My Winter Anorak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very impressed with your design/workmanship. I also contemplated something along your lines but never started it.

You're a big dude right? Did you have to use more than one blanket for one anorak? I am in the process of practicing on our new (to us) antique sewing machine with just such a project in mind.

Awesome work. I love the idea of having two separate layers. With that in mind, I'd almost rather have a full button front on the outer layer if I were to make one for myself. Being able to fully open up the front of an outer layer for me is a great asset to body temp regulation. It would be a lot more work to make, but I've always preferred button front to a pullover. Either way, I you've come up with a terrific design.

I like it a lot. Any thought to a front pocket? One that is like those on a pullover hooded sweatshirt-for handwarming purposes more than anything...

What would happen with a wool inside layer, then a water proof shell of some type?
Or did you not go that way to keep it rustic looking? which would be fine too.:D:thumbup:

A couple of you have made mention to a waterproof outer layer.....

The anorak fits perfectly inside an army poncho so if it is a wet snow I can throw that overtop. I do like the Idea of an oiled canvas outer shell as it would breath a little better than the poncho.... I'll be thinking on that one for sure.

Fonly.....
For this system to work properly it needs to breath. If I had a permanent waterproof shell, I would definately overheat. It's not just for looks.... I do like the rustic look... but not at the expense of performance.

Marcelo.....
I only needed one blanket for each layer and the side cutouts made the hood. I am 5'10", 220lbs.... typical French-Canadian "Lego-Man". I take an XL top usually. Blankets come in different sizes so make sure you know what you're getting if you order from surplus.

Rocky.....
I had a front pocket on the second prototype and didn't actually use it that much. I also had a habit of putting items in it that either fell out or got packed up when I took it off......... "No pockets for me!"

Rick

You have inspired me to start working on one of my own. Great function in that garment. I will post my progress.

Good stuff..... if I can help, let me know.... I've made 4 of these things now... and learnt a little each time... maybe you can learn from my mistakes, too..... lol.

The weave on the blankets is tight and with the two.... I can't feel the heaviest of winds...

Awesome idea, Magnussen :thumbup: In fact, I now know where to get wool-felt material for the zip-up hoodie I've wanted to make: Army surplus blankets.

You asked for improvement suggestions, so I'll toss out what I'd do with it:
- line the entire garment with gthe webbing. It's a little more work, but it'll reduce time-induced fraying on the edges.
- sew a button 3/4 up on the outside of each sleeve and a 3" strip with a button hole on the inside in the same location. If you need to roll the sleeves out of the way, the strip will wrap around the sleeve and button it up, freeing your hands.
- do the same on the side, as some jackets have. Sew a cincher-strap on each side and one button at strap-end length to hold it in place, then a second button, six or so inches back top pull the waist back, in the event you need it cinched up a bit.
- sew thin, ripstop scuff guards on the shoulders, elbows and butt.

Those are the changes I'd experiment with, if I was making the 'nak for myself. All told, though, it looks great as it is. And I agree with the others - these babies would sell. I don't know if selling the design to a company or making them yourself would be more lucrative, but I think you should look into making money off your design, labor and ingenuity :thumbup:

Last edited:
Trout......

-All the edges are finished, so no need to be afrayed..... lol... I kill me....

-Good idea on the retension straps. If you noticed on pic#3 the sleeves are 3/4 length so they don't really get in the way.

-those side cinchers are something to think about, though..... good for takin a poop!

Rick

Trout......

-All the edges are finished, so no need to be afrayed..... lol... I kill me....

-Good idea on the retension straps. If you noticed on pic#3 the sleeves are 3/4 length so they don't really get in the way.

-those side cinchers are something to think about, though..... good for takin a poop!

Rick

Haha, then I'm not afrayed any more :D How did you finish the edges - hemming, or... ?

I don't know if you saw the added suggestion, but scuff guards also seem like a reasonable addition. They'd not add much bulk, weight, or labor and they'd be one more protective layer to the garment itself.

For the side-cinchers, were you thinking of rolling the bottom up, or sucking the waist in? My thought was to suck the waist in, but bottoms-up would be useful, too, as you mentioned. One could always experiment with both...

looks like an awesome garment. i guess i might have to make one up over the summer for next winter...

looks very rugged and versatile.

Probably as acting as a barrier between the wind and the wearer's skin. But that's just my guess. Maybe it frightens the wind away?! :p :D

I asked because one wool blanket does not block the wind. Apparently 2 layers does the trick. I prefer modern materials myself, but I like all warm clothing, I would like to make one for myself with a few modifications.

I asked because one wool blanket does not block the wind. Apparently 2 layers does the trick. I prefer modern materials myself, but I like all warm clothing, I would like to make one for myself with a few modifications.
I understand, I'm just playing with your words, Ratenstein :D

Wind blockage is a major winter concern for me, too. Here in central New Mexico, the chief cold comes from wind. My Goretex parka is great at blocking wind, but not so great at fending off sparks from a camp fire. I like a having a suitable combination of modern and natural, tried-and-true materials in my clothing kit :thumbup:

I figured as much, no worries.

Here not blocking the wind will kill you in the winter. I like the idea of a big warm wool overcoat. I wonder if sewing a lining of fleece inside might work. I also would like having a variety of pockets. . . I should try to make something like that.

Of course I will probably just end up looking like a hobo more than usual :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back