New Emerson EDC / Multitool

Does any other mfr CNC machine their pliers from D2 steel? No. Do they machine their tool components using wire-EDM/CNC? No.

Blah, blah, blah, blah is all I hear coming from you. Who are you anyways? Are you the owner of Multitasker? Let me give you a word of advice son. Your arrogant attitude here creates bad business for the company. After reading some of your posts trying to confront people that criticize your tools I can sure as Hell say that I would never buy a damn thing from you guys.

Overpriced compared to what?

Compared to just about every other reputable multi-tool there is out there. Please tell me what difference does wire EDM/CNC machining do on your tools when compared to any other so called regular multi-tool. How exactly does it make the tool superior or last longer? Also please tell me how your Emerson tool is superior to a Leatherman MUT which is about $80 less expensive and yet carries more functional tools/features.

Does any other mfr CNC machine their pliers from D2 steel? No.

You're damn right they don't. Who in their right mind would want to use D2 on their pliers? Don't you guys realize that D2 is a poor choice for pliers as it is fairly brittle and has a tendency to break under high stress and tension? D2 is a terrible choice for pliers. Just because it is labeled as a "tool steel" doesn't mean it's the right steel for the job. :rolleyes:

Wow - I am really starting to lose my stomach for this forum. So much bashing and hatred any more.

Emerson brought an interesting concept to the marketplace. Over time there will be videos and written reviews, so those that are on the fence can decide for themselves.

Multitasker is a company and they are defending their product - which I fully expect them to do if they are reputable.

How can you even bash a product until you acquire one and use it for a while??

I hope Ernest Emerson offers one up for a pass around - I think there would be real interest and it would give all of us on the fence a chance to hold it and use it.

Only then will the comments and feedback hold any weight.

Guys, the suggested retail price is RARELY ever the same as street price. I don't care for the fact that it's made in China either BUT I won't judge a TOOL before I actually use it. If the price (when it hits the street) is reasonable, I'll probably pick one up and run it through it's paces. In the end, it's a tool and if it's street price is too high, their sales will show it. If however, it turns out to be an outstanding tool at a decent price, I bet the made in China part won't matter as much. We'll see..

As the first to respond in this thread I feel like I want to clarify my answer after reading everything else that's been going on here....

I have no doubt that the edc is a great tool. I love the design and innovation used in the screwdrivers locking at 90 and 180deg. I dig that its a multi tool that incorporates G10 and a pocket clip. The little tool that slides off with a bottle opener and everything is a great addition too. A commander blade with wave? Icing on the cake.

I've wanted one of these since the first review and YouTube video. As a big time Emerson fan it seemed like a no brainer to buy one. But after learning origin and price point I can't justify it. Again - personal preference. Not a slam at MT or EKI

Also another personal drawback is I have half a dozen multi tools lying around here, in my car, tool belt, etc. anyways. So it also doesn't fill a need for me either. Other than I still love the concept with a g10 handle and pocket clip.

Msrp on a micro commander is around $200 and made of 154cm. The multitasker has a micro commander blade made of "better" d2 steel. Plus its a multi tool with other stuff on it and uses g10. I dont understand what everyone is complaining about. Sounds like its priced right where it should be. Honestly, which seems like the better buy?

$200 - 154cm micro commander blade waved

Screenshot_2013-04-28-10-39-07.png

$185 - d2 micro commander blade waved, phillips and flathead screwdrivers, awl, pry tool with wrench cutouts in standard and metric, bottle opener

Screenshot_2013-04-28-10-31-42.png

Last edited:
Im not 100% pro emerson so dont label me as such. A lot of knives are over priced for what they are and they all sell with no problem. Im a knife guy, not a brand guy.

Read it again. It wasn't you who was being quoted. As far as the Mini Commander being overpriced...it too is overpriced.
D2 being a better steel.....Harder steel yes, better I wouldn't agree with that nor would many of the EKI fans.

I love emerson knives as much as the next guy, owned almost every production model made at one time or another as well. I had no idea the knife was made in China until reading this thread, I thought that was one of EKI's benchmarks was 100% American made???? That's a whole different discussion, but the EDC-1 itself just doesn't appeal to me.

Overpriced compared to what? Does any other mfr CNC machine their pliers from D2 steel? No. Do they machine their tool components using wire-EDM/CNC? No.

Overpriced for a good multitool. Good luck keeping that multi tool around for long. I really do hope it sells just because of it's uniquness. As far as it being a good buy, not a chance. Who does your steel manufacturing. I worked in steel manufacturing for over 20yrs. As far as the blade goes, D2 is realativly the same cost as 154CM. And the companies like Leatherman that use 154CM don't cut their blanks with a punch. So they either EDM or use lasers. By the way..EDM/CNC is not the most effecient way to cut your steel. Mazak/CNC is more effecient. But that's ok, not everyone can be cutting edge.

Blah, blah, blah, blah is all I hear coming from you. Who are you anyways? Are you the owner of Multitasker? Let me give you a word of advice son. Your arrogant attitude here creates bad business for the company. After reading some of your posts trying to confront people that criticize your tools I can sure as Hell say that I would never buy a damn thing from you guys.

Compared to just about every other reputable multi-tool there is out there. Please tell me what difference does wire EDM/CNC machining do on your tools when compared to any other so called regular multi-tool. How exactly does it make the tool superior or last longer? Also please tell me how your Emerson tool is superior to a Leatherman MUT which is about $80 less expensive and yet carries more functional tools/features.

Please read what I posted. I have not insulted anyone, merely responded to the accusations that Multitasker products are overpriced.

Are you really going to compare our CNC-machined pliers to the mass market investment cast pliers and claim that they are inferior? I'd prefer NOT to cloud up this Emerson EDC post with your disdain for our products, so if you'd like to make a post in the Multitool Forum, I will be happy to make a direct comparison for you.

Overpriced for a good multitool. Good luck keeping that multi tool around for long. I really do hope it sells just because of it's uniquness. As far as it being a good buy, not a chance. Who does your steel manufacturing. I worked in steel manufacturing for over 20yrs. As far as the blade goes, D2 is realativly the same cost as 154CM. And the companies like Leatherman that use 154CM don't cut their blanks with a punch. So they either EDM or use lasers. By the way..EDM/CNC is not the most effecient way to cut your steel. Mazak/CNC is more effecient. But that's ok, not everyone can be cutting edge.

We use D2 for the entire plier head. Everyone else uses investment cast 420 stainless. Fact.

As for EDm vs CNC, we use both. And our tools are distinguished by a LACK of stamped, MIM and investment cast parts. If you can't appreciate the difference vs the mass produced multitools, then that is your prerogative.

But your argument for our products being "overpriced for a good multitool" is not based on material selection or build quality.

Last edited:
My Multitasker is pretty damned awesome and I never knew it was made in China until now. Oh well, I am already over it. It does what I need it to do better than the other tools I have had in the past so for my needs it is the best out there. If there were better for my needs I would own it and then go in that thread and say the same thing. If you think it is crap don't buy one but certainly one should actually use the item in question prior to slamming it. If it is a matter of the price oh well. Make more money or don't buy it. Pretty simple. The market will take care of the rest.

I love emerson knives as much as the next guy, owned almost every production model made at one time or another as well. I had no idea the knife was made in China until reading this thread, I thought that was one of EKI's benchmarks was 100% American made???? That's a whole different discussion, but the EDC-1 itself just doesn't appeal to me.

Mr. Emerson reached out to us to build him a custom multitool for EKI, as he had no experience building these. The end result is the EDC-1.

There is also a plier-based tool in the works, but no firm release date.

Christ. I haven't posted here in years, but oh well. I have done a direct comparison with the Multitasker Series 2 multitool and the Leatherman MUT. The MUT is a poorly designed joke in comparison.
Oh, and just for the record, the MUT is ASSEMBLED in the USA. Not made. Several of the components are MIM-cast parts from companies in India and elsewhere. I'd buy a Multitasker over a Leatherman, any day of the week.
Here's the review I did.

http://specialcircumstancesinc.blogspot.com/2011/07/multitasker-series2-ar-specific.html

Does multi tasker have a tool that isn't oriented for an AR-15? Something that exchanges all the AR-15 tools for more every day use tools? I like the looks of that Multitasker multi-tool in the review but since I don't have an AR-15 and don't care to ever own such a thing I would like to see a Multitasker tool with edc friendly tools.

I used both Gerber and Leatherman products in theater for over 4 years, and continued to use them in daily living with my new occupations.

That being said, I was never truly satisfied with the pliers on either brand-they're both shit, and can't stand up to the insulation on slash wire-this is coming from a former communications chief. The metal was too soft, and I would always end up with dull, practically useless pliers. If you guys had to cut the same crappy wire I did, you'd see why milled D2 steel is certainly appreciated.

I am now an owner of the EDC-1, and even without the pliers, it's far superior. The profile allows me to carry it on my person, rather than in my bag, so it's always ready, unlike my other tools.

Even without the pliers, I prefer the EDC-1 to my Gerber. As I understand it, both Leatherman and Gerber now manufacture their stuff overseas anyway. Anyone bashing the product obviously hasn't handled it. I find myself frustrated that people that call themselves enthusiasts can be so easily pointed out as subjective and elitist-you do nothing for your opinion or cause.

As someone who has actually *OWNED* a Multitasker Series 2 as well as every single Leatherman model since the Pulse and many Gerber, SOG, and Victorinox examples I feel obligated to throw in my two cents... When you manufacture parts to such tight tolerances, using CNC milling instead of casting pot metal, things get expensive. The only reason Leathermans say they are Made In The USA is because they get their shitty Bangladesh-produced parts and assemble them here. Yes, that is legally enough to label your product Made In The USA. If a Multitasker was truly made in the USA, it would be $400. At least Multitasker is honest about their processes and still put out a quality product. How many Leathermen have broken at the pliers? Millions. How many Multitaskers have done the same? Zero. Maybe one, ever. I no longer have a Series 2 but thinking back to it I can honestly say I can't even imagine a way one could break. It is honestly the most solid, well made multitool I've ever handled. The only thing that comes anywhere close would be the Victorinox Swisstool. Leathermans are fantastic *cheap* tools. Think Ford Taurus. Multitaskers are like Mitsu EVOs. They're not even in the same league... As for the EDC-1 I have not personally handled one, but I certainly can't fathom someone thinking it's overpriced.

The people complaining: you must be the kind of people that say "BMWs are so overpriced! My Honda Civic can get me there and back, why are BMWs so expensive then??"

Read it again. It wasn't you who was being quoted. As far as the Mini Commander being overpriced...it too is overpriced.
D2 being a better steel.....Harder steel yes, better I wouldn't agree with that nor would many of the EKI fans.

Maybe YOU should go back and reread it. You said anyone who isnt anti emerson is 100% pro emerson. That would include me, and im not 100% pro any brand. I put "better" in quotations meaning a lot of people assume it to be better. I prefer 154 myself. And If you think emersons are over priced in general then what are you even doing in this forum? I could go to the crk forum and complain that they are too expensive but I dont.What the multitasker does is take an existing emerson product and add tools to it in a nice package and offer it at a cheaper price. If you think the emerson itself is too expensive then thats a whole different subject.

Back