New Doug Ritter folder

I received mine on Saturday. Meant to write up a quick comparison with the gen 1 but I guess everyone already knew most things I'm gonna say. Overall it is a great folder especially given the price point. The edge / sharpening work is definitely better than the Benchmade, similar to CRK's factory sharpening. The g10 handle is better than the plastic handle although the ergo is pretty much the same. It is good to see they use the same #8 screws throughout the scale and the pocket clip on this gen 2.

A couple of criticisms. The action of my gen 2 Ritter out of the box was below average (compared to most knives in this price range) and the blade would not go back to the fully closed position if it were pulled slightly out, making me thinking the spring(s) were not working properly. Took me some effort to disassemble the knife because the pivot barrel got stuck in the liner on the clip side. After buffing the pivot hole of the liner with some sandpaper it was no longer an issue. Polished the washer as well and applied some nano oil. Now the action is butter smooth with zero blade play. The blade also springs back to fully closed position securely after being slightly pulled out.

The main complaint from me about this knife however is the pocket clip. The clip end that is close to the lanyard hole definitely creates a hot spot in my palm. Had that end been a bit narrower it would feel more comfortable, I believe. I understand hand size varies so this may not be an issue for others.

I have not decided if I'll move my gen 1.

The main complaint from me about this knife however is the pocket clip.

Try a Les George, or a Yucca clip.
Both work great.

s-l1600.jpg

I received mine on Saturday. Meant to write up a quick comparison with the gen 1 but I guess everyone already knew most things I'm gonna say. Overall it is a great folder especially given the price point. The edge / sharpening work is definitely better than the Benchmade, similar to CRK's factory sharpening. The g10 handle is better than the plastic handle although the ergo is pretty much the same. It is good to see they use the same #8 screws throughout the scale and the pocket clip on this gen 2.

A couple of criticisms. The action of my gen 2 Ritter out of the box was below average (compared to most knives in this price range) and the blade would not go back to the fully closed position if it were pulled slightly out, making me thinking the spring(s) were not working properly. Took me some effort to disassemble the knife because the pivot barrel got stuck in the liner on the clip side. After buffing the pivot hole of the liner with some sandpaper it was no longer an issue. Polished the washer as well and applied some nano oil. Now the action is butter smooth with zero blade play. The blade also springs back to fully closed position securely after being slightly pulled out.

The main complaint from me about this knife however is the pocket clip. The clip end that is close to the lanyard hole definitely creates a hot spot in my palm. Had that end been a bit narrower it would feel more comfortable, I believe. I understand hand size varies so this may not be an issue for others.

I have not decided if I'll move my gen 1.

Agree on the pocket clip. Will see what I can get locally to replace it with.

My action out of the box though was spot on.

Been having mine since Dec. & I still can't find any fault with it other than the pocket clip to which I remedied w/ a BM clip. I am looking forward to different sizes & maybe some different material scales? Carbon fiber, titanium w/ micarta inlays...etc. Maybe even a DLC coated blade for those who like that.
Really, I love the clip it comes with ,sure hope they end up making a mini version

Got the shipping notice
Now the wait !
G2

My clip created a hot spot on my hand. Switched it w/ a BM clip & comfy. Now the clip on my EX-01 is comfy, go figure.

I ordered mine a few days earlier
G2

Mine got lost for a few days but finally arrived today
Looks great but the jury’s out on the clip
G2

Nice, a good word for this folder.

Fit and finish is very good, after a short try with the clip it arrived with, I replaced it with a smaller Benchmade clip, the one used on the Bugout folders. For me that works out very well, unfortunately Benchmade won't send that particular clip out, so I actually traded a fellow for his.

Action, while pretty smooth, like most things with time it should smooth out more, so, not being a patient man, I took it apart and very lightly polished the washers and reassembled with some Nano oil and now it opens and closes, fall closes, easily. Also for me I like the flat side of the pivot to be on the presentation side, just cleaner looking to my view, I did the same with CRK folders as well and then they changed.

Blade, well ground and evenly sharpened, arrived paracord popping sharp, again, Nice ;)

The zippered pouch is also well done and nice addition to come with the knife. They included a ketchup packet like of Gun Oil, since I can't reseal it I haven't opened it. But if I ever run out of nano oil, I'll give it a go.

I like adding a bobtail fob to most all my folders, and usually try to tie it around the last standoff, but the edge was too close so I had to resort to the proffered lanyard hole. Here are a few images of mine;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

with the short clip

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Looking forward to seeing how well the heat treat is on this as the blade is ground down thin, well, fairly thin as I'm getting about .020" or so behind the edge measurements.

G2

Last edited:
Back