1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

[New and improved] Whats your Favorite Blade Steel (yes Again)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by EntrancedVermin, Aug 22, 2016.

Pick your all time favorite.

Poll closed Oct 21, 2016.
  1. M390

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. S35V

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. S30V

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1095

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. CMP-M4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. CMP-3V

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. VG-10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. O1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 5160

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 440

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. AUS-8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. INFI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. A2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. SR101

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. ATS 34

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 52100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. CPM-154

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. CPM-10V

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. YXR7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Other's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    :D Actually many would say I am bad, very bad, like seinfeld

[​IMG]

2. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    this is what bowling pin looks like inside. Very compressed wood almost like a plywood.

[​IMG]

3. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    That looks very dense, as would be expected to get any action out of the pin. Is that mistress A2 or INFI?

4. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    That is the original Battle Mistress. First knives made of INFI.

Very dense wood. I could shoot them at 15 yards with handguns all day long and not penetrate them.

5. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    A beauty. Thank you.

6. hookahhabib

hookahhabib Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Soooo freakin cool Cobalt!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

7. EntrancedVermin

EntrancedVermin

Jul 26, 2016
    Poor bowling pin, it deserved better :D

8. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    I saw the original poll--no infi, so I voted 1095. However, in my comments I said I did so because there was no infi. I would have voted infi regardless--because it is my favorite, and I consider it the best. No one tells me what to think or do. To suggest otherwise is insulting. I'm good with speaking for myself. And I've used Beckers and Busses, and all sorts of knives long enough to know my preferences.

9. banana-clip

banana-clip

Jun 7, 2007
    ^^^ I seen the poll before the post in the Busse subforum and I like M390 in folders and INFI in my fixed blades.

I did vote for INFI and that was before I seen Cobalts post in the Busse forum.

10. mach 5

mach 5 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2012

I used do do some shooting competitions in which we were timed to draw and shoot 5 bowling pins off a card table; .45s worked the best. Bowling pins are so dense and elastic that most handgun bullets will bounce off of an unbraced pin. Your Busse Steel Heart, however does not seem to bounce off; well done.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  11. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    I use to have a good supply of pins. Not any more. But you are correct, handguns would never penetrate them. Only my high powered rifles would. But they would go through and literally not cause any damage to the pin. Just an entrance and exit hole is all. By the way that knife is a battlemistress. But the original steel heart was very similar in design, except slightly shorter and more drop point.

12. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Handguns penetrate a bowling pin? No, they def bounce. :D but there is a hole in the bottom, great small target for 9mm. I have a pin with my round still in it, rattling around inside. Not a bad shot from about 60-70 ft away, borrowed G19 gen 1. :)

13. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Back in the early 90's our gun club put on bowling pin matches. It was a money match with winner take all. Some guy named Miculek always won it... with a revolver.

14. banana-clip

banana-clip

Jun 7, 2007
    Do the bowling alleys still give away their dented and banged up pins for free or do you have to pay for them?

I'd like to get a few of them for targets.

15. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    No. The bastards got wise

16. banana-clip

banana-clip

Jun 7, 2007
    Thanks Cobalt, I figured they were free anymore since I seen a box of them at a pawn shop not that long ago.

17. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    If u can get them cheap they are still great targets. They last forever.

18. Joshua J.

Joshua J.

Feb 27, 2005
    BG-42

Best non-PM steel ever made.

19. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    Fixed it for you. And I partially agree. I wish CRK had kept that steel.

20. Joshua J.

Joshua J.

Feb 27, 2005
    I still think people should be doing sprint runs in CTS-B75P just for the neo-retro appeal (...if that's a thing?), but as long as we're voting on all time appeal I have to go for the original.
    Just like Star Wars, you always stick to the first release.