need some design input from y'all khukuri-nuts...

These newer ones are the best,any of them would be good.
Keep at it! :thumbup:

Daniel Koster said:
somehow I knew you'd like it. :D

Ha! I totally missed the Nessmukish in the descriptions!!!

I was just scanning the photos and going from them alone:thumbup:

What I liked about it was the handle. a bit more curve and projection of the bottom part of the butt flare:)

Looking good, Daniel. I'm glad that you're keeping the false edge rounded and hand friendly, for drawknife use. And that the section between the false edge and the sawback is fairly wide on the spine. When I use a khuk with a baton to split kindling, that's the section of the back that I hit.

I'm assuming that as khuk-inspired heavy choppers, you'll want to differentially harden these, but wouldn't that play havoc with the sawback? The saw area would have to be hardened to keep the teeth decently sharp over time ... but the teeth would then be brittle enough to break if someone's aim is off with a baton. And unless the central part of the blade is still quite soft, the hard steel on both the edge and the spine could make it less durable in heavy prying.

my intention is to give it a double-edged-sword-type heat-treat. I will clay-coat the blade, exposing the edge, as well as the sawback. Tempering will be at a bit higher temperature to allow for durability (something around 58 RH).

I still think them darned serrations should be done away with. What about an area to hammer on the back of the blade? i think that would prove more useful.

I persoanlly like 5d the most:thumbup:

On a side note, what did you use to draw the pics?

ok...I'm listening...

5e - no sawback.

khuktracker5e.gif

I dunno....I like that design...a lot...but it ain't a tracker knife without the sawback...:confused:

I'm using AutoCAD to do the drawing.

Dan, you do nice design! The only input I would have is that I really like jimping or serrations on the back of a knife for a short area, which it looks as if you have already added? You can choke up and control the knife much easier for fine cuts. I'm not talking a thumb ramp, just a grippy place to rest your thumb. With your forefinger in the choil it really helps to stabilize the knife. That's the one change I am adding to the ironwood sub-hilt AK's you did for me. Brownell's charged me a bunch for a checkering file, but I have found it was worth it.

Personally I also like a row of self-cleaning saw teeth. I'm not going to be sawing limbs down with it, but it does help on some small projects.

Thanks,

Norm

Daniel Koster said:
ok...I'm listening...
5e - no sawback.
<snip>
I dunno....I like that design...a lot...but it ain't a tracker knife without the sawback...:confused:<snip>

I have to say I just love it without the sawback.
Does it have to be a "tracker"?

"What happens if a Tracker knife travels to Nepal on the way to Down Under?
The Kostner Walkabout."

without a rounder, it ceases to be a "tracker".
Tom Brown had specific reasons for putting that tool in the design.
no rounder, not a tracker.....

Dan?

5d is my new favorite. More of a good thing. I tend to avoid sawbacks as a rule but the design kind of calls for it, no?

5d looks cool. it is going to be hard on its sheath, but it does look like a tracker that has been crossbred with a khukuri.

n2s

Dan, I despise saw teeth on a knife, but there's plenty of folks that seem to like 'em. Why not make the knife in both versions and just charge extra for the "optional" saw tooth model? Everybody wins. :D

Sarge

Well, I usually don't like saw backed knives, but for a survival knife I suppose it does make sense. It makes it much easier to cut notches for traps, and cut bone cleanly to make tools...

I thought your earlier designs looked a bit hatchet like, probably why I was drawn to them, but your latest model looks pretty nice.

kuraa pokha, manmaa naraakha
Jeremiah

Sylvrfalcn said:
Why not make the knife in both versions and just charge extra for the "optional" saw tooth model?

That's very likely to happen. :D

Thanks for the comments, guys. I gotta get some stuff done this morning...but I have one more "version" to run past you when I can get to it.

Is the blade profile starting to look "Pen Knife-y?"

Some swoops on top, and the maybe saw teeth, but belly-ied like a Pen?

Maybe so?

These will be great advertising for

Dan Koster Nives and Sharpie stuffs, LLC.

Back