Native question - Need help.

These were the Taiwanese knock-offs, so the prices were mostly in the $15-$25 range. As I was looking down my nose at the knives there, I heard a guy near me in the crowd say, "Boy, these knives are expensive!"

Well, can't a $25 knife be more expensive than a $100, or is that using the language the wrong way?

------------------
Urban Fredriksson
www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/

"Smooth and serrated blades cut in two entirely different fashions."
- The Teeth of the Tyrannosaurs, Scientific American, Sep 1999

let's face it: there are some folks for whom "a knife is a knife is a knife." they will balk at paying anything higher than wal mart prices. then there are the folks who care about quality, but are just ignorant. they will see the higher price on a 440V and ask, "why is that one more?" if you can get 'em to ask, you're halfway to a sale, because you can explain all the nifty advantages.

back when i was a normal well-adjusted person whose knives were only in the kitchen
wink.gif
if you had put two knives in front of me, and told me "this one one will need sharpening less often, but it's $10 more" -- i'd buy that one. nonknife folks are used to taking their knives to someone else to be sharpened--which of course is just one more errand. tell them the long-term costs (time/$$) will be lower due to less-frequent sharpenings, and i think some would gladly pay a bit more up front.

so i say go for it-- with different handle colours (dark green for me, pls), no coating.

oh, and folks mention that this is a knife which might appeal to the Rest of Us (meaning women)...i think they're right. the lock is gentler than most lockbacks, i love that the choil protects fingers during closing, and the blade shape is pleasing rather than intimidating.

mr. mattis asked about the opening radius... i'm sitting at work with a BF Native in my hand (not mine--uh, hon, when you read this, uh, well, i borrowed it again, 'kay? sorreeee!) and i agree with Nakano2 and redmag: if the scallop on the scales were deeper, the hole would be a lot easier to get to. as it is, to get a secure grip while opening it, i put the tip of my thumb inside the hole, instead of placing my thumb over the hole. this makes the leverage for opening less secure (it's a stretch for my thumb) and would be a manicure munger if i cared about such things.

opening radius is actually just a bit too wide for my hands (close, but no banana). i find i have to shift my grip on the knife halfway thru the opening arc in order to finish it one-handed--not as much as with some others, granted. trouble is, this shifting is not very safe/secure. if the hole (or the theoretical/heretical SpydieStud) were closer to the pivot, the opening arc would feel more natural and safe.

the handle sculpting actually is awkward for my hands: if i hold it with thumb-on-spine, index finger in first scallop, other three behind the bump, the sides of my index finger and thumb fall even with that first screw--pretty far back, too far for good control. if i put two fingers in front of the bump, they both won't fit. if i put my index finger up near the choil, then my third finger gets stuck on top of the scallop bump and i can't grip the knife securely....(i hope these details aren't too picky, just trying to help you visualize, Sal).

despite the above: i *still* love this knife, which shows you just how great the basic overall design is! i agree the flat grind would probably be less scary, but i like the BF Native the way it is
smile.gif
--yeah, ok, i'm thinking of getting one for my very own...

oh, and Sal...someone mentioned calling it "the Chief"...i'm native american and not to get myself into trouble here, but perhaps staying away from stereotypes as names might be a move in the direction of good karma...just a respectful suggestion.

this thread is why i love BF--a place where makers take the time to ask us ELU's what we want & what we think, and where you know they will take your input seriously.

silverwing

[This message has been edited by silverwing (edited 08 November 1999).]

James:
People don't mind paying for good steel?
There's people and there's people.

I agree. It's much like the photography market.

Why would someone want an expensive camera with manual controls when a cheap point-n-shoot will do the thinking for you?

Why would someone want to pay top dollar for something he/she has to sharpen vs a cheapo serrated (with apologies to SpyderEdge).

In both cases (camera and knives) a "pro" and "economy" product grade is probably useful, and each has their own market.

Generally, the average buyer will fail to appreciate the "pro" features, while the "pro" will forever fail to understand why anyone would want anything less
smile.gif

I don't think the extra $10.00 will be that bad. I would and do still want to get one(eventually) in 440V(plain edge of course).

------------------
I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be and atheist, but I cannot conceive how a man could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.
*Abraham Lincoln

Romans 1:20-22

Back