Mule Team™ 28 CPM® SPY27

I haven't seen any cut tests for Spy27. Do you have any references? Did BBB ever do his cut test with Spy27?

Knife Steel Nerds is predicting Spy27 will have slightly lower edge retention than S35, which has lower edge retention than S30. I would expect Larren's estimates to be close to real-world results.

Larrin said it.
I believe it.
That settles it!:thumbsup:

Welllllll.... It's December.... Boooo...

Edit: Was hope my for it as a Christmas present..

Last edited:
Sal said manufacturing had been pushed to November. Unless they're made in the U.S. they need to get shipped here. Then checked for defects, boxed up, and get ready to ship. No idea what else Spyderco has going on, but my guess is every step has a longer than usual wait due to Covid impacts. They'll get here.

There's at least one folder out there in Spy27 available today and until very recently other Mules were available and can be readily found on the used market. I'm looking forward to this one too, but there are other options.

Just saw the Byte and man! I am excited! 3 new mules? I love using mine in the kitchen, garden, and any time I want something a little off the beaten path :)

When might ordering open up for these? A couple weeks or any clues?

Damnit! I had an alert at 8PST because I dont have a clue how MST works, and by the time I remembered they were all sold out. This sucks :/

Anywhere else gonna have them?

One run and done.. Only at Spyderco..

Secondary market, will be only way to get them, now..

I got mine along with the G10 scales and Boltaron sheath. It's my first Mule and I can't wait until I get it, going to put a wicked edge on it with my KME and put it to use!

Can someone tell me status on these, it says sold out on the web site, did they all sell through?

Only Spyderco can say for sure. Other times in the past Mules have said sold out because all of the stock that had been transferred in the computers was gone, but more stock was available to be transferred. Not saying that is the case here, though.

Can someone tell me status on these, it says sold out on the web site, did they all sell through?

Keep checking the page - they were for sale online and in-store. It is possible that Spyderco may add their store inventory to web-ordering system.

Keep checking the page - they were for sale online and in-store. It is possible that Spyderco may add their store inventory to web-ordering system.
That’s what I’m hoping, thanks for the positive response!:D

I managed to get mine ordered
They ran out is sheaths and handles as well
I ordered those yesterday so I wouldn't miss them

They were in a higher demand than we expected. I'm discussing the possibility of making more with the staff. It's really hard to determine quantity at this time. It's been years since we made them and the market has changed. Since we have to plan these 1 to 2 years in advance, it makes it even harder. We're waiting to see if the next Mules are as high in demand, or was it just the SPY27?

sal

They were in a higher demand than we expected. I'm discussing the possibility of making more with the staff. It's really hard to determine quantity at this time. It's been years since we made them and the market has changed. Since we have to plan these 1 to 2 years in advance, it makes it even harder. We're waiting to see if the next Mules are as high in demand, or was it just the SPY27?

sal

I think a lot of people were excited to see the mules come back. And, the fact that this one was your new proprietary steel (SPY27) made it very popular.

I would fathom to guess that the MT31 in S45VN will not be quite as popular, but, if the early chatter is any indication, then MT29 in Z-Max will be in very high demand when they are available.

I have my two MT-28's on the way to me now. One will get an ironwood handle to serve as a new hunting knife and the other will get a gorgeous nephrite jade handle and will be subjected to some serious day to day testing.

So far I am loving my Para 3 in SPY27 and I can hardly wait for my mules to arrive so I can get working with them.

Bummer, been collecting two of each since the beginning, one to put a handle on, one put away untouched. Have to keep a better eye out for these and hopefully it doesn’t get popular with flippers.:(

Bummer, been collecting two of each since the beginning, one to put a handle on, one put away untouched. Have to keep a better eye out for these and hopefully it doesn’t get popular with flippers.:(

From what I seen, the Mules are already very popular w/flippers (or at least for later resale of "extras" of those who bought "just" 2 of each, as you apparently have) based on potential profits of at least 2-3x's MSRP soon after the release is sold out and up to 7x's for popular versions that are sold much later.

sal

I can only speak for myself, but I was very excited to try out the SPY27. I have 3 mules, and love to use them in the kitchen, garden, and whenever else I want a simple fixed blade that I dont mind getting dirty :)

I feel like a lot of people are into flipping for profit/modding stuff nowadays, so I think the combo of steel+mule team return made these fly off the shelves. If they're gonna be a small run, maybe limiting to 1 per person might give more people a chance to get one?

Back