Need some input on a quality whisky or what have you

Like your advice, Moo... and let me say, i love GJ, too. Have you tried single barrel, though. Gentleman has a touch of sweet to it and very smooth, SBJD is just smooth, if you get a good barrel.

They're both favorites around here.

Sounds like there are some drinkers in here! I feel like a weirdo because after four pages, no one has mentioned one of my favorites, Gentleman Jack. Granted it's more expensive than say JD or JB, but it's definitely a huge step up. The best part is most bars will have it as opposed to Van Winkels and the ilk. That's probably how I developed a taste for it.

At any rate, for beginners going through this thread looking to pick up a few pointers, I really want to stress that your tasting technique is arguably even more important than the booze you choose to drink. What good is a $100 bottle of whiskey going to do if you don't know how to taste it properly to appreciate why it's priced the way it is? This is the method I use:

1. Pour 1/2 an ounce of whatever you want to taste in a glass. Do not smell the spirit or the glass.

2. Take a very small sip (about 1/4 of what you poured or 1/8th of an ounce). Keep that sip in the front of your mouth with your mouth closed. Don’t trap the sip on your tongue, let it naturally run off your tongue to the front of your mouth, gums, under the tongue, etc. Do not swish or agitate the sip.

3. Do a slow twelve count while letting the spirit sit in your mouth. Only breath through your nose while you do this, and do not open your mouth.

4. After twelve seconds, your sip should now have combined with a fair amount of saliva and you should be able to draw it back in a series of 4-5 small swallows.

5. Once you’ve done your swallows, exhale and breathe normally.

Next comes the magic:

6. Pick up your glass and smell the spirit. There should be no alcohol burn and you should be able to clearly smell the aromas in the glass.

7. Take another sip of the spirit and swallow it naturally. You’ll notice a significant change in the taste of the spirit.

Learning how to spell whiskey would be a good start.
Took the spelling from the bottle. I understand whiskey and whisky are both acceptable:

attachment.php

Attachments

• whisky.jpg
    whisky.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 84
This is a nice bold single malt. The 12 year old is also very good for the price >$40.00.

Aberlourabunadh.jpg

Whiskey: Your McAllan is definitely still good to drink and its not a bad bottle. I'm not really into the stuff, but for a much different experience try Laphroaig.

Bourbon: Woodford reserve for daily drunkenness, Elijah Craig 18yr single barrel for better days. Both with a splash of water.

Rum: Kraken for mixed drinks, Ron Zacapa 23yr solera for undiluted smooth enjoyment (you HAVE to try this, its not optional ;) )

Other than that I enjoy various flavored vodkas, Grand Marnier, Jagermeister (and other bitters, Fernet Branca tastes awful but will fix a sour stomach in seconds, I always keep a bottle on hand.)

Hmmmmm just got home after a night out at the bar ........

Double Wood FTW!

I just wish I had some here to finish the job,

You have come to the right place! The art of exceptional imbibing is a specialty of mine. :D

For a very nice, reasonablely priced single malt scotch, I like the Balvenie Double wood 12 year. It's about $45 per liter.

719511462_96e636a4d8.jpg

Yes and yes to the Balvenie double wood

For Scotch Whisky I'd suggest:
Balvenie Double Wood
Glenfiddich 15 Year
Aberlour a'bunadh--it's cask strength and needs to be cut with a little water.

For Kentucky Bourbon I'd recommend:
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Four Roses Single Barrel
Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 Year--good luck finding a bottle.

If it isn't from Kentucky or Scotland I don't buy it and I only drink the Irish Whiskey shots when they're given to me. :foot: :D

+1 on the Double Wood and Glenfiddich - both very smooth and easy-drinkin', but not mild or timid.

I don't drink much anymore but when I do my favorite is Bushmills Irish Whiskey.

Bear in mind that no matter what you sample, the first drink is not going to be anywhere near as good as the second. That goes for wine as well as whiskey. Your mouth has to become conditioned to it.

This thread had me go to Bakewell to my special shop for Whiskies ..."the Wee Dram" ... a great little shop ... like something out of an "older age" ... tried out some of their "tasters" ... started with the mellow Speysides before doing some Islays and peaty Highlands ... anyway ... the upshot of this trip was buying a bottle of 10 year old Benromach ... a lovely Speyside Malt ... akin to Tamnavulin ... soft fruity tastes with peat smoke flavour ... Oak casks with a sherry influence ... superb!

Tried out the Ardbergs ... definately not for me ... the Iodine from the seaweed which infuses the peat on these Island Whisky's when the Whisky is flavoured with peat smoke ... basically gives the Whisky a "TCP" or Antiseptic taste ... nope ... not my thing at all ... also destroy's your palate for anything else ... so never drink this first ...

Enjoying the Benromach as I am typing ... cheers!

I am by no means a connoisseur, I mostly stick to my Jack or Crown Royal (easiest to come by).

But I did recently grab a bottle of Revel Stoke and Superstition. both of which were pretty good. I linked them because like I said I'm not terribly into all the Nose/Palate/Finish crap...just like a good stiff drink now and then:D.

also +1 on the Kraken love that stuff. on the rum side the Bacardi Oakheart is decent as well.

Back