Mystery GAW/Challenge

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Crazy Canuck, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Dschal

Dschal

Mar 18, 2016
    This was a great idea Mike! Thank you very much for managing a very interesting thread. I’ve really enjoyed reading everyone’s experiences with their challenge knife choices.

Truth be told, I’m not too demanding of the knives I carry. I mostly open mail and packages, trim this or that, and only use for food for the pleasure of using the knife. This week I’ve been in the darkroom, experimenting with some new materials and processes, in preparation for better weather and enforced free time without televised sports.

The 81 Bull Moose was very nice to carry and use, and could easily be my everyday knife. Although it’s a larger frame than most of those I carry, it is not so much so that it ever felt too big. There were a couple of times I would have enjoyed a straight edge or a smaller pen blade, but I did just fine with either the clip or the spear. I highly recommend this knife.
    Thanks again!
    Today’s walk:[​IMG]

2. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I decided I needed to use my hard won last can of Spam.. (I was at Walmart Friday night and laughed when I saw all the spam but one can gone. Decided that can needed fo come home with me).

[​IMG]

Now....what to do with the spam?

I decided to make Spam Musubi. Made a marinade for the spam. Marinated the spam, while the rice cooker did its thing.

[​IMG]

Fried the Spam in a cast iron pan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cooled the rice and mixed in a bit of sweet rice seasoning.
    [​IMG]

I promise....it is not fry sauce in the ramekin, just spicy Sriracha mayo...

[​IMG]

Now.....in this time of pandemic, hardship, and trials.... I had no toasted Nori to wrap the Musubi in..... (really, I was too lazy to make a separate trip to my local Asian goods shop).

But I have to say, for my first ever try....it turned out tasty!!

I have a confession... I had to actually sharpen this barlow for the week challenge. It had no edge to speak of. Now that it has an edge, I'll carry it more in the future!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    This is the knife I toted for the challenge:
    [​IMG]
    Case peanut with cocobolo scales. Great little knife, and an unexpected gift from a Porch member, for which I am very grateful. It's about the size of the knife my father carried, and the size I carried for about the last three decades. Here are the knives--or kinds of knives--I carried (peanut on top for size comparison):
    [​IMG]
    The "Little McCoy" stockman and the Victorinox Classic I carried, but the Case lockback is a replacement for an almost identical Gerber lockback I lost. So carrying a small knife was not a new experience.

During the last couple of years, I have carried larger knives, and wonder why it took me so long to do so. These are the kind of knives I carry now (peanut in pic for comparison):
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I'm partial to clip blades! The three knives on top, above the peanut, are the knives I have carried the most often for the last few months, and except for this week, have remained on my nightstand or in my pocket. But the knives shown below the peanut have also seen their fair share of pocket time. (Well, the 110 is usually in a belt sheath.) Going back to a peanut-sized knife was difficult, but I thought it was an interesting experiment, and I wanted to play along.

It was the only pocket knife I carried during the last week, but I did use my kitchen knives at home. (As a matter of fact, I rarely use pocket knives in the kitchen--I have plenty of kitchen knives, and my chef knife is superior to any pocket knife for most kitchen tasks. The kitchen knives are easier to wash, too, and I don't have to oil the joints.) The peanut did an adequate job at most tasks, but I sure missed my Laguiole when it was time to slice an orange at lunch time at work. I had to score the peel rather than just slicing the orange into wedges, which takes just a few seconds with the Laguiole. It's also better at slicing bread, cheese, and sausage. And if, God forbid, I ever had to use a pocket knife for defense, well, I'd rather have the Laguiole than the peanut! (Although the Spanish navaja would be better, as it locks, and looks more wicked!)

I have large, fat fingers, which fumbled some with the tiny knife. A larger knife is so much easier to manipulate. And a Laguiole, for example, is almost like a miniature chef's knife. Yes, a large knife (between 4 & 5 inches closed) is more noticeable in the pocket, but that is a small price to pay for a knife that fits my hand, and is capable of so much more than a tiny knife. So, while I will carry the peanut again, it will probably be in conjunction with a larger knife, and not my sole tote.

It was a great idea for a GAW, Mike. Good luck to everyone in the drawing tomorrow!

4. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Mike's experiment has been a fine experience. I've really enjoyed the easy carry and versatility of this Queen#31 congress, especially the clip secondary (it opened a box containing the engine air filter I swapped into my daughter's car today and trimmed some of the foam seal). As it happens, I have several of this model Queen and may start to use a few of the others. However, this one is going into my EDC pile.

[​IMG]

As for a rebound knife, I'll first reward myself with totin' this Ed Fuller lockback:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then gravitate back to regular order with the #31's pal, a Case 6207 dogleg from 1940-1964:

[​IMG]

Thanks for the whirl, Mike.
    - Stuart
    Edited after I realized that the first picture is my challenge knife captured a few years ago, before I slightly rounded the main blade tip through lazy sharpening. Here's one take just minutes ago as I toasted the end of the challenge.

[​IMG]

- S.

5. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I carried the 6292 all week. AT 4", it is a little larger than I usually carry, however, I was pleasantly surprised by how well it rode in my RFP. I used it for kitchen duties all week and opening mail. I also took it out to fondle whenever reading or sitting in front of the computer. Overall, I was quite pleased with it, and may continue to carry it for another week or so, before going back to my regular 6235 1/2.

RIMG1214.JPG

6. Hibou Canne

Hibou Canne Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Thanks for the GAW challenge Mike. Im glad i did it. The 35 calf pen is very nice knife, definitively a true workhorse. I love jack knives with 2 full size blades. Both blades are very useful, one for piercing and one for slicing. ATB
    [​IMG]

7. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Well Im happy for those who had good experiences. I did not. Lol I carried my Opinel #8, and it cut just beautifully, that thin blade and acute point are great. Good carbon steel too. However, it is awful to carry in my pocket! :( The comfy wood handle is just too fat for pocket carry. I think I have a new kitchen knife though! :D

8. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Maybe you need bigger pockets! My Opinel No. 8 is one of my favorites, and I have no trouble carrying it. Very lightweight, too. Many people nowadays carry their cell phones in their pockets, and most cell phones are bigger and heavier.
    But I understand--tastes vary. :)

btb01, chuck4570, Cutfinger and 2 others like this.
  9. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    +1 :):thumbsup:

First, thanks to Mike for this interesting experience. Second, seen a lot of great looking knives now I would like to try for a week in the future, and great reviews, so please, everyone send me your knife and I'll carry it for a while!:cool::D

I've been carrying the Northfield #81, and it's been a treat to carry. I guess since it was an anniversary present, and larger than I care to carry these days with the nerve damage, I just never considered it.

It carries quite well, and a wonderful pull, easy on my arthritic fingers. You have a choice of the clip point or the spear point, and ebony to boot! It cut everything I needed to cut, not that I ask much from a knife these days!

I do see myself carrying it more frequently now, but as a couple of others have stated, (@Jack Black and company) I do love carrying the Lambsfoot now.

Best wishes to all. Have a great Sunday!
    [​IMG]

10. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    The nice thing about opinels is the ease with which they can be modded. I gave my number 8 away for the same reasons you cited, just a bit bulky for my pocket. I switched to a 6 and whittled the handle down and it carries quite well, had I done the same with my 8 I'm not sure I'd have let it go. It's always nice to see others opinions on any knife though... Perhaps you'll give some modding consideration, and find yourself with a great one of a kind carry! ;)

Pinemoon, JohnDF, CelloDan and 4 others like this.
  11. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    I couldn’t wait, I cut something with a non-challenge knife :(
    DB0437D9-C65F-4C2C-9A63-E9E8797F5804.jpeg

12. jnaught

jnaught

Mar 13, 2017
    Carried it again today, though I don't remember using it. Here it is on our walk:
    [​IMG]
    Though I didn't carry it exclusively, it was the only pocket knife I used all week. This was the first time I carried a knife with two full-sized blades, and I liked it, especially the day after I had used it as a steak knife against a ceramic plate and hadn't a chance to sharpen it.
    The biggest revelation wasn't anything about the knife, but rather the safety-pin trick discussed early in this thread. With that innovation this knife carried like it wasn't even there and was more accessible to boot. Thanks for sharing that one, @JohnDF and @5K Qs . It was a huge improvement.
    In my work I rarely have any heavy cutting chores, and I never felt under-prepared. It performed admirably in every way and will likely make its way into my pocket somewhat frequently going forward. That said, I think the clip blade is a little narrow for my taste (aesthetically, it is fine practically speaking), and the long spey is also not my first choice, aesthetically. Purely taste, and in no way critical of their performance. I didn't miss my other knives in any practical way, but definitely did in a I-haven't-hung-out-with-my-friends-in-while sort of way.
    My rebound knife will probably be my good ole' sodbuster jr. Just one of my favorite knives:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for hosting this, Mike! I've really enjoyed playing along with everyone this week.

-John

P.S. I don't know Ed or what he is going through, but I was really impressed with the show of community and care here. Some cool people in this strange little world. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

13. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    So many awesome knives represented this past week... Awesome idea Mike, and thanks again! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Pinemoon, meako, chuck4570 and 3 others like this.
  14. SnackPack

SnackPack Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2019
    Well my experience started well and ended... not so well. I carried my Opinel No. 7 which is an excellent size and blade steel for carry. It’s a great size, and shape for most tasks but the blade stock is a bit thin to be a ‘do-everything’ knife.

It’s an exquisite slicer, really excels with fruit and veggies and food prep in general. I love the knife and the handle shape, but it doesn’t sit well in the pocket - I prefer a much slimmer knife even though the Opinel is super comfortable in hand.

However, I got to experience the agony along with the ecstasy when I - as can happen with a knife you carry all the time - had it escape my pocket somehow. Don’t know where or when, but sometime around Wednesday it grew legs.

I finished the week with my Waynorth Lambsfoot and although I wish I could have finished with the Opinel, it made me realize how much more I like the WCLF for nearly every task.

15. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    What a handsome knife, r8shell!

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I think relaxation will come when I can string three chords together.
    - Stuart

chuck4570, r8shell and mitch4ging like this.
  16. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Another casualty! I didn't realize this thread would be so hazardous! ;)

Hope it wasn't too serious.

17. Snodgrass

Snodgrass

Feb 7, 2016
    Great idea Mike. I've enjoying following this thread all week and it giving me an excuse to carry my Michigan Jack. As expected, I absolutely love just about everything about it. The 15 frame with an EO notch fits perfectly in my hand with my pinky landing in the EO notch, which is nice for grip and general feel in the hand. Ther notch also makes it easily pinchable for opening.
    The main drawback of the knife is the price and availability. It took me years to find one and I would be quite upset I'd I were to lose it. But I have a slip and always check my pockets before leaving any place I visit.
    I'm glad that I participated in this 'challenge', my other three main daily user may not be so happy, as MJ may have worked itself into the rotation :)
    Cheers all, this was fun,
    Chris
    20200315_001300.jpg

18. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    No not too bad, thanks. It’s a great thread

19. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    That's why modding them is so prevalent and fun.

[​IMG]

20. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks, Stuart. It sports some of the nicest Delrin I have. A good material for practical reasons, I'm usually not too impressed by the look and feel. This one is an exception, and I found myself rubbing it like a worry stone and admiring the rich color this week.

I've been tempted to file the sides of an Opinel to give it a flatter shape. The collar would still be round, but it might still sit in the pocket a little nicer.