Mystery GAW/Challenge

Helping me out in the dungeon...stripping the bark from some green Olive logs...the tree was around 50 yo...going to wax the ends and put it away safe to season for turning/carving...lot o work but I think will be worth the effort....nothing to lose and everything to gain
20200314-110849.jpg

My knife went last minute shopping with me for a few odds and ends. Did not cur anything today.... I did, however score the last can of spam at Walmart. Lots of people stocking up on everything. I just grabbed some odds and ends.

kFqeXYh.jpg

I also grabbed a bottle of Flinstones vitamins for my 10 year old....apparently he will only eat this specific kind....ir had to be regular flavored Flinstones in the chewable tablets....

mpmnvTX.jpg

Last edited:
Day one started out easy by making short work of the bird seed bag
EMJQsqI.jpg
Then day 2 and 3 It helped me me break down a stack of boxes and prep some dinner.
2z2iWGK.jpg
And on day 4 and 5 it earned its keep by opening and breaking down a pallet of 8 foot LED lights.
Y0iYYnL.jpg
Today it's still sharp as hell and has developed a little character with its blade scuffs and some nice pocket swirls. I have to thank the Op for a fun GAW and helping this little knife find a new permanent home in my pocket.
RUZNPbi.jpg
And to end on a good note I broke out my Stockman to open up a light fixture box while I talking to the owner of the company I work for and she commented on what a good looking knife it was. She never said that when I was snapping my Kershaw Blur open, She hates All guns or anything stabby looking :confused:.

Not much cutting tasks today. But I did snap a picture of my seahorse with a weird face in this plywood grain.o_O.

My thoughts on the seahorse are pretty much the same as they were on Sunday. The handle is not that comfortable, and the main blade is pretty thick for my taste. I do think the seahorse is a very attractive pattern. It was a fun challenge and I’m happy I participated. Thank you for a great time Mike. Now to put this thing back in its drawer. :)
05848236-846A-4A03-A394-C0ECA6ADA2EE.jpeg

I'm feeling like I'm not contributing here. I can even keep up with the thread. And it won't get better before Sunday. Since I'd feel bad taking a prize, I want anything I win to go to Ed. I'm going back to my entry post now to make that edit. Great GAW, and great job guys.

I made it thru 5-1/2 days with only the Rough Rider copperhead. I cut sheet plastic, opened a couple tubes of caulk, broke down a couple cardboard boxes, sliced an apple a day plus some sausage for jambalaya and also a pizza much to the wife's amusement. It performed just fine on all of those simple task. Today I split some wild turkey primary feathers for arrow fletching. I would say it did just ok using the thinner and narrower clip blade of the two for this task but not nearly as neatly and straight as a sheepsfoot blades does. All in all for such an inexpensive knife it makes a pretty good pocket companion.
I like that it has no half stops and the opening and closing action is very smooth. Pull on both blades are perfect for what I like, not too heavy or too light and have excellent snap both on opening and closing.
It rides in the pocket well and I like the feel in hand as well as the size, neither small nor large.
Blades arrived very scary sharp right outta the box. Aesthetically, I like the bone, bolster, shield and overall look of the knife.
I'm not crazy about the looks of the match strike nail nicks though.
There is a bit of a gap between one spring and liner and the springs don't ride perfectly flush while closed or open, not a big deal to me in a cheap knife as long as everything else functions well.
Thanks for putting on this fun GAW challenge Mike, I enjoy being a participant and it made for an interesting week.:)
View attachment 1302143

Sorry for my lack of updates. Work is all a twitter about corona, and since I workat a medical industry company, it's all the worse.

My knife has been riding with me the whole time though and even been fiddled with once or twice on a lunch.

Maybe I can bust it out moving some furniture tomorrow.

I didn't take any new pictures, but I carried my Aitor Castor this week alongside my usual carry, a stag covered Northfield #73.

A couple of observations. I really like the leaf shaped blade. It's not as fetching as a well-done clip point or wharncliffe, but for using I don't think there is anything better. It has the easy, controllable point like the wharncliffe/lambsfoot, but has just enough belly to improve its cutting ability.

Second, as one who prefers a single blade slipjoint more than any other, carrying a second knife is serious overkill. I don't know how you guys do it, but I'm going back to carrying one knife.

I'm feeling like I'm not contributing here. I can even keep up with the thread. And it won't get better before Sunday. Since I'd feel bad taking a prize, I want anything I win to go to Ed. I'm going back to my entry post now to make that edit. Great GAW, and great job guys.

It's all good. I wouldn't worry about your participation level throughout the week. As long as you post a review of your week, you're golden. I've noted your request to add your entry to the Ed team :)

That's an extra special instrument there:thumbsup:

Thanks, I inherited it from an old friend and feel compelled to learn. The guitar is special, at least to me (and I think LG stood for Learner Guitar), but the student is far from that level. My buddy left a Martin and a Taylor guitar, both of which I told the family to "get out of the house". However, they left the Gibson, an old Epiphone banjo (which makes sense with the Gibson), and a truckload of bluegrass/country LPs, CDs, etc. And I had a truck, so . .

Excellent beverage choice there, Stuart! :cool: :thumbsup: I’d gladly take that bonded Old Grand-dad over some of the pricier, harder to find bourbons I’ve tried. :D

Thanks, it is very nice. I'm going back to my old wine buying credo - anyone can but a fine tasting expensive wine (bourbon), but it takes a true student to buy a very good cheap one. I have a few more to try.
- Stuart

The end of my week leaves me admiring, once again, the beauty and art of the traditional.
I did not run into any tasks that would have been better served with a modern knife, yet I know those tasks are out there.
I did find myself coon-fingering the knife more than I would a modern clip-flipper.
The 2019 BF knife is a great companion. Maybe I should do a personal week's challenge with all of them!
Thanks Crazy Canuck Crazy Canuck for a great week - and to all of those who participated with stories and pictures; you made my week, my friends!

best

mqqn

Dennis, you have tiny hands. :D
But a big (with a hole in it) heart!:p:thumbsup:
I slice the ginger to eat raw before meals. It's helping my acid reflux immensely.
The garlic is sliced into everything, mostly soup lately. The honey gets spooned into my oatmeal every morning, then on vanilla ice cream each night. The whiskey is a compliment to myself in appropriate doses :thumbsup:. Sometimes it goes into my beer :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I included it in the pic as a nod to Mike as it's distilled in Canada :). But it's also part of my immune-strategy ;) Whiskey has potent antioxidants. Really. Look it up.
Great plan, Don! I tried eating a little ginger...nope! But I do periodically enjoy gingersnaps with my morning coffee!:D

I did find however if I don't drink water ~:20 minutes before eating and 15 minutes after it really has reduced my acid reflux, without having to take the pump inhibitor pills.
I don’t know all the pattern numbers by heart, but sure do like your Northfield.

Ahhh...Fresh Fruitopia
ffdc66b8-7527-45ad-bcb9-8c607218f6d4-jpeg.1301192
I'll have to look back on it tomorrow, and thanks, Harvey!
Such a gorgeous knife you've selected!:eek::thumbsup:
We've been eating some blueberries and blackberries in our morning yogurt lately!:cool::thumbsup:
I, also, needed to open a box of new Gibson strings for an older Gibson LG-1 (that left Kalamazoo in 1958) that I am using to teach myself how to play a guitar. The sheepfoot sings at box opening.

wi0M88H.jpg
What a fantasic gift!:):thumbsup: Home it brings you much stress relief and pleasure! After I retired, I purchesed a Martin, and it just relaxes me...probably not the Mrs so much!:D:thumbsup: Perfect knife pairing as well!:thumbsup:

It's about time I started carrying this one!
RPXHjqf.jpg

Nice "Dark Destroyer" there Jack. Nice meal, too :thumbsup:
The slingshot phenomenon seems to be taking off these days. Is that what the Brits call them, or do you have another moniker?

Well, happy Friday the 13th all!

Here at the hospital, things are pretty much at Defcon 4 o_O The :poop: is hitting the fan :eek:
We had our first case of Covid-19 in the state of Maine yesterday and things are ramped up to say the least. We're a very rural state and only have one hospital capable of treating serious cases. So I'm posting a personal protection themed photo today.
Stay safe, all :thumbsup:

20200313_091048 by Pine Moon, on Flickr

Thanks a lot buddy :) Yeah, getting pretty popular :) Traditionally they were/are called catapults here, but 'slingshot' has been in use for a fair while here too. Both words are still in use, but I think slingshot probably has the edge :thumbsup:

P5miOd8.jpg

Stay safe :thumbsup:

Turns out that the GEC #71 is a FANTASTIC peanut butter spreader. :cool::thumbsup:

Yep, every knife has to excel at something :D ;) :thumbsup:

I'm just heading out for a walk in the woods, got the Bullnose in my pocket again, and will give a report later :thumbsup:

This has been a great thread Mike, well done :) :thumbsup:

I had a pretty crummy week at work (days with 4, 6, and 6 hours commuting time) so fell behind in this thread right out of the gate. I really enjoyed this exercise however. I carried a GEC 77 Barlow spearpoint that I had tried to sell on the exchange just a few days prior to Mike posting about the GAW. I decided to give this knife a try for the week since I hadn't really ever carried it. While the knife didn't see much beyond the food service, package opening, etc tasks that most are posting about it did spend a lot of time in my right hand as a fidget spinner, worry stone, getting coon fingered, etc. I really came to appreciate the aesthetics of the knife and I will definitely keep it and add it into my carry rotation. I kind of like the idea of carrying a knife for the entire week and will try it with another knife I don't often reach for - a 38 Special in Red Linen Micarta. This happens to be the first GEC knife I purchased. So I have a sentimental attachment to it already but don't seem to carry it often. Thanks again for the great GAW idea and the opportunity. It seems many have enjoyed it as much as I did.

tcPLtFc.jpg

Last edited:
I like the Sodbuster pattern, and I've carried this Farm & Field Bullnose a lot when hiking. Carrying it every day this week though, I was quickly reminded of how much I love my Lambsfoot knives, and how useful and versatile they are. I really like the handling characteristics of GEC's #71 pattern (one of the reasons I'd like to see them use it for a Lambsfoot), and I like the practical Shadow-pattern looks of the Farm & Field range. I think this is my only orange-handled knife, and I love the look of it. Great covers, the lanyard hole is a plus for me, and great steel, a very well-made working knife. What I don't like is the height of the point, which gives it plenty of belly, but can make penetration difficult, and even unsafe. Horses for courses, but, for the most part, I need that belly less than I need a good sharp point. While, I've enjoyed carrying and using the Bullnose, I certainly wouldn't swap it for my Lambsfoot, and I'll be glad to get back to using one :thumbsup:

Really enjoying reading all the posts here, and thanks again to Mike for an imaginative giveaway :) :thumbsup:

Some pics from my Bullnose week ;) :thumbsup:

BitXu04.jpg

YTxGK6z.jpg

HlUb1EW.jpg

FcGxfAF.jpg

337iDHK.jpg

zvdbsEj.jpg

WoSPVXd.jpg

A0ALsct.jpg

When I started this challenge I though that finding a name for my chosen knife would be a fun way to start the journey :)
As I had bought the knife in person at the Grohmann factory in Nova Scotia I named it "Bluenose" , a common nickname for Nova Scotians as I came to find out.
Further reading educated me more as to the history behind the fishing and racing schooner from Nova Scotia named "Bluenose" which is depicted in the Canadian 10 cent coin.
This schooner was undefeated in races for almost 20 years.

OYiWPre.jpg

sntBLJH.jpg
I'm from New Brunswick, we're border Nova Scotia. I've heard stories of ther Bluenose since I was a child, it's a legend and a thing of pride and beauty in these parts!

First, a little of my carry history. For many years I carried a Buck 110/112 on my belt, even when I was teaching in the mid to late seventies. I switched to a Buck 501, on the belt, then in my pocket when things started to change. For the last few years of my teaching career it was the diminutive Buck 503 in my pocket. After I retired and could carry any legal knife it was a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian clipped in my pocket. Several years ago, laws relaxed and I could carry an auto. My good friend gifted me a Buck 289 Impact and that has been my EDC and for sentimental reasons will continue to be. Because I like knives I will carry two most times when I'm out and about. I have found I really like the canoe pattern and it carries well.

Synopsis of my week carrying and using the SAK...what I have learned and re-enforced is...

1...it was nice to be re-united with the SAK, as I said I hadn't carried it or used it in many years.

2...that I don't care to carry a knife that is thick and has to reside in the bottom of my pocket, the SAK, along with many of the others that I own fall into this category. I might try the safety pin or sewing a vertical seam in the lining.

3...having multiply tools right at my finger tips is a handy feature and most useful when carried out of the house.

4...while I didn't have to use it in a 'public' place, it is modest and discrete. I wouldn't have to worry about shocking someone with a weapon-like instrument.

5...I really, really like having and owning many different knives/blades around to chose from. Limited to one just for a week was agonizing!

Mike, Crazy Canuck Crazy Canuck thank you for the Mystery/GAW Challenge. Thanks, and good luck, to all who participated. It has been great to see and hear about your knives and to see photos of your knives and experiences.

Last night I used the awl/punch on the SAK to help make a change on a call laynard...
DSC_0421.JPG

I’ve really enjoyed carrying my L-08 this week. Despite being a bigger knife, it carries easily and it is truly a gentleman’s Golding culinary knife, meant for making your meals away from home (or at home!) more pleasurable than using dull restaurant or plastic cutlery you might find ready to hand somewhere. I love the look of the knife, but it is also supremely comfortable and the blade shape has just enough belly while still providing a good point due to the dropping sweep on the spine. A great knife!

034E283A-D5F7-4F19-8E9D-C64B4B1F7FC2.jpeg

Spent a minute thinking this morning about what my rebound carry will be after what feels like a week long spiritual fast of knife monogamy.

I’ve gotta go back to the 86 which has become my favorite by a landslide.

But then, inspired by this week, I’m gonna give a shot to another under utilized member of the stash. Late ‘70’s Camillus Electrician. Ubiquitous, yes. Handy, yes.

I’m interested to see how many times in a week I’ll use the screwdriver in scraping/light prying situations. No promises that I’ll make it a week, but I’m curious to string together a few days.

I’d be interested in seeing what everyone else’s “rebound carry” was this morning.

Back