1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My rehandle and shield projects (with tutorials)

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    I chucked pin in my drillpress and held a file against it.

Ramrodmb and waverave like this.
  2. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    I thought what he meant was put the pin stock in the drill and file it down with a file while the drill is spinning.

waverave likes this.
  3. ea42

ea42 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Knife shop machinists usual refer to pin sizes in decimal, and drill bits in decimal or corresponding size number. A common center pin and bolster pin size is .086", which would be drilled with a number 44 drill. Another common pin size is .093", with the drill being #41. A few useful tools would be a set of pin gauges, a drill/wire gauge, and a Vernier caliper. These help to take a lot of guesswork out of hole/pin sizes.

Eric

zolthar, Peregrin and waverave like this.
  4. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I got that part but in a previous post he mentioned acquiring drill bits in various sizes...just wasn't sure the context exactly since we were talking about modifying pins.

Sacto likes this.
  5. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    I do have a drill press and will definitely try that next time :thumbsup:

6. Sacto

Jun 27, 2017
    I have also had various issues with pins. I wonder if part of the problem is the tolerances in the manufacturing of the pin stock. Depending on where the pins come from, the diameter may not be super precise.

7. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    I started to answer this and got about 5 paragraphs in and erased it because I was rambling terribly. The drill bits are for drilling the pin holes after gluing and placing the covers if they aren’t very close to the right size you’re either drilling the hole too small or too big. Too small and the pin is held by whatever the cover material is which if there is any shearing force may crack the covers. Too big and it has to be peined more and there is the possibility of side to side movement or you have to drill the spring to match which may work but in my opinion it’s not worth the trouble (other opinions may vary) basically for me right now the challenge has been in getting the right drill bit for the size of the hole in the spring pin. I don’t think the other pins matter as much, like the ones that hold the covers on or the back pin. I’ll stop before I start rambling again.

waverave likes this.
  8. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Got it thank you :thumbsup: You are saying it is best to have a good variety of bits that properly fit the existing holes and then grind down a pin to size...which makes perfect sense. I have been using a 1/16", 5/64" and 3/32" bit primarily...which correspond to my pin stock sizes.
    Thanks for the feedback!

9. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    That’s pretty much what I’m talking about except with a hand drill

I’ve seen the decimal pin stock which corresponds to a fraction but I haven’t seen these drill bit sizes, but I haven’t found any pins that are the proper size for the pre-existing holes in at lease GEC, Dwight Devine or a case knife, what’s worse is that the different holes seem to be drilled to different sizes. I’ll check into those bits thanks

That certainly may be the case because I’ve have a few where a very small amount needed to be removed from the pin for it to fit.
    Edited to remove rambling

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  10. jsdistin

May 27, 2016
    That’s exactly what I had started out doing and am just recently doing it the new way because of a few issues I’ve noticed, none catastrophic though.

11. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Finally had time to work on things...and got this project done (the right way this time).
    It still cost me a few more 1/32" router bits but it went a lot better this time. I stuck a .008" feeler in between the blade and liner when I peened the pivot pin and it worked great.
    Next I need to work on getting the pivot pin to blend with the bolsters better...not easy to do!
    Anyway, I really like how this turned out.
    RoughRyderSwayback.jpg

SteveC, JohnDF, Cutfinger and 10 others like this.
  12. jsdistin

May 27, 2016
    That’s looking good. I read about putting the feeler gauge between the blade and liner when I started modding a couple years ago but for some reason never got one, I like making things dumber and more difficult I guess. Maybe try just piening more the bolsters won’t break and the only issue with the pivot pin is over tightening the joint and locking it up which shouldn’t be an issue with a shim in there, also feathering the outer edges of the pin works as well but you easily end up with hammer marks that then need to be filed and sanded out but it really reduces the visibility of the pin when you’re done.

waverave likes this.
  13. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Good reading here Darren. I'm getting into recovering myself. I started a knife recently but put it on hold while I remodel my work area and order in some basic tooling for these projects. I purchased a small belt sander. Dremel Moto Saw, Dremel workstation. Calipers and 123 blocks and a granite cutting board. Need to get a dremel router attachment still but my first couple knives I plan to not do shields. Thanks for sharing your experiences. They will be helpful for me!

waverave and CasePeanut like this.
  14. Sacto

Jun 27, 2017
    Great looking knife. I can’t believe you’ve only done a few so far. You’re progressing faster that I am, for sure.

waverave likes this.
  15. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I think you've found your calling... you're progressing rapidly. :cool::thumbsup:

16. garryt

garryt

Dec 8, 2013
    Excellent stuff - keep it coming........:D

waverave likes this.