Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Yes, definitely buy multiple

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Nah, nothing interesting

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Who Cares

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
I remember reading something about a year or two ago having to do with demko coming out with a lock that was supposed to be on par with the triad but would allow for a flipper option, i wonder if this is a version of if? I found the article: http://knifenews.com/can-cold-steel-top-2015-demkos-new-lock-makes-flipper-possible/
I dont know enough about the new lock to figure out if its similar or not...
i ended up pre ordering the medium size and if it seems sturdy (im sure it will) will most likely be getting the large... because... ya.
:) Thanks for the link . I hadn't seen that nifty new Demko flipper lock . Very cool . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just looked at pics of the Luzon and compared them to the Demko gif . I don't think they are related in any way .
I don't follow the news on Demko customs , which is where I'd expect that new lock to appear first . If and when CS ever uses the new lock , it will be with tremendous fanfare and hype . And will likely be featured on the most premium of their knives , rather than the budget / value end . Probably never within my budget ! :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the previous Cold Steel budget line was all still made in Taiwan, no? Methinks the lack of a Triad lock on their Chinese line is probably due to concerns about counterfeiting much more than any split with Mr. Demko. I think they've likely learned their lesson from the Benchmade/Ganzo fiasco and have no desire to go down that road.

Also, on a purely personal note, I'm really fine with the standard lockback and improved steel on those models. I'd much rather have 8cr13mov that 4116 and, while the Triad lock is great, I'm fine with a budget line that does without it.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if the Chinese lineup may represent an attempt to push into a market segment that Kershaw, Gerber and Spyderco's Byrd line have been much more active and dominant in. As such, I hope they succeed as inexpensive knives like that will help bankroll pricier pieces that I favor. ;)
There are already clones of the XL Voyagers with the Triad lock . :mad:

Providing the HT is done right , 8cr should be very similar to AUS8 , which was plenty good enough ! :cool:

I remember reading something about a year or two ago having to do with demko coming out with a lock that was supposed to be on par with the triad but would allow for a flipper option, i wonder if this is a version of if? I found the article: http://knifenews.com/can-cold-steel-top-2015-demkos-new-lock-makes-flipper-possible/
I dont know enough about the new lock to figure out if its similar or not...
i ended up pre ordering the medium size and if it seems sturdy (im sure it will) will most likely be getting the large... because... ya.

nice article to look back on. those updates at 2015 were important as they CS viable in my options for knife purchases.
i think the flipper lock they are referring to is the scorpion lock. that's interesting because it does seem that the scorpion lock could be modified for flipper action.

I dont really follow demko so i dont even know what a scorpion lock is!going to go google it.

The 2015 article is talking about the Scorpion lock (there's a picture of it right in the article) but that's NOT the lock on the Luzon. The Scorpion lock is very distinctive and that's not it.

Damn, I figured there'd be more stuff added to the lineup. Are we really only getting 25 new releases this year, 9 of which aren't even knives(or for that matter, swords, tomahawks, or part of their polymer weapons line)?

Just watched the new proof video featuring the wide samburu spear which seems to be new but isn't listed on CS page yet...

Yeah that ones new, they mentioned it on their Facebook page. So there's at least some stuff that hasn't turned up on the CS new products page yet...hopefully there will be more.

The Demko custom AD15 knives are under $700. I hope Cold Steel can make a version for ~$150 or less.

Just watched the new proof video featuring the wide samburu spear which seems to be new but isn't listed on CS page yet...
Just got in touch with cold steel through their instagram page, they said that the reason it is not showing up on their website is due to an error and that there is nothing else they are releasing this year.

Just got in touch with cold steel through their instagram page, they said that the reason it is not showing up on their website is due to an error and that there is nothing else they are releasing this year.
Nothing else this year? what a joke.

:( I'm not ecstatic about the new lineup or many of my favorites that have been disco'd over the years . But , I appreciate that CS follows a different business strategy than many of the other big brands . CS puts out relatively few different models and is more able to offer affordable , yet good quality products = high value for your $$$ .:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Contrast with even Spyderco or Kai (my other prime favorites) . So many models that I can't keep track , but increasingly pricey for what you get . YMMV !

:( I'm not ecstatic about the new lineup or many of my favorites that have been disco'd over the years . But , I appreciate that CS follows a different business strategy than many of the other big brands . CS puts out relatively few different models and is more able to offer affordable , yet good quality products = high value for your $$$ .:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Contrast with even Spyderco or Kai (my other prime favorites) . So many models that I can't keep track , but increasingly pricey for what you get . YMMV !
I just don't get it, why stop a winning formula? Offer some new or variants of the XL's, a few new designs and some variants of other existing models. How about XHP tuff lites, tuff lite XL's, satin versions of black bladed knives like the lawman, a 4" frenzy etc. etc.... there were so many better options than what they chose to release. Someone is asleep at the wheel, they can't honestly think they're going to make the same $ they did in the past with this lineup for 2018. Not even close to offering anything that replaces the hold outs or talwar series. :poop:

I just don't get it, why stop a winning formula? Offer some new or variants of the XL's, a few new designs and some variants of other existing models. How about XHP tuff lites, tuff lite XL's, satin versions of black bladed knives like the lawman, a 4" frenzy etc. etc.... there were so many better options than what they chose to release. Someone is asleep at the wheel, they can't honestly think they're going to make the same $ they did in the past with this lineup for 2018. Not even close to offering anything that replaces the hold outs or talwar series. :poop:
;) Yeah , I agree , but I assume they do market research and know their own sales success rate . Just cause WE might buy something doesn't mean there is a large market . If I had L.T.'s private line on my speed dial , I'd ask .:rolleyes:

The Demko custom AD15 knives are under $700. I hope Cold Steel can make a version for ~$150 or less.
Demko customs are NOT under 700 dollars. The production version ad15 is far far far from a custom in level of quality. It does have a scorpion lock though.

And is the "leaf spring lock" a liner or back lock or what? Not very specific on the website.

And is the "leaf spring lock" a liner or back lock or what? Not very specific on the website.
I have a feeling that it's a similar idea to CRKT's "AUTO LAWK" system. Looks like it's in addition to the Tri-ad lock. A back up if you will. I've never been worried using a Tri-ad.

I have a feeling that it's a similar idea to CRKT's "AUTO LAWK" system. Looks like it's in addition to the Tri-ad lock. A back up if you will. I've never been worried using a Tri-ad.
I don't think the leaf spring lock is the same as the tri ad lock, from pics it looks like a liner lock of some sort..

Back