Need some input on a quality whisky or what have you

Lots of good recommendations thus far. We've discussed this previously here (several times I believe) on the Busse forum, so a little searching would be worthwhile. Another good one that I'll add which isn't terribly expensive is Oban 14 year old.

Booze and Bussekin content below:

c4.jpg

Macallan_Flights.jpg

Ok, just making a joke... i actually like scotch alot, too ;-)

Sorry if there was offense taken...

Oh, the joke was that single barrel costs more than a lot of 12 year old scotch...

Bad form Retrocon :p there shouldn't be anything 'hoity toity' about a good whisky.

Running something down with inverse-snobbery isn't the best way of making your point. Whisky and bourbon are different products, both with their own great qualities.

Lisa was asking for whisky recommendations...

Oh, jack is whiskey... technically, bourbon only comes from Bourbon County Kentucky (or, rather, what used to be)... Jack is from Tennessee :D

Last edited:
as for whisky... i like my whiskey like i like my women: at least 16 years old, and all mixed up with coke! ...Just kidding, i like em over ice (also the whiskey). all that aside, as far as whiskey, you can't go wrong with glenlivet, glenfiddich, or the like. if you find you like something a little more peaty (earthy flavoured) go for Laphroaig or Tallasker, they taste like they were filtered through tree roots and they are incredible. Rum, no contest... go with carribean/cuban rums.

OK, again, i stand chastised.

my joke didn't come through too well, must not be many single barrel JD drinkers here. It's about 40 bucks a bottle, so pretty hoity toity itself ;)

I like scotch, tennessee whiskey, kentucky bourbon, kettle one vodka (especially a dirty martini), and pretty much anything with alcohol in it (except schnapps, sorry).

i will officially shuddup now :confused:

Oh, i second the glenlivet above.

i don't think most would consider scotch "hoity toity" overall... i think that's the wine tasters, scotch drinkers just like to drink. and lets let the man decide without trying to taint it with steriotypes, shall we ...it's my drink of chioce afterall, and i would hardly consider myself fancy.

Last edited:
Retrocon, absolutely no offense taken. I'm the eldest of six kids and I like a bit of 'robust' discussion! :p

Re:bourbon v whiskey, I was more referring to the ones that had been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference anyway! Over here we the choice over american whiskies is really limited to JB or JD, and is usually mixed with coke and drunk by girls (what people drink is so largely determined by the marketing...) I feel I have a lot to learn about the stuff from over the pond

Having said that, in a lot of London bars you'll see Makers Mark these days... I love it mixed in an 'old fashioned' -- I guess we have Mad Men to thank for that...

Retrocon, absolutely no offense taken. I'm the eldest of six kids and I like a bit of 'robust' discussion! :p

Re:bourbon v whiskey, I was more referring to the ones that had been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference anyway! Over here we the choice over american whiskies is really limited to JB or JD, and is usually mixed with coke and drunk by girls (what people drink is so largely determined by the marketing...) I feel I have a lot to learn about the stuff from over the pond

And i often forget that the internet is international... oops.

Anyway, if you ever have a chance to get ahold of Single Barrel Jack, give it a try. They select their best barrels and no mixing. Each bottle is numbered with the barrel, and you can really tell the difference from regular JD. Smooooooooth. Sort of like the difference to me between a bottom shelf scotch blend and a single malt 12 year old.

Nothing to rile the masses like a good whiskey debate! :D

The best stuff on the market is a relatively new phenomenon... craft bourbons. Small batches made by small distilleries. Granted it can be kinda pricey... but what the hell.

IF you don't spend your money on knives and whiskey you'll probably just waste it.

Ahhh.... another Mad Men fad... more the better.

Makers Mark isn't one of my favorites, but each to their own. I would say, however, my own little foible is that i will NEVER put anything except ice in whiskey or bourbon. Even cheap stuff, i just don't see the point, but that's just me.

Maybe that makes me a snob, if so, i'm ok with it :)

Having said that, in a lot of London bars you'll see Makers Mark these days... I love it mixed in an 'old fashioned' -- I guess we have Mad Men to thank for that...

I'm no connoisseur, but I really like my Jack Daniels. I also enjoy Bourbon now and then... Knob Creek, Makers Mark or, get this, even Jim Beam--especially in a Mint Julep (a favorite I picked up living in Kentucky). Well, my 23 year-old son has taken a liking to Bourbon and actually introduced me to Knob Creek. Well, of course, I was the one who bought the bottle, which was even more expensive than Maker's Mark, so I insisted on our conducting a blind taste test--assisted by my wife and daughter. Well, we had two trials of three unmarked shots of Jim Beam, Maker's Mark, and Knob Creek. Now, I'm sure most of you guys have much more differentiating palates than we do, but I could not tell the Maker's Mark from the Jim Beam (though I did manage to identify the Knob Creek), and my son could not tell the Knob Creek from the Jim Beam (though he did manage to identify the MaKer's Mark). So... I wouldn't let him drink the Knob Creek and kept it for myself. He was a little PO'd, but hey, science had spoken. :)

I highly recommend doing your own taste tests--it might save you some bucks, and it's fun. I've heard vodka brands are even more indistinguishable...

Around here, Vodka = Tito's (but I still like my Ketel One).

Well, I won't try to tell you that this gal moved to Colorado for the whiskey, but I respectfully put Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey right up there with some of the best I've ever had. I like Tito's for vodka, and my taste is scotch is as wide and varied as the occasion for drinking it. Life is about experiences, and I think trying things until you develop a favorite is a great way to go.

I enjoy a good cognac almost any time. For awhile, that was Martell Cordon Bleu.

It used to be crown. Now I actually like "7" the best. I think my taste buds still work.

Back