Movie Recommendations?

I just saw "Pootie Tang" and can not stop laughing! Well done and very funny.

Also like "Batman Begins" with Christian Bale.

"Smallville" on TV

"24" is incomparable! BUT you must check out the entire season at one time from your local video store and plan to make a 24 hour marathon. You will not be bored!

What are your favorites or new "Must See" movies?

Serenity. Also have to see the series, Firefly.

I'd had Friday on vhs for some time, lent it to a friend several years ago, and you all know how that goes, so I'd just like to nominate it again, just saw it on DVD.

An old movie that I first saw as a kid, Death Hunt with Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson. A good survival movie.

Lord of War was preachy, but that was the whole point of the movie. Pretty much anti gun, but the main point of the movie was that these guns need a person to operate them. Even for a gun nut like myself, I see the movie as very truthful. Just an illustration on what's been going on for some time now.

I am a big documentary fan. I don't care much for action stuff.

One film I want to see is "An Inconvenient Truth", that, and "Battle Ground"

One film I really enjoyed recently is "Control Room":thumbup:

I also want to see "Billy Jack's Crusade" when it comes out cause I liked the old Billy Jack films of the 70's

A few years ago, they passed around the film, "The Iron Mistress" about James Bowie. Someone had pulled it off of the cable Westerns Channel and I made a copy when it got to me. It has never been released in either tape or DVD, so there are very few copies around. I thoroughly enjoy mine and recommend that the rest of you stay on the lookout to see if it is coming around on the Westerns Channel again.

I just watched it again last weekend.:) :)

Kismet

Basic Member
"Hunt for Red October" Best submarine movie...rewatchable again and again...no sex, little violence...just great.

"Dersu Usala"...Almost a documentary of early 20th century friendship between Russian surveyor and native guide (Goldi nationality), by the director of Seven Samuri and Yojimbo. just great.

"The Great Escape"...over and over and over...never fails to please.

"Harvey" perfect.

"Young Frankenstein" Tell me you don't want Terri Garr. Liar.

"Fargo" But I know some of those people. "Funny-looking fella."

Equillibrium
Requiem for a Dream
Memento
Firefly series, plus movie Serenity
Dune

kamkazmoto said:
African Queen with Humphry Bogart, Seven Samurai or Casablanca.

I really liked the African Queen when I was a kid. I don't think I've ever seen any other Bogie movies, not even the Maltese Falcon.

But Bill, I did see the "sequel" to the Maltese Falcon... Blackbird. Starring George Segal as the illegitimate son of Bogies character. Shame I can't find it anywhere on dvd.

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Gotta agree on the Terry Garr thing and I also like Young Frankenstein.

Still love watching The Goonies.

The Thin Man series with Merna Loy.

Almost everything Clint Eastwood was ever in...

James Bond movies with Sean Connery.

"The Chronicles of Narnia" was one of the best movies I've seen in recent memory. Well worth a look.

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
A third for Young Frankenstein:D:thumbup:
"If you're blue and you don' know,
Where to go to, why don't you go,
Where fashion sits ?..."

<double tap and point>

"PRUHHR MRHNRR GHRR!"

I nearly bust a seam everytime I watch that flick. Mel Brook's best film, IMHO.
However, "Blazing Saddles" is a very, very close second.

I have over 150 DVDs in my collect. Some are my wife's where she just bought them to buy them. Most of mine, however, are carefully chosen. Either viewed as a child and loved or so up my very narrow alley of weird/sick humor that they deserved a spot on my shelf for instant viewing.
But I've been trying to think of a movie that no matter when it is on TV or how many times, I always sit and watch it. After some thought, that movie has to be "The Fifth Element" with Bruce Willis. Creative with a wild flair of style the movie is a solid popcorn flick. Action, adventure, good actiing (except for Chris tucker), likable characters (once again, except for Chris Tucker. Audio feedback of nails on a chalkboard fed through a distortion machine is more pleasent to listen to), and predictable although happy ending. Milla Jovovvich is no Terry Garr, but she'll do;):thumbup: Cool little flick that is on TNT/TBS/USA approx. 437.34 times a month. Not a favorite of mine. Not even in the top 10, but i just have to watch it when it's on TV.

Personally, I'm a sucker for the fantasy/barbarian movies of the late 70's and early 80's. Once again, I saw these as a very small kid. Mom and dad didn't shelter me from much. So i turned out a litttle weird..big deal;)
Anyway, the Conan movies along with their multiple clones are easy rainy day entertainment for me to enjoy. My favorite is "The Beastmaster". Not the second one, not the third, not the 9th (or whatever they are up to). No, to me the story of Darr and his animal companions ended in the 1982 classic:D "The Beastmaster" is not to be confused with "The Blademaster", a far inferior barbarian movie that has the hero fighting some idiotic rubber spider thing at the end. I loved "Conan the Barbarian". How many fantasy movies have actors like James Earl Jones in them? I mean come on! It was Darth Vader in a bad wig, who turns into a snake, who says "the power of the fleshhhh" 437 times over the course of 2 hours. It was a really well put together movie, and I believe, if I am not mistaken, the first movie of Ah-nuld's that he was not re-dubbed with an American voice...anyone ever seen that horrible Hercules movie he did pre-Conan?? :barf:

Sorry, I could on and on about this stuff for hours.

Jake

You could keep pretty busy just watching stuff by some of the greatest directors.
David Lean: Bridge on the River Kwai, Dr. Zivago, Lawrence of Arabia, etc.
Stanley Kubrick: Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Clockwork Orange, etc.
Alfred Hitchcock: The Man Who Knew Too Much (esp his 2nd version), North by Northwest, Rear Window, etc.
John Ford: The Searchers, Mr. Roberts, The Searchers, etc. (yes, I have the Searchers twice.)
Howard Hawks: Rio Bravo (which he redid as Rio Lobo and also El Dorado! Same basic plot, all with John Wayne), To Have and Have Not, and many many more
Billy Wilder: The Apartment, Some Like it Hot, Avanti, etc.

It's painful to just list a couple of each director's stuff, because they have so, so, much more great stuff. And then there are other outstanding directors as well.

Kismet

Basic Member
Maybe the funniest scene ever filmed in a movie:

The monster of Young Frankenstein and the Monk, the serving of soup, the lighting of a cigar. The monster's reactions, the anticipation, waiting for the response...absolutely wonderful.

Gene Hackman is priceless.

"Sweet mystery of life at last I've found you!" Gotta love Madeline Kahn.

I just watched The Aristocrats. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to wet myself. Fair warning: intense profanity and vulgarity.

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
I gotta admit Bruise, those chimp movies sucked.

Loved Blazing Saddles. And History of the World Part 1.

Anyone ever see Top Secret?

What about Private Eyes with Don Knots?

Noises Off was great and that chick hanging out in her panties the whole time was HOT.