Most versatile/well-rounded knife you have

Buck 301 stockman.

Three different blades with three different edges, and three different blade shapes. Can be used as a box cutter/package opens with he sheep foot blade, skinning/castrating with the spey blade, general slicing and field dressing of small game and deer with the clip blade.

Hard to beat three different blades in one pocket size package.

Because in winter I need bigger knives, small and medium sized knives are all out. In my case these are the otherwise great Doug Ritter RSK, GB2, PM2, Native 5, Spydiechef. I also automatically excluded serrated knives and slipjoints, framelocks and compression locks.

Fixed: Bark River Aurora 2 3V (or Tundra).

Both are convex, with relatively thin stock and in 3V, so they also perform nearly the same, apart from the blade length, wich might be important for batoning.

Folder: Spyderco Native Chief Rex45 (or Military).

Amazingly, even though the handle size is bigger on the Military, the grip size is bigger on the Chief, while the edge length is almost the same. Because of this and the lack of hump/ramp, the Chief wins. Also, it is ambidextrous.

Around town and light camping chores : Pioneer X

Unless cleaning fish, obviously a filet is the preferred tool, the 124 is my most versatile fixed:

Cleaning fish is an important task for me - and not just a trout or crappie. Up to and including large freshwater and saltwater fish. Thus my earlier selection of the 9" Dexter. It's fully capable of meeting that need as well as really anything else I've ever us a knife to do.

If I were completely honest about it and left out my lifelong passion for knives of various sorts from the ordinary to the sublime, I'd have to admit that I could probably get along just fine with a small paring knife and a SAK.

Most everything else, (with a few specific exceptions, like a golok or machete for general hacking and clearing on the property or in the woods), is simply because I love knives of all sorts...always have.

This is what my sixty plus years, many years backpacking, climbing, canoeing, x-c skiing, winter camping, and a career in law enforcement have taught me. Yes, there are and will continue to be exceptions.

It's pretty simple, actually.

(Though I have absolutely no intention of limiting myself to the two knives mentioned above.)

These day's it's my Hinderer no-choil skinny slicer. Thin enough for good slicing, tough enough for more heavy cutting, perfect flipping and lock-up. Second would have to my my Tsourkan 240mm 52100 Work Horse Gyuto. To be honest since I do all the cooking kitchen knives see much more use on a daily basis.

These day's it's my Hinderer no-choil skinny slicer. Thin enough for good slicing, tough enough for more heavy cutting, perfect flipping and lock-up. Second would have to my my Tsourkan 240mm 52100 Work Horse Gyuto. To be honest since I do all the cooking kitchen knives see much more use on a daily basis.

You had me at 52100...LOL. Rightly or wrongly I still love that steel.

Hey, Tom, if you see this, check your PMs.

I don't EDC it, because "I don't like small knives". But when all is said and done, it's my most used knife in the household.

i-vWTTCQL-X3.jpg

Any of my spyderco knives would fit here.
Today one of my favorites.
sIyHfvo.jpg

I was also thinking about a Manix2. But my overall most versatil edc for light and heavy use is probably my American Lawman.

Yes, but you cannot put your tool box in your pocket!! :p the OP said you could name multitools.

Maybe I wear huge clown pants, or have a very tiny toolbox!
Okay I guess if the OP allowed them it's not cheating. in that case the Victorinox Swiss Champ would probbaly be up there in most versatile. I don't own one though, maybe I should.

#3 Large Insingo Sebenza
#2 Spyderco Pacific Salt

#1 Spyderco Salt 1 is my choice for most practical for all chores. speed of opening, lightweight, dishwasher safe.

Maybe I wear huge clown pants, or have a very tiny toolbox!
Okay I guess if the OP allowed them it's not cheating. in that case the Victorinox Swiss Champ would probbaly be up there in most versatile. I don't own one though, maybe I should.

Most versatile would a SA, I have a Alox Pioneer I used a lot in the summer when we camped, or glamped. I do want to get a Pioneer X with the scissors, or a Farmer.

Back