New EDC (first post edit for more info)

I'm new to the forum because I'm itching for a new EDC. Currently I carry a CRKT M16-13z with a Zytel handle and the AutoLAWKS. The blade is a little over 3 inches.

I like what this knife has to offer, but after a tooth breaking off from the serrations, its time for me to move on.

I don't want to spend more than 100 bones, but wold like something with about the same blade length, and quality.

Fine edge is preferred, but a fine/serrated combo is dandy as well.

I've been looking into kershaws, but I don't know a whole lot about them.

My specs are as such:
-quality feel
-$100 or less
-locking
-strong when opened
-3"-4" blade
-hold an edge well
-ambidextrous thumb studs
-pocket clip

Preferred(but not mandatory)
-tip down carry.
-assisted opening
-flipper

Any help??

Last edited:
don't want to spend more than 100 bones, but wold like something with about the same blade length, and quality.

You might wanna try Spyderco Tenacious. Less than $50, hard worker, excellent lock up, but its quality is above CRKT M16; that okay with you ? :D

or if you want a bit more blade i say check out the endura or delica. the locks are a bit sturdier and theyre super light. the centofante 3 is also nice.

as for kershaw, if youre looking for something inexpensive they have some nice ones. the G10 hawk are skyline are decent inexpensive models as is the leek.

for under 100 you might want to contact kershawguy for a blem zt0200 if you want a super beefy folder

Last edited:
I'd do with a Benchmade grip. I edc an Izula and a SAK solo however I really like axis lock.

Axis lock is FANTASTIC, definitely alot of great folders that fall into your budget, just need to narrow down the style youre looking for

A lot of people see to really like the Kershaw Leek. You could also look at (an ascending order of size) the Spyderco Delica (3"), Stretch FRN (3.5"), or Endura (3.75"). Benchmade has the Griptillian line that are nice if you like the Axis lock.

also, if you order from an online dealer that has them in stock, pick up an opinel (i like the number 8) for 8 or 9 bucks its totally worth it. hard to not get it razor sharp and cheap enough where if you lose it, it wont bother you.

they're easy to customize too

less than $100 is easy. there are A LOT of excellent hard working folders in that criteria. the aforementioned suggestions are all well within your perimeter. :thumbup:

now you got a headache, and you will purchase more than you need, so let me say it now : welcome, fellow knifenut !! :D :D :D

I have a few questions before I can make a suggestion
Do you prefer tip up or tip down carry?
Blade length?
Do you prefer a choil?
What type of lock do you prefer?

PS
If you are not terribly experienced with knives you might want to pick up a couple of more inexpensive knives (ie Kershaws, spyderco tenacious etc) and figure out just what it is that you like.

Last edited:
I have a few knives that I don't use often, and a few that I hate, but I do enjoy them, they are so useful everyday. But enough preaching to the choir.

Within the knives listed, there are so many variations i just don't get it.

EDIT
I have a few questions before I can make a suggestion
Do you prefer tip up or tip down carry?
Blade length?
Do you prefer a choil?
What type pf lock do you prefer?

Tip down carry

Blade length about 3"

no choil needed

Frame or in-line lock, doesn't matter

Last edited:
I have a few knives that I don't use often, and a few that I hate, but I do enjoy them, they are so useful everyday. But enough preaching to the choir.

Within the knives listed, there are so many variations i just don't get it.

EDIT

Tip down carry

Blade length about 3"

WTF is choil

Frame or in-line lock, doesn't matter

Kershaw Blur! for sure. I believe you can find some with premium steels on the Dealer forum. Try Kershaw Guy.

Thanks for clearing that up, on choil, and no I don't see the need for that with my usage.

What is a good steel to look for? All the different names have me confused

I recommend the Lahar or Zing from Kershaw, the Tenacious or Persistence from Spyderco, and the Hyper from Boker.

There are a lot of good steels. Pretty much anything but 440A, AUS6, or anything 420 are considered your "premium" steels.

There are a lot of knives in VG-10, S30V, AUS8 and 440C. These are lower end "premium" steels.

Your "super steels" are ZDP-189, S90V, M4 (not stainless).

Note, there are many steels not listed here, I just tried to hit the popular ones.

Side note: steels like AUS6, 8CR13Mov, and 420HC are really easy to get a great edge on, but the trade-off is losing it more quickly. If you are a sharpening ace, you may look past these, but if you struggle a little with sharpening you may end up liking them better. What use is a ZDP-189 blade that will hold an edge for two weeks if you can never get it back to screamin' sharp with teh tools or skills you have?

Top 3 picks for me would be a Spyderco Sage 1, Benchmade Griptilian, or a Kershaw Leek. I own all three, all of them are fantastic knives.

-Freq

Back