Movie Recommendations?

Bandit5 said:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is awesome.

Seconded. If you can get past the whole anime thing, this is excellently done. The artwork is nice, there's a coherent theme linking the series, and each individual plot is more intricate than most of the plots we assign to feature length films in this country. Your local video rental place will have these. Satori Thumbs-Up.

I just got done watching Strangelove again for the umpteenth time. IMO it's Kubrick's best flick and is probably the most quotable movie of all times.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Classic lines in that movie.

I've got the Netflix thing going and I try to take a look at the newer movies on occasion but honestly, most of them are bad and the ones that aren't, tend to be terrible. Either people are even easier to entertain than I thought or Hollywood's entire strategy has centered around pushing big names and cashing checks. Or maybe I'm just too picky.

Whenever someone asks me for a movie recommendation there's one that I always plug: "Deep Blue World." Great story (if you don't mind being denied a happy ending), great acting, great plot, and if you watch it with the wife she probably won't lose interest in it. You'll find it in the "Foreign" section; don't be afraid to check out the other stuff there while you're looking for it. It's got to be the best of the best to even make it here. And after you'd done watching this one, contrast and compare with "Pearl Harbor," which cost more than ten times as much to make and told basically the same story, and you'll understand why I gripe so much about recent American films.

Microcosmos -- 1991 Critters of the small kind are featured in this interesting look at the seldom-explored world of insects, snails and other undersized creatures as they go about their daily lives. By using unique microscopic cameras and powerful specialized microphones, this highly praised French documentary gives new meaning to "a bug's life."

The Natural History of the Chicken (2001) Although chicken is a staple in the diet of most Americans, the history of this tasty bird has yet to be really explored -- until now. Poultry is as popular as ever as an entrée choice, and this tongue-in-cheek documentary sets out to uncover the truth about the bird that has touched the lives, and stomachs, of so many. Included are amusing and often surprisingly touching stories that will forever change your view of the flavorful fowl.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) Come to the lab, and see what's on the slab! This notorious horror parody -- a fast-paced potpourri of camp, sci-fi and rock 'n' roll, among other things -- tracks the exploits of naïve couple Brad (Barry Bostwick) and Janet (Susan Sarandon) after they stumble across the lair of transvestite vampire Dr. Frank-N-Furter (a brilliant Tim Curry). The film bombed in its initial release but later gained a cult following at midnight showings. "

If you haven't seen this --- is there anyone who has not seen this? Well, if you haven't, do!

I had these dreams about Susan Sarandon...... sh.

Bill Marsh said:
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) Come to the lab, and see what's on the slab! This notorious horror parody -- a fast-paced potpourri of camp, sci-fi and rock 'n' roll, among other things -- tracks the exploits of naïve couple Brad (Barry Bostwick) and Janet (Susan Sarandon) after they stumble across the lair of transvestite vampire Dr. Frank-N-Furter (a brilliant Tim Curry). The film bombed in its initial release but later gained a cult following at midnight showings. "

If you haven't seen this --- is there anyone who has not seen this? Well, if you haven't, do!

I had these dreams about Susan Sarandon...... sh.

For those that haven't seen this cult classic here is a brief over-view in 30 seconds...re-enacted by bunnies

Let's do the timewarp again!

Jake

"Man on Fire"
"The Patriot"
"Ransom"
"Rat Race"

"Young Frankenstein"
"Arsenic and Old Lace"
"The Great Escape"

Recently? "Dot the Eye" was a good one!

Madmanamus said:
I have to add this Double Feature suggestion:

Bram Stoker's Dracula
followed by...
Mel Brooks' wonderful Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

Also, Raising Arizona. Very funny, with lots of heart. And, for the music lover, The Complete Monterrey Pop Festival.

Good calls, everybody.

Take care.
In that line of thought, try the Anthony Hopkins/Antonio Banderas "Legend of Zorro" and then the old George Hamilton IV spoof, "Zorro the Gay Blade." The pair make for great watching on an otherwise dull afternoon. BTW, Hamilton also made a very funny spoof of the Dracula story called "Love at First Bite", now available again. His major co-stars were Susan Saint James and Richard Benjamin, and doesn't that date the film?

Ghengis Blues

Whale Rider

I am David

Waking Ned Devine--funny as hell I promise!!

Back