My new EDC

Such good suggestions from all of you. Thank you everyone!

Well, what did I end up getting? I did pre order a Massdrop x Ferrum Forge Gent because it spoke to me... carry me bro!!! But given that I am a creature of habit, whatever I choose needs to be available to purchase in the future. Not sure about the Gent, so, the wife is getting me a Benchmade Bugout which should be in production for some time. And... just in case... I will give my Skyline a facelift with some really sexy titanium scales from Flytanium. Just in case!! :)

Here she is in all her glory, my current EDC. Also have another just like her in case I break or lose this one. Again, thank you all for helping me! Great group of people here!

sc3ruPg.jpg
9E2apVU.jpg

Great choices man, the Gent is a heck of a knife! S35VN, titanium liners, buttery smooth action, and scales that can be easily swapped if you want to mix it up. It’s a pretty thin knife too. I think you’re going to love it.

And the Bugout? Well there’s a good reason they have a cult-like following, lol.

...Late to the 'Q & A's , but it looks like you received plenty of suggestions, and made some good choices. Gotta love a Skyline, and with upgraded
steel, etc :thumbsup:
I would second the Hogue Deka. This is something “new” and different...
-What do you make of what appears to be an excess of frame screws on this piece ?

It is nice to see someone enjoy a plain vanilla knife like the Skyline.
Great, now I'm craving icecream, & it's after 2 A.M.,
like I could destroy a Hot Fudge Sundae right about now, too bad lacking the 'makins'...wonder if one would help me sleep. :eek:

Most of the time it seems like all people want is some super fancy folder with tons of bling.
...I've got Two original Skylines, w/Sanvick steel, one is mirror polished, and I'm perfectly satisfied
with them.
:thumbsup:
B.T.B. :cool:

...Late to the 'Q & A's , but it looks like you received plenty of suggestions, and made some good choices. Gotta love a Skyline, and with upgraded
steel, etc :thumbsup:

...I've got Two original Skylines, w/Sanvick steel, one is mirror polished, and I'm perfectly satisfied
with them.
:thumbsup:
B.T.B. :cool:

I have two of Kershaw’s US made Zing models They are also Sandvik steel. You can get an amazing edge with very little effort.

If the Skyline is half the knife the Zing is, you have an excellent knife.

I like my Zing so much that I have requested that I have one buried with me.

I have two of Kershaw’s US made Zing models They are also Sandvik steel. You can get an amazing edge with very little effort.
If the Skyline is half the knife the Zing is, you have an excellent knife.
I like my Zing so much that I have requested that I have one buried with me.
...I've got one, (almost acquired Two, as well...
Very unique, i.e. the blade striations, much like the
Kershaw Groove, if your familiar, Excellent piece,
in Sandvik, as well.
-I also have a couple of the newer 8Cr13MoV
Zings in S.S., assisted, like them too.
...Yes, if you haven't tried the original Skyline,
I would recommend it highly. :thumbsup:
I almost was able to acquire one in Damascus,
that would've been sweet.
B.T.B.

...I've got one, (almost acquired Two, as well...
Very unique, i.e. the blade striations, much like the
Kershaw Groove, if your familiar, Excellent piece,
in Sandvik, as well.
-I also have a couple of the newer 8Cr13MoV
Zings in S.S., assisted, like them too.
...Yes, if you haven't tried the original Skyline,
I would recommend it highly. :thumbsup:
I almost was able to acquire one in Damascus,
that would've been sweet.
B.T.B.
The new Zing does nothing for me. I don’t need AO and they took away almost everything that makes the Zing special.

Which Zing do you have?
Black, orange, or green, Tanto or DP?

Maybe take out the SpeedSafe and the Stainless would be OK.

just finished adding an osage orange handle to this small blade. should make a fine EDC
YStiSIW.jpg

here is a blowup to show the blade shape a little better
CFMLxbf.jpg

Last edited:
just finished adding an osage orange handle to this small blade. should make a fine EDC
YStiSIW.jpg

The proportions and grind recall a lot of small Anzas. I like the full length handle with the short blade, a good combination for a utility knife.

I like orange handled knives but, I’ve always done synthetics. Maybe it is time for something natural.

RAT 1 or 2?
One of the Spiderco Boyd in the size you like?

Sorry. I'll shut up and go away.

B Billy The Blade ,

I have two, one black, one orange. I used to have a black blade Tonto also. That one I got rid of it in a PIF thread.

The green was a Damascus only version. The last time I saw one of those available was on eBay and it was beat to smithereens. The tip of the blade was gone and it still sold for $204! Somebody wanted it really really bad.

They’ve also made the zing with G 10 handles and assisted opening. They go for about 30 bucks if you can find them. I’ve seen them in black, green, tan, and blue.

EDIT: Spelling.

Last edited:
Back