1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My thoughts about carrying a military for a while

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by fanucman, Apr 9, 2017.

1. fanucman

fanucman

Jan 31, 2016
    The military wasn't really on my radar for a while because in pictures it looked too big to practically carry around. I saw one in the exchange, though, for a good deal and picked it up because I thought it would be good for hiking and camping, since the paramilitary is on the small side for outdoor activities such as fighting lions and bears, or chopping down trees (you know, the stuff everyone is using their knives for when they hike). Anyhow, I had fairly low expectations for the military but nonetheless ordered a deep carry clip and standoffs to get rid of the backspacer to have ready for it.

When I first opened the package the knife came in, then held it, it did seem quite large. My spyderco experience has mostly been delica, DF2, PM2, and manix 2, all of which are quite a bit shorter than the military. That said, with the deep carry clip, it carries very small and light in the pocket. It's thin and takes up significantly less pocket than a manix, and is about the same as a PM2 in practice. It is also quite light, which makes it feel cheap at first since it is large so it does not feel as dense as even a delica.

In practical use, the longer blade is simply better than the shorter PM2 in my opinion. The ergonomics are even better than the PM2 because of the roomy handle, and it actually feels almost the same in the choil grip, besides the longer blade obviously.

I think the tip down carry puts a lot of people off but I personally got used to it and am now considering changing the PM2 to tip down.

As far as the lock, it's a good lock and is easy to operate one handed. It's not as cool as the compression lock but because of the choil there's little to no risk of hurting yourself while closing it quickly and in practice it's almost as good as the compression lock and just as intuitive.

I think I'm officially converted from the PM2 and have recently had no desire at all to carry it versus the military. If it's not illegal where you live I'd say give it a try because it is a better knife than the PM2.

2. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    Military... all day, every day! My absolute favorite folder.

3. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Right on!
    Military

4. TX180SX

TX180SX Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2011
    the one knife I always have on me is the millie. I take all the clips off of em, and I carry in a bandana in my back pocket. so the whole tip up/down discussion doesn't matter to me. Currently carrying my Cruwear but my M390 is the current favorite. This won't be your last millie, they are just too good to not experience the different steels. :thumbup:

5. fanucman

fanucman

Jan 31, 2016
    Yeah, I'm probably gonna get either the upcoming M4 or S90V Military.

6. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. Edgesnarf

Edgesnarf

Sep 7, 2013
    Whoa,whoa, whoa! I've had trouble trying to swap blades between the liner-lock models. How did you get the liner-lock cruwear to work with the fluted titanium frame-lock? Or is this photo shop?

8. FK

FK Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Spyderco Military has been a favorite since my first in about 1998.

Currently have three with one more on the horizon.

Regards,
    FK

9. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

No it's not PS. I have this S90V I did too. They just worked. I had to use the torx pivot of the S90V in the Fluted Titanium though. The pivot hole in the blade is a different size for the torx pivot.

10. bearfacedkiller

bearfacedkiller

Jan 23, 2014
    I have a hard time grabbing a Para2 over a Military most days. I prefer tip down anyway.

11. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    The Military rocks! I'll always have one in my cutlery arsenal!

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  12. Edgesnarf

Edgesnarf

Sep 7, 2013
    Sweet! I'd love to get a fluted titanium military and use one of my 204p blades

13. Sigsog226

Sigsog226 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I was thinking about grabbing a s90v one too. I keep selling my military whenever i get one for whatever reason. This time im just going to buy one and keep it. So many steel choices to pick from though.

14. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    Agreed 100%

15. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I'm a tip up guy and very much a Para2 devotee.
    But I really like the Military, the tip down carry works just fine I have no problem adjusting to that. It was that which held me off getting a Military for quite a while - and I shouldn't have worried, I now know why the Military has such a strong following.

It's not so much the carry position as having the clip at that end when handling/using the knife that I'm not entirely comfortable with.
    So I went for tip up Military and it works great for me, particularly in S90V.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I prettied up a Military (contoured OD micarta scales, etched & stonewashed blade) with the intent of carrying it regularly. It somehow opened in my pocket, and sliced open my favorite pants. Don't think I've carried it since...(I should probably consider doing something about that) .

17. fanucman

fanucman

Jan 31, 2016
    Cursum where did those custom scales come from? Talk about deluxe looking. All I know is I want another military... lol...

18. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Steve Ketchen made them for me, the guys a craftsman, I love this thing.
    Nuts for the clip screws are recessed inside the scales, Kirinite on a layer of black G10. I don't want a lanyard tube so a spacer for one of the clip screws is in there instead. Torx screws are T8 on scales and T15 on pivot.

Slightly rounded contour makes it so comfortable in hand. Should update pics, these are taken back when I got it, but it has hardly any marks on it so far. Though it is my going out Military, not a work knife, so it gets treated nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    TOO much!!^ Gratzee.
    I love the Millie and would get one but my Para 1 still holds me.
    rolf

20. Jamesh Bond

Jamesh Bond

Jan 14, 2007
    Bandana?
    Plz explain?

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk