• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

New blade for my dads Auto

IF YOU ARE HERE TO INSULT AND CONTRIBUTE NOTHING THEN PLEASE DO NOT POST

My dad has an automatic knife that he LOVES but he hates the steel. I will admit that this cheap knife is cheap, but it feels good in its hand and the spring opens harder than some of my Benchmades. He even carries it over a Dalton Cupid.

I was hoping to find if anyone knows where I can get a blade made for it of a better steel. I am willing to send the knife, I just need the blade changed to something better. I talked to Protech because they have a similar model just higher quality (and overpriced) and they refused to sell an individual blade so anyone know if someone can make me a blade replacement as a gift for my dad?

Pics of it next to my Umnumzaan
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Last edited:
It could be a custom maker or anything, Just poorly heat treated 440a just doesnt work well. He doesnt care about the knife construction, only about the blade and how fast it opens so since its already fast and powerful, I was hoping to upgrade his 440A to something better

I'm not surprised that Pro-Tech declined to help you. First off, the knife is a copy of what looks to be a Godfather. Mailing automatic knives from a manufacturer to an individual would be suicide for them. There is a reason they specifically state that they won't touch anything unless you provide current and valid proof of being LEO or active duty military. Also, there are issues with fit and finish that need to be checked.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that Pro-Tech declined to help you. First off, the knife is a copy of what looks to be a Godfather. Mailing automatic knives from a manufacturer to an individual would be suicide for them. The is a reason they specifically state that they won't touch anything unless you provide current and valid proof of being LEO or active duty military. Also, there are issues with fit and finish that need to be checked.
It's actually not a purposeful knock off. Its really old (despite its look) and I am not looking for the whole knife, Just the blade. I can disassemble the blade and ship to someone if needed. As you see with how it's closed, it's not similar entirely just close enough. (why i said similiar not the same, I think the protech would be better because it hides the blade in handle)

I am just looking for a replacement blade to be cloned from this. I can send whole knife (disassembled if it goes across states) or just blade.

You might try Farid, a custom maker here, i've talked to him about making custom blades for my PM2, though looking at the price of a Protech Godfather, getting a one off custom blade made that has to fit well into that knife would probably be pretty close in price to just buying an entire godfather, not to mention the wait as he will have other work ahead of it.

You might try Farid, a custom maker here, i've talked to him about making custom blades for my PM2, though looking at the price of a Protech Godfather, getting a one off custom blade made that has to fit well into that knife would probably be pretty close in price to just buying an entire godfather, not to mention the wait as he will have other work ahead of it.

Ya good point. How do I get in contact with him? I am having issues posting on his page or finding his email

So youre planning on throwing away good money to have a decent blade made for a cheap clone knife.
What are you going to do when the rest of the knife fails because it's a cheap clone, have more parts made for it?
Your best bet is to save your money and buy your dad a decent and quality knife. He probably derserves it.

With that said, and i'm pretty sure you've heard this before, General discussion is not an all purpose subforum. Please put threads in the appropriate place. Moving to Automatics.

Does this hold some sentimental value? My guess would be that you will have less trouble and expense in simply purchasing a nice production piece instead of a Frankenstein knife.

This project will likely either be very expensive or have very unreliable results...perhaps even both.

So youre planning on throwing away good money to have a decent blade made for a cheap clone knife.
What are you going to do when the rest of the knife fails because it's a cheap clone, have more parts made for it?
Your best bet is to save your money and buy your dad a decent and quality knife. He probably derserves it.

With that said, and i'm pretty sure you've heard this before, General discussion is not an all purpose subforum. Please put threads in the appropriate place. Moving to Automatics.
It's actually not a clone just similar enough that I could get a blade from protech and alter it.
Does this hold some sentimental value? My guess would be that you will have less trouble and expense in simply purchasing a nice production piece instead of a Frankenstein knife.

This project will likely either be very expensive or have very unreliable results...perhaps even both.
For him it does. I don't know why but it does for some reason. I'm willing to bare the cost if it means something important to him gets and upgrade. I honestly would prefer to just by him a socom or a vallatton but he likes that knife and is attached to it. He just hates the steel. So that's were I come in. He is odd knife wise. He like my zaan but said "it needs a button somewhere, anywhere".

Just looking to upgrade something he likes. Gave him an elmax fixedblade Wednesday as a gift this project may be pricey but he is attached to that knife for some reason

Listen to folks.

Just look for a used Godfather as an upgrade and be done w/it. He'll get "attached" to it in short order and thank you profusely...

Well then, good luck to you. Properly fitting a new blade into that knife won't be easy. *Blade play* comes to mind...

i know. I am just looking for someone to clone the blade but with something better than cheap 440a. I understand its hard, but im going for it.

I cannot believe someone is actually going to pay to have a custom blade made for a $5 knife. The money you will spend on a custom blade would allow for the purchase of a supposed "overpriced" protech knife. Even funnier is the Chris reeve knife in the photos. Overpriced seems like it would be your last concern. Good luck in your hunt. As pointless as it may be.

I cannot believe someone is actually going to pay to have a custom blade made for a $5 knife. The money you will spend on a custom blade would allow for the purchase of a supposed "overpriced" protech knife. Even funnier is the Chris reeve knife in the photos. Overpriced seems like it would be your last concern. Good luck in your hunt. As pointless as it may be.

It's alot like those guys who go out and buy a Cold Steel LTC KLO, and then pay $50-$100 to have a custom kydex or leather sheath made for it.
Utterly pointless and throwing good money after bad.

......its for my dad. If you wish to insult me for doing something for my father then kindly gtfo. I have already stated my reasons and how its what he wants. You insults contribute NOTHING to this thread and only show your lack of respect for my decision

If the point of this thread is to have a blade made for this knife it's in the wrong section. Moving to Wanted: Knifemaker / Craftsman / Related Services.

Last edited:
......its for my dad. If you wish to insult me for doing something for my father then kindly gtfo. I have already stated my reasons and how its what he wants. You insults contribute NOTHING to this thread and only show your lack of respect for my decision

Funny how you choose to be insulted by my post and report it, but not the post i was responding to.
Don't be surprised when most makers turn you down flat, most will not want to make a blade for a clone as much as they will not want to make a clone knife. You've been given good advice here, but only you can choose to listen to it.

Back