New Emerson EDC / Multitool

See what I mean? Typical asshat with an anti agenda. Completely unprovoked.... One more reason Blade Forums sucks. LOL.

Enough of that. Discuss the topic, discuss the multitool, discuss the price, the production, but do not discuss each other. We are not in Whine & Cheese.

Enough of that. Discuss the topic, discuss the multitool, discuss the price, the production, but do not discuss each other. We are not in Whine & Cheese.

with that in mind, here's a photo showing the super pointy awl on the EDC-1 (it also has a scraper edge)

393062_501765139890219_423976141_n.jpg

17301_490108124389254_1921809440_n.jpg

It looks like a great little tool from the vids I've seen. For me, a $185 chinese multi tool is just too steep.
The same goes with knives. I remember the old U.S. made knives our grandfathers had. There is just something special about a U.S. made knife. From the $20 Buck Bantam to the $400+ Striders, I just can't find the same type of love for modern foreign made pocket knives.:eek:

I like the looks of that tool and i want to get it, but i have to admit that the price is steep. That being said, ive always thought that Emerson priced his products quite steeply and that the relatively high price is one of the reasons, i havent bought one of his knives yet. I didnt expect a Emerson-licensed tool to be any different. But im really digging it and will probably get it in the near future.

The whole China-made does not put me off, and i hate being the one breaking it to you, but "Made in the US" does not equal flawless build and excellent fit & finish. Ive got US-made ZT's, BM's and Spydercos that are proof of that :rolleyes:

All my (few) Chinese made products have been of good quality, be it my Boker Exskelibur, Spyderco Tenacious, etc. As long as ive stuck to products by a reputable manufacturer, ive been allright. I would not expect the same with no-name brands sold at gas-stations though.

By the way, many sites state that the EDC-1 is "Made in Taiwan". Which is it? Mainland China or Taiwan?

By the way, many sites state that the EDC-1 is "Made in Taiwan". Which is it? Mainland China or Taiwan?

I was wondering that myself, I realize that it is baseless, but I do feel that Taiwanese manufacturers give me more buyer confidence.

The entire tool, including the blade, is made by Multitasker in China (for Emerson Knives).

I have no issue with people not liking the tool based on the country of origin.

Last edited:
Closeup shot (iPhone) showing how the pry tool/wrench nests along a cutout in one of the G10 scales. The wrench is cut using wire-EDM, the G10 scale is inletted using CNC.

5931414aaaab11e28e7522000a1fbe50_7.jpg

LoL yeah the pics really help make me want one. Hopefully these will be in production for a while...need time to save money...maybe LE G10 colors will be made by the time I can afford one *hint!*

Honestly, I may pick one of these up. I have a Leatherman Tti which is nice and all, but there are infinite grind lines, uneven bevels, etc. as well as play on the un-adjustable pivots which turns me off from it. I held the EDC-1 today and not knowing of it's Chinese production it seemed to be very high-quality, and the origin doesn't bother me.

Mine came two days early! This thing is an absolute tank. It isn't just a black SAK, I'll actually want to use the blade on this one. The scale also happens to have the best texture I've ever felt on g10.

EDC_1.jpg

Mine came two days early! This thing is an absolute tank. It isn't just a black SAK, I'll actually want to use the blade on this one. The scale also happens to have the best texture I've ever felt on g10.

Glad you like it. Mr. Emerson and I thought long and hard about what would make a distinctive multitool offering, so we settled on a KNIFE-CENTRIC design.

Here's a shot of the gator wrench in action

485354_493838314016235_2022257989_n.jpg

The whole China-made does not put me off, and i hate being the one breaking it to you, but "Made in the US" does not equal flawless build and excellent fit & finish. Ive got US-made ZT's, BM's and Spydercos that are proof of that :rolleyes:
I have to break it to you...no one said U.S. products all have flawless build and excellent fit an finish. The knife itself, being created by Americans with American parts is what makes it special. Like a great 1873 Colt SAA or a 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang. Not the best gun or car ever made but both are American Classics. I bought a Benchmade 42 for $112 in 2001. Recently sold it for $300 used. Show me a used china made knife that will triple in value in a decade.

Look, I resisted answering in this thread for a long time, but the comparison between the price dynamics of a Benchmade 42 and a Multitasker tool doesn't make any sense. To make such a statement would mean that you do not truly understand the market of the item that you have bought and sold. By that sense, should I make a comparison between the iPhone and the Multitasker because they are both made in China and have a high MSRP? I just paid 300 dollars for a pair of Sennheisers that were designed in Germany, but made in China. The audio quality and personal satisifaction is higher than any other headphone purchase that I've ever made Go big, or go home, someone I know taught me that.

What I'm trying to say is, the social stigma of "Made in China" doesn't apply when you find trustworthy manufacturers, suppliers, and designers. I support Multitasker not only because of their products, but I trust that the owner isn't out to screw us by searching for a cheaper alternative and passing it off as an expensive item. While I have zip interest in the EDC Multitool, I'm highly looking forward to the new Series 3.

I think people here misunderstand that it's not like the Chinese are one entity that put out product. There are incredibly high-quality, sophisticated factories in China that specialize in very precise, very high-tech manufacturing processes like this, and there are also factories that put out junk. Just because something is made in a country does not mean that it's made by the same person in the same factory in the same city by the same process. I'm pretty sure the people who are so vehemently anti-Chinese are thinly veiled xenophobes.

I think people here misunderstand that it's not like the Chinese are one entity that put out product. There are incredibly high-quality, sophisticated factories in China that specialize in very precise, very high-tech manufacturing processes like this, and there are also factories that put out junk. Just because something is made in a country does not mean that it's made by the same person in the same factory in the same city by the same process. I'm pretty sure the people who are so vehemently anti-Chinese are thinly veiled xenophobes.

Markn, quit trying to confuse the issue with facts. ;)

It appears to me that you have two established US companies, employing US citizens. One of those companies also benefits some Chinese citizens - deal with it. I have every reason to believe that the Emerson multitool is the one that I have been waiting for, intelligently designed and precision manufactured. As for the $185 list price for a precision tool, the Snap-On 1/2" ratchet below has a catalog price of $188.

SHF80A_zpse206dab8.jpg

I'm guilty as charged. I'm an Emerson fan.

Your killing me with the pictures. It looks really well done. I have made an effort to support American manufacturers, even more so during this recession and manic depressive economy. Emerson has also licensed to Fox knives of Italy. They are fairly decent as well. In light of my faith in Emerson products, I have little doubt as to the "tank" quality.

Will I try it out? I'll probably take one up to the mountains for Wilderness Survival Merit Badge and let the "scouts" test it. When I do, I'll post the results.

Markn, quit trying to confuse the issue with facts. ;)

It appears to me that you have two established US companies, employing US citizens. One of those companies also benefits some Chinese citizens - deal with it. I have every reason to believe that the Emerson multitool is the one that I have been waiting for, intelligently designed and precision manufactured. As for the $185 list price for a precision tool, the Snap-On 1/2" ratchet below has a catalog price of $188.

SHF80A_zpse206dab8.jpg
Not all of thier stuff is us made anymore. Some stuff doesnt say anything on it anymore. I have some adjustable wrenches that say made in sweden.

Back