Mystery GAW/Challenge

Starting Day 7 of Mike's Challenge. I will finish off the full 7 days of carry.
First, I want to echo everyone else's sentiments on this wonderful GAW. It was fun to read the experiences of fellow knife knuts being forced to carry and use only one knife. I believe I chose my knife well and didn't run into any major problems along the way. My opinion of the knife was pretty well set on the first full day of carry and didn't change along the way. The GEC #71 Bullnose is a great knife, it has high quality fit n finish, solid materials, and the strong pulls and authoritative 'snap' build confidence in the user. The things I like about the knife are; Build quality is top notch, the comfort in-hand is spectacular, and it's actually pretty easy in the pocket despite being a bigger knife. The things I didn't care for about the knife is the blade shape. I agree with Jack that a lower point is needed more often for my cutting tasks than a full belly, piercing tasks are a little difficult with this blade. All that being said, this would be a perfect choice of knife when paired with a smaller knife that has a Wharncliffe or Lambsfoot blade. I'm thinking about the #71 in the front pocket and a little Pemberton Wharncliffe in the coin pocket, that would have been a potent pair. Thanks again to Mike for the imaginative GAW and good luck to my buddy ED. :cool::thumbsup:

All in all my little SAK handled any cutting job I threw at it with aplomb. Even though I carried other knives along with it during the week they were only for show. I made sure to do all my cutting with the two blades on the SAK. It was a lot of fun for me seeing everyone’s posts here throughout the week. There were many beautiful photos. Ready to move on though. :) Thanks Mike!
12CAD976-9FCE-4240-A04A-9EEA1C14CFB1.jpeg

Speaking of rebound knives...

It's funny, because without thinking about it too much I can go days with the same knife. Add a commitment or expectation, and it gets that much harder ;) Texas Jack has found its way back into the knife drawer for a bit, but what to now?

I've been craving a longer blade this week and also really missed a lambsfoot (like a few others here), so it was a no brainer to drop a large lambsfoot in ebony (thanks Jack!) into the pocket this morning. But I also received a package in the mail last week, and have been excited to carry it as well - a 1975 Case 6202 1/2.

Ei83xYI.jpg

Enjoying everyone's thoughts on their week, and looking forward to a few more.

So, in following the rules of the GAW, I carried this little Remington for 5 days, Mon-Fri. It was the only knife I carried the entire time. Now for the write up.

The little Remington R5 is a wicked sharp little blade. On the things I did use it for, it cut so effortlessly I think it could quite possibly one of the sharpest knives I own. It’s blade is very thin, which makes it a good slicer. I don’t usually use pocket knives for food prep, unless I’m camping or slicing an avocado, or hard boiled egg for lunch at work. None of that happened this week but it would’ve worked fine if I needed it to. If you’re a hunter, it would make a great caping blade. The knife disappears in the pocket because of its size, but I think performs bigger than it is. It’s not an intimidating knife, and I think would fit in well in virtually any office environment or other location where there were concerns.(Lockback prohibited locations obviously the exception) The blade is pinchable and smooth, the weight being consistent all the way through lock-up. It doesn’t take a ton of effort to unlock it but you won’t do it by accident either.

In conclusion, I’ve pretty much been a multi-blade person with the stockman getting the nod almost always, unless it’s a Swiss Army knife. I’ll carry a single blade while in the woods, but it’s usually a larger belt knife. If I were using my knife fairly hard for work, I would not choose this one because of its size. But if all you need is a good sharp knife to handle day to day tasks that may pop up, like opening packages, breaking down some boxes, cutting a few zip-ties, slicing up a little sausage and cheese, cutting some string for your garden, sharpen a pencil or whittle down a marshmallow stick, then this is the knife for you. I think the peanut crowd would like this one.

5-E03-CC13-6-A39-4-A3-B-B640-A8808212-D85-E.jpg

I like the Sodbuster pattern, and I've carried this Farm & Field Bullnose a lot when hiking. Carrying it every day this week though, I was quickly reminded of how much I love my Lambsfoot knives, and how useful and versatile they are. I really like the handling characteristics of GEC's #71 pattern (one of the reasons I'd like to see them use it for a Lambsfoot), and I like the practical Shadow-pattern looks of the Farm & Field range. I think this is my only orange-handled knife, and I love the look of it. Great covers, the lanyard hole is a plus for me, and great steel, a very well-made working knife. What I don't like is the height of the point, which gives it plenty of belly, but can make penetration difficult, and even unsafe. Horses for courses, but, for the most part, I need that belly less than I need a good sharp point. While, I've enjoyed carrying and using the Bullnose, I certainly wouldn't swap it for my Lambsfoot, and I'll be glad to get back to using one :thumbsup:

Really enjoying reading all the posts here, and thanks again to Mike for an imaginative giveaway :) :thumbsup:

Some pics from my Bullnose week ;) :thumbsup:

BitXu04.jpg

YTxGK6z.jpg

HlUb1EW.jpg

FcGxfAF.jpg

337iDHK.jpg

zvdbsEj.jpg

WoSPVXd.jpg

A0ALsct.jpg
Great post, Jack. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

17/43 reviews in so far, and they've been good reads. Almost halfway there :)

I'm a little blown away by the participation in this thread. It's been highly enjoyable following along!

No rush as we've still got a day left until the draw, just a friendly reminder to those we're still looking forward to hearing from :)

@SnackPack
@gaj999
Prester John Prester John
@mitch4ging
Whetstone39 Whetstone39
@Edm1
@Pinemoon
r8shell r8shell
@Neko2
@jnaught
@CVamberbonehead
screened porch screened porch
chuck4570 chuck4570
TheChunk91 TheChunk91
@Hibou Canne
@danno50
@Snodgrass
@Duckdog
@jsdistin
@Hickory n steel
5K Qs 5K Qs
@Dschal
@btb01
meako meako
@Cvrobinson
@Bigfattyt

Apologies for not posting a Friday update. Here's a relatively-quick recap of how my Imperial Kamp-King (that the spell checker STILL wants to change to Lamp-King after a week of my rejecting that change :mad:) was used Friday and so far today.

Friday morning, I went back to "cold cereal" and fruit. Cut up a Pink Lady apple and used 2/3 for my lunch, diced up a third of the apple and sliced up 8 green and 4 red seedless grapes to add to the bowl of many cereals. In the morning, and again Friday evening. I used the Kamp-King to cut the "hinge" on plastic berry boxes to separate top cover from base to facilitate recycling storage. My supper was the "planned left-overs" from the concoction I prepared Thursday evening, so no additional cutting needed. I did have a can of Atwater Brewing's Vanilla Java Porter with my meal, and since it came in a can, and the knife has a can opener ...
impKK.canopener.vanjavporter.jpg

Sure, the can has a pull tab, but just of old times' sake, could I maybe use the can opener?? The answer is yes, but it was more of a challenge than I expected!
impKK.pull.tab.vjp.jpg

This morning, I had essentially the same kind of breakfast as Friday, with the same fruit-cutting requirements.

Sometime Sunday, I hope to post a summary of my reactions for the week.

- GT

Speaking of rebound knives...

It's funny, because without thinking about it too much I can go days with the same knife. Add a commitment or expectation, and it gets that much harder ;) Texas Jack has found its way back into the knife drawer for a bit, but what to now?

I've been craving a longer blade this week and also really missed a lambsfoot (like a few others here), so it was a no brainer to drop a large lambsfoot in ebony (thanks Jack!) into the pocket this morning. But I also received a package in the mail last week, and have been excited to carry it as well - a 1975 Case 6202 1/2.

Ei83xYI.jpg

Enjoying everyone's thoughts on their week, and looking forward to a few more.

That's a nice new Case Mike, looks good with your Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

My rebound knife will obviously be my Jack Black SFO African Rosewood Lambsfoot.
It was a generous gift from Jack and is known as "My Knife". Hardly a day goes by that it doesn't end up in my pocket.

Great to see your knife John, as always pal :thumbsup:

Great post, Jack. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Vince, you're very kind my friend :thumbsup:

These reviews are a really fun read :thumbsup:. My opinion of the Opinel #8 after a week:

The thin blade is a joy to use. The geometry makes it a great slicer. The lock is solid and functional. The handle has good ergonomics, and the light weight makes it easy to carry. Because the blade is so thin, and I thinned the edge further to 30 degrees inclusive, it loses the shaving sharp edge quickly when cutting harder materials. But it still cuts well after that, again due how thin it is. While the wood handles feel nice they can bind the blade up if they get wet and swell. For me it needs a lanyard, and the upswept blade needs to be tamed a bit to a clip or spear point.

I think of this as a supplemental knife, probably best carried with something a little stouter. It can function well on its own, but it excels at soft materials.

There is a stainless version that may work better as an all-around or stand alone knife, but I wanted to try the carbon steel version first.

Thanks Mike for this fun GAW, I thoroughly enjoyed it. My before and after pics:

Thanks for doing the fun GAW, Mike. Good luck to everyone (especially Ed. ;))
j0Iw5Xm.jpg

I suppose the Western Wood Craft knife isn't all that different from the sort of knives I often carry...not too different from a small Stockman or Whittler. I used it to open envelopes and packages, and to sharpen and whittle pencils. What I did realize is how much I enjoyed using the small clip blade. I'd love to see it replace the pen blade on a Jack or Stockman knife.
W2LSj9v.jpg

I only found myself wishing for a larger knife a few times - this one is a bit small for halving sandwiches. That's why I like to carry a couple at a time, of different sizes, but the truth is, this little knife is all I actually needed this week.

My rebound knife will be a large Lambsfoot, of course, but the Western is still in my watch pocket, too.

As the challenge wraps up I want to first say thanks to Mike for such a great idea for a GAW and wish everyone good luck tomorrow :thumbsup:.
I had a lot of fun :)

As a review .... what can I say .... I LOVED the knife to begin with so I am sure any impressions will be a bit biased.
I had just never carried it or had a chance to "bond" with it and Mike's idea for a GAW gave me that chance.

I like the way it feels in the hand, blade length is perfect for me. I can pinch it open, even with a gloved hand ( important in Canadian winters :) ) . Very pocket friendly with it's hidden tang.

My EDC needs for a pocket knife are very utilitarian and common and I use mostly pull cuts, therefore I prefer straight blades .

This Grohmann model however has just a little belly and the point is low and very "pointy". If I angle my wrist a bit higher I can accomplish the tasks were I usually use a straight blade and the little belly may help when doing pull and push slicing cuts such as when cutting my meat ( but in all honesty, I rarely eat with my pocket knifes, unless posing for pics :D ).

Ray Mears used this knife in his Northern wilderness series. I've seen some videos where he makes boxes and containers with birch bark using this knife. Pretty cool :thumbsup:

Fit and finish is not GEC perfection but I am fine with that.
I wish they would offer it in carbon steel. I read of people in this forum doing special custom orders with them and getting carbon steel.
I may write to them and see if it can be done, horn handles with carbon steel ...sweet :)

Thanks again for a fun week Mike :)

fp74xbC.jpg

I think it would be fun to do this challenge again the way some of you have, where the ONLY knife you carry is the challenge knife. I definitely found myself using other knives than the one I toted for this challenge, but it would be much harder to have only one knife at a time for all of the cutting tasks and moments of fondling and fidgeting with a knife just because.

Congrats to all that have completed this challenge and thank you Mike for your generosity with your wonderful mysterious GAW.

Day 7 of my carrying the Buck 532 has brought me mixed feelings about this knife. But that is what this challenge was all about, going out of your comfort zone and trying something different. It’s a very capable knife for every task that I put it through and I’m sure many more that I did not. The fit and finish as well as the file work make this a fantastic knife but one that I won’t pocket very often. The Buck is a larger knife than I like in my pocket and I don’t have many opportunities to wear it on my belt. I will rebound to my rotations of 1 or 2 smaller watch pocket knives and a medium sized one, I just like to carry more than one at a time, why? Because I can!
upload_2020-3-14_15-19-38.jpeg
Good Luck to all.

This was a fun GAW challenge Mike. Thanks for having it.

Instead of staying in my usual territory with a stockman of cattle knife I carried a regular old jack all week. A 1965-69 case 6232. A couple of days I had other knives with it along for the ride but I made a point to use this knife, and it got quite a bit of use in.

It snaps hard so I really like that feature in a using knife. Two blades are less than I prefer but there was no issue there and it handled everything just fine. The main blade got the most use and the pen was used for more detailed tasks. The main could use a sharpening at this point but the pen is still quite sharp. It's a good size and not too small. The handle is pretty comfortable in use as there's not much sticking up in your hand and it's well shaped. The bone is very nicely colored and I enjoyed looking at and fiddling with it. It's a good cutter and gave good performance all week while satisfying the itch I have for vintage knives. I've had this knife for years but this week was the most I've ever used it. I have always really liked this knife and that did not change in this week of carry.

IMG_7385_Original.JPG

I was waiting for Sunday to update, but this is past Friday, so...
I guess I'm not huge on sunken joints, since I hadn't realized my Camillus 69 has them. It has worked fine, opening mail and stuff. One thing about the narrowness, choking up on it to cut off a frayed fingernail corner, it easily rolled and cut the cutting fingers.
WE08F7u.jpg

I was waiting for Sunday to update, but this is past Friday, so...
I guess I'm not huge on sunken joints, since I hadn't realized my Camillus 69 has them. It has worked fine, opening mail and stuff. One thing about the narrowness, choking up on it to cut off a frayed fingernail corner, it easily rolled and cut the cutting fingers.
WE08F7u.jpg
Ouch. Hope you weren't cut too badly.

OK well its Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that doesnt hurt...(actually thats not true its just that I have a window job to do on my house and it involves a wobbly ladder scaffold thing ..so yeah its work and thats a guaranteed pain)...the cleanest dirty shirt bit is probably more accurate....
There is a Catholic Church about 30 paces from here at the too of Dalmeny Hill...but its out of commission.so no bell ringin.Privately owned building....beautiful old wooden church ...hoping they turn it into a coffee shop...:)..more about that later.
Anyway the last task for the week was
20200315-090331.jpg

Slicing up Tamarillo for Lorikeets and bacon rinds for Magpies..
20200315-091350.jpg

20200315-083732.jpg

I even got a fleeting visit from The Satin Bowerbirds...notoriously difficult to photograph..they must have a bower and nest close by...
As far as the #12s performance...admirable. It also got a couple interested peeks Thursday from a couple of the Shedsmen while we were out at Belowra...It could probably do with a touch up on the stone now.
The thing I like most about the #12 Toothpicks apart from being a practical well made knife...is their olde worlde style and aesthetic...one of the old guys said geez thats in good nick fer an old knife..i like those old knives...when I told him it was only made in 2019...not bad! NOT Bad....thats a compliment coming from this particular ol geezer.
Cheers.

Back