My top five questions I ask myself before choosing a knife

1. What are the top 3 types of of lock ups on the market?

2. What are the top 3 steels on the market?

3. What are the top 3 one hand deployment and closures on market(no matter what hand you use)?

4. Can my knife be used effectly for all three areas of carry.. EDC, Hunting, and Tactical if truly needed? Not some pretty knife you put on a shelf or case!

5. What are the 3 best warranty companies for knife makers if something happens to my knife?

If a knife can be the answer within all five of these questions I can trust the knife. If it reaches the top one or two positions in each question then it's a great knife.

My main criteria is that I like it. :) I don't make this knife choosing thing too complicated as I buy all kinds of knives from time to time and don't restrict myself.

Affording the knife is important too.

I don't pay much attention to warranties other than the knife manufacturer has a presence in the US and if I had to I could contact them. The only time I have ever used a warranty was when I was a kid and my Case Barlow's main blade snapped off when I was cutting a stick. They replaced it and I was forever grateful as I really couldn't afford to buy another at that time in my life. I saved up a long time for the one that broke. Now, I would just buy another one and not worry about it.

Have no idea what the "top three steels" are currently. Don't really care that much.

By my math, I think the OP's criteria results in 162 types of knives. Hard to choose one from that. Seems like a sure way to spiral into despair.

As long as you don’t ask “do I need it”, you likely belong here.

I don’t overthink my purchases. If I want it and can afford it, I buy it. Simple.

#1,2,3,5 you are probably never going to get anywhere close to an empirical answer. #4 only you can answer for yourself, since you know your needs for each role. You'll save money with this system I guess...

3. What are the top 3 one hand deployment and closures on market(no matter what hand you use)?
So what I’m hearing is that you let market trends and preferences choose your knife for you.

Have you ever bought a knife that YOU like? With a steel and lock that YOU like? Or do you just follow whatever the market determines is best?

4. Can my knife be used effectly for all three areas of carry.. EDC, Hunting, and Tactical if truly needed? Not some pretty knife you put on a shelf or case!

Every knife has to cover all the bases? Have you ever bought a knife with a more specific purpose in mind rather than one that compromises to be able to do things that have completely different requirements?

If a knife can be the answer within all five of these questions I can trust the knife. If it reaches the top one or two positions in each question then it's a great knife.

So whether you consider it a great knife has more to do with how the market judges it and not your own opinion?

Since when did being able to afford it have anything to do with it?

Rarely, but it sounded good :D

And to clarify, inherent in the "do I like it?" is that it isn't junk.

Last edited:

5. What are the 3 best warranty companies for knife makers if something happens to my knife?

That will limit you quite a bit.

So if a knife doesn't make top 3 in any category you can't buy it?

Seems like #5 limits you to 3 brands, can you share what they are?

If I asked those questions, I probably would have more money in the bank and less cool knives to look at and use.

What defines a great knife, to me, is it's amazing to use AND it looks good in use. I'm going to be looking at it, might as well enjoy it. That can be applied to more parts of life than just knives ;)

I only ask myself « what will I use it for? Are de design and materials coherent with this use? »

Back