1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Native 5 - the perfect pocket knife?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by MAD777, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Second Perfect.
    Delica holds the No.1 spot.
    rolf

2. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    The 1st thing I had to do with mine was remove some belly from the handle.

3. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    I found an inexpensive used N5 lightweight in S35VN on the Exchange. I wanted to audition the design before spending the extra $$ on the S110V version, which is the one I really wanted. That was over a year ago. The "beater" I got on the Exchange is so sweet in the hand and so easy to carry I have not felt the need to buy the S110V version. I really appreciate the light weight and the redesigned back lock. It has become my go to travel and work knife--anytime I might have to abuse a knife (slightly) or risk losing it. This means it gets a lot of use and it has held up beautifully. I can't place it above the Delica, though. I guess those two models are about tied in my estimation as the most all around useful and easily carried folders. But... If the fluted carbon fiber/S90V N5 lightweight ever materializes that will probably become my overall favorite Spyderco.

4. Jens Schuetz

Jens Schuetz

Jun 24, 2013
    For usability and size I also like the choil in the blade.
    Legally however it increases the blade size even if the usable part of the blade isn't any bigger than on a smaller blade.

Got the Native5 in s110v from some time ago. I like it a lot.

5. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    My first one was a user LW that I bought off the Exchange for a good price. I have several others but that S35VN LW gets more pocket time than all the others put together. Not just because it's a user but also because it's a nice example. The knife is as smooth as my G10 models and S35VN works well for me.

6. arty

arty

Oct 18, 2003
    Sharp Guy
    Thanks for checking the length.

7. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2009
    The Native5 is an outstanding smaller EDC IMO. Excellent knife (esp the G10 variants).

8. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    One of the very best folders. Slim and trim EDC. My earliest is Native II from 2000 weighing 4.49 ounces in all stainless steel! My latest is Native5 40th Anniversary weighing just 2.77 ounces. I need to get a Native5 S110V Blue G-10 next.

Here are my Natives:

• Native II AUS-10 SS
    • Native CTS-XHP Brown FRN (KnifeCenter)
    • Native5 CPM-S35VN Fluted Titanium
    • Native5 CPM-S110V Carbon Fiber (Sprint)
    • Native5 CPM-S90V Maroon FRN (2015 Forum)
    • Native5 DS93X Thor Damascus Fluted Carbon Fiber (40th Anniversary)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    Got a used Native 5 in the mail. Can't wait to try it out.

10. MAD777

MAD777

Aug 3, 2011
    Nice collection, RamZar!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

11. mycough

mycough

May 20, 2007
    So, I enjoy the sage more. I know there have been comparison threads, why do you guys prefer the native?
    I still have the famous walmart native. I have had the s110v forum, the s90v forum, and the early flat grind s30v, but they were either given away or sold. Just like the sage more, little more edge, and it has that Taiwan feel.

Rus

12. MAD777

MAD777

Aug 3, 2011
    The Sage is a fine knife. But in an EDC, I look for the smallest knife that will provide a full grip & just big enough blade to be functional, while being lightweight.

The native, compared to the Sage, will check all those boxes, while being just a bit smaller, a bit lighter, and as a bonus, less expensive.

I don't mean to bad-mouth the Sage. Spyderco makes many excellent knives, but the Native hit my target criteria.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. aleforme

aleforme Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I found this old Native at a Flea Market earlier this year and it's quickly become one of my favorites It's just a great size and weight and the blade is quite impressive. I need to pick up a new Native 5 at some point but this one is still going strong. The blade edge was pretty rough but it came back quickly with a little time on a stone.

[​IMG]

14. ryanh121

ryanh121

Nov 3, 2009
    It seems that not many people have the Native 4 carbon fiber with VG-10 made in Japan. I'll have to get a photo up when I get the chance.

15. Jens Schuetz

Jens Schuetz

Jun 24, 2013
    Can't wait.

16. ryanh121

ryanh121

Nov 3, 2009
    Native 4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    My 5 came in today. First impressions are good; very good ;)

I see myself carrying this little guy a lot. Seems like it can handle primary and back-up duty just fine.

[​IMG]

18. Jens Schuetz

Jens Schuetz

Jun 24, 2013
    I keep scrolling up and down on my phone to take it all in. :)
    It sure does look pretty.
    Thank you ryanh.

19. RetiredGuns

RetiredGuns

Mar 13, 2009
    I've had at least 45+ Spydercos including several sprints, 8-9 PM2s, etc.. and my absolute favorite has been the G10 Native 5. It just became so because I actually carriy and use it a lot. The "newness" factor never wore off as it is that good. It shares equal time with my Insingo and XM18. I have traded or sold every other Spyderco yet the Native remains. Love the ergos, lack of hump, simple lock & proven design.

[​IMG]

20. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Here's mine.
    With the predecessor to the Native.
    G1 made in Seki
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk