Native 5 - the perfect pocket knife?

The 1st thing I had to do with mine was remove some belly from the handle.

I found an inexpensive used N5 lightweight in S35VN on the Exchange. I wanted to audition the design before spending the extra $$ on the S110V version, which is the one I really wanted. That was over a year ago. The "beater" I got on the Exchange is so sweet in the hand and so easy to carry I have not felt the need to buy the S110V version. I really appreciate the light weight and the redesigned back lock. It has become my go to travel and work knife--anytime I might have to abuse a knife (slightly) or risk losing it. This means it gets a lot of use and it has held up beautifully. I can't place it above the Delica, though. I guess those two models are about tied in my estimation as the most all around useful and easily carried folders. But... If the fluted carbon fiber/S90V N5 lightweight ever materializes that will probably become my overall favorite Spyderco.

For usability and size I also like the choil in the blade.
Legally however it increases the blade size even if the usable part of the blade isn't any bigger than on a smaller blade.

Got the Native5 in s110v from some time ago. I like it a lot.

I found an inexpensive used N5 lightweight in S35VN on the Exchange....

My first one was a user LW that I bought off the Exchange for a good price. I have several others but that S35VN LW gets more pocket time than all the others put together. Not just because it's a user but also because it's a nice example. The knife is as smooth as my G10 models and S35VN works well for me.

The Native5 is an outstanding smaller EDC IMO. Excellent knife (esp the G10 variants).

One of the very best folders. Slim and trim EDC. My earliest is Native II from 2000 weighing 4.49 ounces in all stainless steel! My latest is Native5 40th Anniversary weighing just 2.77 ounces. I need to get a Native5 S110V Blue G-10 next.

Here are my Natives:

• Native II AUS-10 SS
  • Native CTS-XHP Brown FRN (KnifeCenter)
  • Native5 CPM-S35VN Fluted Titanium
  • Native5 CPM-S110V Carbon Fiber (Sprint)
  • Native5 CPM-S90V Maroon FRN (2015 Forum)
  • Native5 DS93X Thor Damascus Fluted Carbon Fiber (40th Anniversary)

76CB79EC-3B25-4640-92CB-1EB8E69ADB78_zpsegsuc1ea.jpg

7B726BE6-6BF8-465E-A015-E086CC0733A9_zpspgkunpux.jpg

So, I enjoy the sage more. I know there have been comparison threads, why do you guys prefer the native?
I still have the famous walmart native. I have had the s110v forum, the s90v forum, and the early flat grind s30v, but they were either given away or sold. Just like the sage more, little more edge, and it has that Taiwan feel.

Rus

So, I enjoy the sage more. I know there have been comparison threads, why do you guys prefer the native?
Rus

The Sage is a fine knife. But in an EDC, I look for the smallest knife that will provide a full grip & just big enough blade to be functional, while being lightweight.

The native, compared to the Sage, will check all those boxes, while being just a bit smaller, a bit lighter, and as a bonus, less expensive.

I don't mean to bad-mouth the Sage. Spyderco makes many excellent knives, but the Native hit my target criteria.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I found this old Native at a Flea Market earlier this year and it's quickly become one of my favorites It's just a great size and weight and the blade is quite impressive. I need to pick up a new Native 5 at some point but this one is still going strong. The blade edge was pretty rough but it came back quickly with a little time on a stone.

P6r9HEG.jpg

It seems that not many people have the Native 4 carbon fiber with VG-10 made in Japan. I'll have to get a photo up when I get the chance.

My 5 came in today. First impressions are good; very good ;)

I see myself carrying this little guy a lot. Seems like it can handle primary and back-up duty just fine.

I've had at least 45+ Spydercos including several sprints, 8-9 PM2s, etc.. and my absolute favorite has been the G10 Native 5. It just became so because I actually carriy and use it a lot. The "newness" factor never wore off as it is that good. It shares equal time with my Insingo and XM18. I have traded or sold every other Spyderco yet the Native remains. Love the ergos, lack of hump, simple lock & proven design.

xdsn5.jpg

Here's mine.
With the predecessor to the Native.
G1 made in Seki
5b81edd6c0565690c424975d8850f3d4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back