My temporary resignation from knife purchasing. (Very temporary... ^_~)

C

Congratulations on being debt free. I bet you dont believe in 400 dollar pocket knives.
Best of luck.

Well, I haven't bought a $400 knife yet . . . and probably won't unless I find the ultimate be-all end-all knife and it's $400.

My modest assortment of knives are all users. I don't buy knives just to look at because I know there would be no end to it. I look at the classifieds on this forum every day, and I could pick a dozen knives every single day that I think are beautiful that I'd like to own. I've got other priorities for my money, so I have to vicariously enjoy all those beautiful knives via reading this forum.

Well, I haven't bought a $400 knife yet . . . and probably won't unless I find the ultimate be-all end-all knife and it's $400.

My modest assortment of knives are all users. I don't buy knives just to look at because I know there would be no end to it. I look at the classifieds on this forum every day, and I could pick a dozen knives every single day that I think are beautiful that I'd like to own. I've got other priorities for my money, so I have to vicariously enjoy all those beautiful knives via reading this forum.
I think you have a good attitude about the cutlery obsession. Using is not a requirement for me although I won't buy one anymore that I know I won't use. I have been restraining my knife buying impulses this year a bit. Thinking seriously of not attending the Blade Show as I "know" my tendencies and I would likely spend a lot of money I don't need to (and probably shouldn't) there. Still pondering the Blade Show visit as I can just jump in the car and go if I want to. No hotel. No preparation other than having the time free.

Over the past couple months, I've had plenty of time to think about the amount of money I spend on the knife hobby, and the benefit I receive. I think all of us question our spending.

I contracted a particularly virulent strain of MRSA that was in my urinary tract, my entire blood stream, and I had a couple liters of essentially pus in my belly. Of these 3 different forms of MRSA, one was able to be fought with a standard antibiotic; one of the infections was treatable only by 2 antibiotics; and the 3rd was treatable only with a single antibiotic - there is only the one drug in the entire world capable of battling it.

As I write this, I am finally home. I am running 2 IV lines 17 hours per day. The doctors tell me that I was remarkably strong, and that they have never seen anybody live through this. When I was brought into the hospital, I was septic with fevers spiking to 104, then immediately dropping back so that a normal thermometer was useless. I did not recognize my wife, my house, my dog team...nothing.

After a couple weeks in the hospital bed, thinking about my life, I came to realize that if I take joy in collecting knives, then knives are extremely important to me, and that whatever money I do spend on knives is money well spent. To find some enjoyment, some pleasure, some escape from the pain is worth the price of admission.

Over the past couple months, I've had plenty of time to think about the amount of money I spend on the knife hobby, and the benefit I receive. I think all of us question our spending.
<snip>
After a couple weeks in the hospital bed, thinking about my life, I came to realize that if I take joy in collecting knives, then knives are extremely important to me, and that whatever money I do spend on knives is money well spent. To find some enjoyment, some pleasure, some escape from the pain is worth the price of admission.
I also find joy in accumulating or collecting knives. The benefit is primarily intangible. Glad you survived the unsurvivable. It certainly helps to keep things in perspective. My sister "clamped down" on my brother-in-law's affinity for "expensive" knives (meaning expensive to her) and knives in general and I think she went a bit overboard as it was a small thing that brought pleasure to him. It is part of what made him "him".

This doesn't mean you can't slow the pace down a bit and enjoy what you already have rather than always looking for the next one.

This doesn't mean you can't slow the pace down a bit and enjoy what you already have rather than always looking for the next one.

Agreed. If you want a real eyeopener, just pick some knives that you bought and never have really taken the time to use and put each one through a 90-day trial run.

There are only about a half dozen knives (at most) that have kept my interest for years. Most of them I already own. Very happy with my collection right now. I can think of only three that I would seriously like to add.

pixlr_20180528185315901.jpg

Tried my best, guys. ;)

To give myself a tiny amount of cred, I sold knives to get this. Hopefully that counts for something! ^_^

On another note, customized knives are sure pricey. ;0

How're you all doing today? :] Happy Memorial Day ♡

~ Sparkly

Last edited:

Tried my best, guys. ;)

To give myself a tiny amount of cred, I sold knives to get this. Hopefully that counts for something! ^_^

~ Sparkly
You follow your own collecting path. We all collect differently and for different reasons with different goals. Some of us don't even collect at all! I do, but some of us don't.;)

I doubt anyone ever truly leaves this hobby, or if they do they are far and few compared to us repeat offenders. :D heck I even have trouble justifying selling any of my knives, and honestly a part of me regrets most of the ones I do sell.

Tried my best, guys. ;)

~ Sparkly
Good one. Looks great!

Zieg

Back