1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My BK9 Fighter...in progress... UPDATE Pg. 4 & 5

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by devilpig, Jun 21, 2011.

1. devilpig

devilpig

Mar 23, 2010
    So I got my BK9 in today at approximately 3pm. I already had the plans in my head so when it showed up I got to work. Some tan micarta scales are on the way as well that will likely end up brown. I'll get to the pics:

Fresh out of the box:
    [​IMG]

Stripped:
    [​IMG]

Removed the hump on the spine (there's still a small notch that goes below the spine line...I will likely replicate this over several times which will end up as jimping):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT, finished:

[​IMG]

Rest of the pics are on pgs. 4 and 5

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    knoefz likes this.
  2. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Lookin' good, how much time would you say you spent with that mill fill taking off the thumb ramp?

3. NixKustoms

NixKustoms Sheath and Knife Maker

Dec 30, 2010
    I wanna see what happens with this one! :thumbup:

4. devilpig

devilpig

Mar 23, 2010
    Well, I have to be honest, I didn't use the file for the whole job. I used a slow speed grinding wheel and a lot of quenching to get it down to about 1/8" off the spine line. Then I finished it by hand with a 14" then a 9" mill file.

5. FAL'ER

Mar 31, 2010
    Cool, thats how I would've done it too.

6. devilpig

devilpig

Mar 23, 2010
    Next came working on transforming it into more of a clip point. The idea here is that I have plenty of utility blades, machetes, hatchets and axes...and I just wanted something that was mean looking, sort of Rambo-esque. I took as much material off here as I could with the grinding wheel again (which wasn't much) then went to work with a file once more. This took a while...much longer than flattening the spine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's how it sits in my workshop right now...I still have a little sanding to do to get the file marks off the edge of the newly sharpened clip.

[​IMG]

The micarta should be in soon. The pommel is going to be re-worked as well. I have several examples of others' knives that have been somewhat of an inspiration to this project...I will pay credit when I've finished.

knoefz likes this.
  7. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    going to fashion a D guard? :)

8. devilpig

devilpig

Mar 23, 2010
    The thought has crossed my mind...but I might save that for another project.

I do have a question though....what does everyone think of the idea of adding a blade fuller? Since this isn't going to be a "chopper" it might save some weight and look cool as well.

9. FAL'ER

Mar 31, 2010
    I know what a "fuller" is, but not what they're for. Is it like a blood groove?

10. devilpig

devilpig

Mar 23, 2010
    Yeah, I was using the technical term :p

Their purpose is typically to add lateral stiffness while reducing weight...neither of which are really a concern with the BK9, but I thought it might look cool. Very similar to this:

[​IMG]

11. Flexxx

Flexxx Banned BANNED

Dec 11, 2010
    Thats pretty sweet, nice work....

12. extremesurvival

extremesurvival

Aug 16, 2002
    Man, nice work! That clip point looks great and I'd love to see a fuller on this one!

13. FAL'ER

Mar 31, 2010
    In regards to the fuller, Proceed my good man.

14. Goose_52

Goose_52

Feb 8, 2009
    Looks pretty sweet! I'm looking foward to seeing the rest.

15. devilpig

devilpig

Mar 23, 2010
    Ugh, the micarta is taking longer than expected to get here. Just checked the status and I don't think its even shipped yet. Maybe I should just go ahead and make some of my own for this project and use the ones that come in the mail for my BK2?

16. hawkhead

hawkhead Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Your 9 is looking good. Adding the fullers along with all your mods are turning a great chopper into a mean fighter. I can't wait to see the finished knife.

17. devilpig

devilpig

Mar 23, 2010
    I might have to look into a G10 for the grips also...and I gotta start thinking about the sheath too.

18. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011
    NICE MODS !!! The tip now looks similar to the Ontario SP10 Marine Raider Bowie.

[​IMG]

19. devilpig

devilpig

Mar 23, 2010
    Yep, that look is one of the things that influenced the shape I decided on.

20. zaleski

zaleski

Feb 6, 2011
    That Knife looks awesome man, i always liked the idea of sharpening the swedge on a bk9.... stabby.stabby......