My new EDC

My current edc is a blue Kershaw Skyline with S30V steel I bought here about 4 or 5 years ago.... maybe longer?? Anyway, my wife says I'm stuck in my ways so I switched out to a Skyline with red scales last week but she wasn't falling for it. I could carry one of the many others in that drawer (you know that drawer?) but the Skyline seems to fit me, old and square! :) Anyway I am looking for something close to a skyline but maybe more into the 21st century!

Why do I like the Skyline? I like the blade size and shape. I really like how light and especially thin it fits in my pocket for it's size. Most of all I like the action. Okay, I don't like the action at all but I made it work since everything else fits. So I'm looking for something similar with better action to ease my aging fingers!

After looking at what's available, I think I'm going to try a Civivi Elementum. It is a little smaller than a Skyline and uses D2 steel which I'm not a huge fan of, but is it a good choice? Or is there something closer to a Skyline I should be looking at? Thanks

And you haven’t shown her the CRK website :eek:

Good call! Unfortunately she knows very well how much they cost. I have a Small Sebenza I use for fancy things like weddings and such. I couldn't really justify one as an edc though. I beat em up too much and I can't tell you how many knives TSA has because I was stupid enough to forget and leave them at home. Granted I would probably miss a flight and mail a CRK rather than lose it. No, I think I'll stick with $100 or less for an edc. Another reason Skyline has been my goto, cheap!

Okay then, if you like a light and thin carry, it doesn't get any better than the Benchmade Bugout.

It has S30V with which you are familiar, you can get one in a variety of colors, and even upgrade the scales later if you like.

Yeah, it's a tad over the $Century Mark, but it's worth it. Or find one here on the exchange that's in your price wheelhouse.

Okay then, if you like a light and thin carry, it doesn't get any better than the Benchmade Bugout.

Nice, got to check it out some more but definitely a really nice looking knife and I like (mostly) Benchmade quality! I still have an old Benchmade Ambush that is very well made as well but it's a beast so it sits in the "drawer" of I thought I would like this knife. Thanks for the tip Velitrius!

I’ve gravitated toward special editions with non standard metals of whatever. My current favorite carry is a 204p PM2 and I just love how nice the metal is to work with and sharpen. Next purchase will likely be venev stones rather than a knife - thank you Michael Christy!

my 2 cents: find a design that moves you and see if there’s an interesting metal used... and tool steels are great too!

Civivi elementum looks over hyped IMO
I prefer the Massdrop / Drop Gent
Give a look at the BM Bugout if you like light blades

If you can find the drop point model, the Buck 112 Slim is similar to the Skyline. Sorry for the rubbish picture.
qJQCPZP.jpg

My choice although a bit over the $100 mark would be the all black Bugout. Hard to go wrong with this Benchmade. Maybe even the new mini version if you wanted to go smaller.

If your wife is telling you that you're too set in your ways, I suspect she ain't really talking about your preferred choice of pocket knife. :p

Still, it's very thoughtful of her to recognize your interest in pocket knives--that's really the important part. Let her gift you something she picks out and, whether you like it or not, carry it on your anniversary and/or Valentine's Day. 'Special Occasion duty.' :D

I think there are many knife nuts out there who would cheerfully part with all of their high end knives before even considering getting rid of a single gas-station POS that a loved one gifted them. I've been wrong before, though...

Back on track, though, I'd recommend a Spyderco Delica or maybe a Para-Military 2/3 if you want more choice in steel. Both are excellent EDC designs that you won't be afraid to carry and use.

Good luck, OP!

Buy a handgun or AR, carry it around the house, and see if she tells you to buy another one for "something different" while you're at it. ;) Worth a shot.

Check out Knifeworks exclusive Benchmade Grizzly Ridge S30V. Currently $80. Great knife! Slightly bigger blade and not a flipper tho. Not sure if that is a deal breaker for you.

Kizer has several offerings.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-Tomcat-Splinter-Frame-Lock--52424
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-Mikkel-Willumsen-Barbosa--52448
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kizer-Vanguard-Dukes-Liner-Lock--36951

I can't believe I'm recommending a SOG but the Terminus in S35VN looks good. There is room in the budget for a new pocket clip. Hopefully someone makes one. Too small of a blade tho?
https://www.bladehq.com/item--SOG-Terminus-XR-Lock-Knife-Black-G--108532

Good luck!

Civivi elementum looks over hyped IMO
I prefer the Massdrop / Drop Gent
Give a look at the BM Bugout if you like light blades

I do think if the elementum had some better steel it would be a sweet knife. The Massdrop Ferrum Forge Gent does look really nice. Thanks!

Back