Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Yes, definitely buy multiple

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • Nah, nothing interesting

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Who Cares

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Here's a crazy theory...just looked at the old catalogs and the Tri-Ad lock was introduced in 2008. Maybe Demko and CS had some sort of 10-year deal that has now expired, and it would be too costly to use the Tri-Ad on the cheaper knives.

That could be the reason.

I'm liking the storm cloud, just not the price. Will need to keep an eye out for sales!

Absolutely! That said, I really wonder... With CS apparently moving away from the Triad lock, is it possible that LT and AD will be parting ways in the not too distant future...? I'm just wondering out loud, here.

I hope a CS with a scorpion lock is coming some time in the near future though..

I don't think you can say they are moving away from the Triad. It looks like they're just introducing a line of Chinese made knives at a lower price point.

The Storm Cloud looks like it has an unusual grind. It's not a typical tanto grind. Looks like they just left it thicker at the tip kind of like WE Knives does on some models.

I don't think you can say they are moving away from the Triad. It looks like they're just introducing a line of Chinese made knives at a lower price point.

But they already HAD knives at that same price point(Working Man, Finn Wolf, Tuff Lite), WITH the Triad lock. It's not that the Triad lock was raising the price point, it's that now you'll be getting knives at the same price point you could ALREADY get a Triad lock knife at, just, without the Triad.

Mhmm. :thumbsup:

But they already HAD knives at that same price point(Working Man, Finn Wolf, Tuff Lite), WITH the Triad lock. It's not that the Triad lock was raising the price point, it's that now you'll be getting knives at the same price point you could ALREADY get a Triad lock knife at, just, without the Triad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the previous Cold Steel budget line was all still made in Taiwan, no? Methinks the lack of a Triad lock on their Chinese line is probably due to concerns about counterfeiting much more than any split with Mr. Demko. I think they've likely learned their lesson from the Benchmade/Ganzo fiasco and have no desire to go down that road.

Also, on a purely personal note, I'm really fine with the standard lockback and improved steel on those models. I'd much rather have 8cr13mov that 4116 and, while the Triad lock is great, I'm fine with a budget line that does without it.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if the Chinese lineup may represent an attempt to push into a market segment that Kershaw, Gerber and Spyderco's Byrd line have been much more active and dominant in. As such, I hope they succeed as inexpensive knives like that will help bankroll pricier pieces that I favor. ;)

The Storm Cloud. Very sexy blade...

21tu.jpg

The Storm Cloud. Very sexy blade...

21tu.jpg
Something about it has me on the fence, i just can't decide if i like it. I think it's the tip, it looks insanely thick behind the edge and i feel it could get ugly if you tried to re-profile it (big fat bevel). It's a handsome knife tho, if this was in a drop point i would be ALL over it.

Eh, the only Thing I'm interested in the Mini Tac Bowie of all things.

I just hope they don't mess up the HT.

Something about it has me on the fence, i just can't decide if i like it. I think it's the tip, it looks insanely thick behind the edge and i feel it could get ugly if you tried to re-profile it (big fat bevel). It's a handsome knife tho, if this was in a drop point i would be ALL over it.

The tip design looks a bit funky to me as well. Still I'll be curious to see more pics and video when its released.

i suppose cold steel wants the tip on the storm cloud to be robust for some stab and prying motions as cold steel is sort of famous for that.
there was that whole fiasco with First Edge tanto tip snapping off on some wood boards on Budgetbugout on youtube. I think he expected more because of his recon tanto(although i have seen that tip break off on another youtubers vid). so i'm gonna guess that cold steel tests this and adjusts the blade thickness and geometry to handle this situation.
speaking of First Edge, they claim their locking mechanism can handle 1000lbs. would that make it the strongest production folder? lol who knows...

:eek: I can't believe I failed to even notice that ! :confused:
I remember reading something about a year or two ago having to do with demko coming out with a lock that was supposed to be on par with the triad but would allow for a flipper option, i wonder if this is a version of if? I found the article: http://knifenews.com/can-cold-steel-top-2015-demkos-new-lock-makes-flipper-possible/
I dont know enough about the new lock to figure out if its similar or not...
i ended up pre ordering the medium size and if it seems sturdy (im sure it will) will most likely be getting the large... because... ya.

Back