Moving away from folders towards fixed blades

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Not sure what prompted this move, possibly since getting the Mini Bowie by Tactical Pterodactyl Knives might have been the turning point, and since I was fortunate enough to pick up a Raptor that just went on sale a few days ago from them, not here yet but will be soon ;) they both may be my daily EDC, using the Mini as neck carry and the Raptor, a middle sized fixed blade with a High hollow grind in magnacut steel, carried horizontally on my belt. To be sure there are slip joint folders that I have carried and will continue to do so, but those are mostly Swiss Army knife models, executive and PioneerX models plus a small slip joint in my watch pocket for smaller delicate tasks. But not a clipped folder in my pocket, at least for now.

2" blade with overall of 5"

The mini Bowie is a very handy little knife, where the Raptor will have a little more blade length for larger tasks.

If you guys and gals haven't tried any of the models from this small family knife business I would highly recommend doing so, they T TacticalPterodactylKnives are not a paid knife maker on BladeForums so I can't provide a link to their site, but you should be able to locate it easily.

So, are there any other folks that have made this move from folders to fixed blades? or any that have gone from fixed to folders?

I am sure that I am not alone in this :) but you never know
G2

Last edited:
I like that mini Bowie, Gary. I'm a big fan of small fixed-blade knives and on most days have one with me. The knife nut in me usually means there are one or two more OHO or slip joints with me also. It's a sickness, I know!

I've been doing this too. These are the culprits with pocket time so far.

I was surprised to find the little RMJ seems like the most practical. It disappears on the belt while managing to be a whole lot of knife in a tiny package. David Mary David Mary 's mostly gets used around the house, super handy. Paul Baleta Paul Baleta 's is really nice, but it is a little bigger than I usually want in a pocket (Supposed to go in my sock, I know. I just don't wear a kilt that often.) And, eh, the Vox is nice in theory but I like scales.

IMG_0359.jpeg

If you’re asking me, it’s S45vn at least that was what I was told
G2

Not sure what prompted this move, possibly since getting the Mini Bowie by Tactical Pterodactyl Knives might have been the turning point, and since I was fortunate enough to pick up a Raptor that just went on sale a few days ago from them, not here yet but will be soon ;) they both may be my daily EDC, using the Mini as neck carry and the Raptor, a middle sized fixed blade with a High hollow grind in magnacut steel, carried horizontally on my belt. To be sure there are slip joint folders that I have carried and will continue to do so, but those are mostly Swiss Army knife models, executive and PioneerX models plus a small slip joint in my watch pocket for smaller delicate tasks. But not a clipped folder in my pocket, at least for now.

2" blade with overall of 5"

The mini Bowie is a very handy little knife, where the Raptor will have a little more blade length for larger tasks.

If you guys and gals haven't tried any of the models from this small family knife business I would highly recommend doing so, they T TacticalPterodactylKnives are not a paid knife maker on BladeForums so I can't provide a link to their site, but you should be able to locate it easily.

So, are there any other folks that have made this move from folders to fixed blades? or any that have gone from fixed to folders?

I am sure that I am not alone in this :) but you never know
G2

So what are ya gonna do now with the 500+(wild gestimate 🤣) folders u have laying around?

I find I like the Loveless City Knife and Steiff Horn patterns best for casual carry. This one's out getting a new sheath made, but I have a others. You should try this pattern Gary.

hGiyxLi.jpg

Back