafaelHerschel

Jun 19, 2010
    If I understand you correctly, you wanted to get a Bowie at a later date and a affordable but reliable fixed blade right now. I think that is the right strategy, it allows you to save up for a Bowie that you really like.

Around the price point of $ 50,- I would definitely go for a smaller, drop point (or similar) blade.

The Buck Omni Hunter 12 PT seems a decent starting point. Full tang, 420HC steel which is not the best for edge retention, but tough for stainless steel and made in the USA, so the heat treatment should be decent. It’s not a pry bar or a machete, so should be used as a knife.

For the record: I’ve never had a problem with the Buck 119. I’m careful with clip point blades however.

Rafael

18. michael88

michael88

Jul 12, 2010
    Ok for real this time it's the kabar black fighter or the next generAtion kabar straight edge

19. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Plus one, they are a lot tougher than a lot of people give them credit for.

20. rifon2

rifon2

Oct 9, 2005
    Of those two, I'd choose the Ka Bar Black Fighter.

I like the 1095 steel much more than the 440A in the Next Generation.
    And other than that, the two knives are pretty similar.