My thoughts about carrying a military for a while

I'm curious about this as well, I only have liner lock versions so far. First frame lock will be the KW release.

I normally do not trust liner locks. However, Spyderco does it right on the Military. A good back lock would be better, but this is still a great knife. I trust no other company's liner or frame lock.

I need to add that this is the knife I keep by my bedside. I like this knife much more than the PM2.

I've read other companies having lock rock with their liner locks and that's a deal breaker for me right there.

I wasn't sure if this was an inherit issue with liner locks in general.

I have been thinking of having one and removing the clip and sticking it in my back pocket with my wallet.
Though cruwear had been calling me, if they make a Maxamet, my will would definitely break.

The Military rules the earth.

Question : I've always been turned off by liner locks. But the S110V and 204P Militaries look nice. So how solid do the liner lock Militaries lock up compared to the Ti frame lock versions?

The thicker framelock seems more sturdy in my mind than the thinner liner lock. But I have limited experienc with liner locks. Thus my question.

They lock up very firmly. I prefer the frame lock but it's possible that the liner lock is stronger in this case. The locking leaf is very short and well-supported. Their relative strength has been discussed here over the years. I don't think Spyderco has ever quoted any specific figures, but I don't think I've ever read a post about a Military with a liner lock failing.

IIRC, Spyderco categorizes both the liner lock and the frame lock in their Heavy Duty range (if memory serves, between 150 and 200 lbs per inch), but I've been wrong before so don't quote me on this one.

With all it's popularity, I had high hopes for the Military. I ordered a lefty Millie, cut my thumb closing it, and generally didn't "get" it. I sold it off. A year or two later, after it had been discontinued (of course), I got a bug to revisit it. I don't recall exactly why. Fortunately I found one LNIB for ~$80 on eBay. I had absolutely zero fear that I was buying a counterfeit LEFTY Millie.

That 2nd lefty Military has been my primary EDC since. So much blade in a thin, perfectly executed, light package. I'm glad that the lefty is only available in plain-vanilla S30V and boring black G10, so that I don't ever have to be tempted to spend $$$$+ on all the variants.

'cause I would.

It took me three tries with a PM2 and two tries the Military to get it. Once you get it though, oh man. So well done.

I was really underwhelmed when I first got a millie. I actually disliked it such that I decided to use for everything on the farm. When I really used it a lot, it clicked. Now it's my most carried model.

It took me three tries with a PM2 and two tries the Military to get it. Once you get it though, oh man. So well done.

Yeah I bought, did not "get", and then sold a PM2. I still don't get it, even though it's still teh innarwebs favorite pocketknife.

Yeah I bought, did not "get", and then sold a PM2. I still don't get it, even though it's still teh innarwebs favorite pocketknife.
I can live without the PM2. The compression lock is annoying.

Haven't tried a pm2, I probably should but the military is so good I can't buy anything else from spyderco. Still want to get a GB1 and perhaps a Valloton. But these millie sprints keep coming out! :mad:

The Para2 does nothing for me.

But the compression lock does. I really like it.

I'd love a Military with the compression lock.

I am waiting on Police 4 as a large folder with a different lock. Meantime, I will enjoy my liner lock.

IrdydNql.jpg

Back