New great "Navy" brand Knife - is it a copy of a Spyderco? See Pic.

I just got this "navy" brand knife for $9.07 with shipping from Hong Kong off the big auction site:
!BooryP!!mk~$(KGrHqIOKiIEuZuSf,k9BLoN3-(4Rg~~_12.JPG
it is really one of the sharpest knives out of the box I have ever bought, including fallknivens, spydercos etc. Absolutely no blade-play, but the opening action is a little stiff. A great deal. I'll try to report how it handles some use.

One thing to remember is, don't order around the Chinese New Year - took a while to get my knife.

Is this a copy of a spyderco knife? It has a framelock.

Last edited:
I've handled one of those.

Very solid. It's a pounder.

Can't go wrong for the price.

Congrats!

The Navy brand has many Spyderco copies, some are unique knives that just share features with Spydies, and some are direct copies. They are the brand that put out a compression lock and magnetic lock in their copies/knives. I've heard some great opinions on some of them, just can't figure out where I stand with the ethics of the company. I hope you enjoy your knife it looks very handy, digging the shackle key.

Yeah, I've seen NAVY knives that were almost exact copies of a delica. I suspect ethics probably aren't mentioned in their mission statement.

I know they make copies, especially the clone of the military, but is this knife a clone?

Interesting looking.

Is that knife a flipper ? Yea , they joinked the Spyder-hole right offa Spyderco. :D

Tostig

"Navy" Brand is the same as San Ren Mu, is it not?

As far as being a knock-off, yes and no. It's not a copy of any Spyderco knife, but the round hole is a Spyderco trademark. Using a round hole without permission is tantamount to putting a "swoosh" on a shoe that's not a Nike, or shaping your cola like a Coke bottle, but it's not Coca-Cola.

SRM, like so many Chinese manufacturers, has no scruples whatsoever when it comes to knocking off / counterfeiting products, be it knives, handbags, shoes, watches, whatever. That said, they seem to have a good reputation of making quality knives (for the money), much moreso than other counterfeiters like Maxam or M-Tech, which are dangerous to use because of the poor quality. It's up to you whether or not to support such a company.

"Navy" Brand is the same as San Ren Mu, is it not?

As far as being a knock-off, yes and no. It's not a copy of any Spyderco knife, but the round hole is a Spyderco trademark. Using a round hole without permission is tantamount to putting a "swoosh" on a shoe that's not a Nike, or shaping your cola like a Coke bottle, but it's not Coca-Cola.

SRM, like so many Chinese manufacturers, has no scruples whatsoever when it comes to knocking off / counterfeiting products, be it knives, handbags, shoes, watches, whatever. That said, they seem to have a good reputation of making quality knives (for the money), much moreso than other counterfeiters like Maxam or M-Tech, which are dangerous to use because of the poor quality. It's up to you whether or not to support such a company.

It's a hole drilled in a knife... does someone get paid every time a thumb stud is put on a knife, or a flipper? nail nick?

Who cares :D

It's a hole drilled in a knife... does someone get paid every time a thumb stud is put on a knife, or a flipper? nail nick?

None of those things are registered trademarks. The round opening hole is. This company is using the registered trademark of another company to cash in on that other company's brand recognition without permission or even acknowledging the trademark holder. And I care, just so you know.

The issue about copying always pops up when these chinese companies are mentioned. Some are copies (exact), some are similar, some are their oen design. Choose & buy what you like.

One thing is not: counterfeiting. None of these pretends to be substitute of the original (in case of copy) in any way. They put their own brand.

:thumbdn::thumbdn:

None of those things are registered trademarks. The round opening hole is. This company is using the registered trademark of another company to cash in on that other company's brand recognition without permission or even acknowledging the trademark holder. And I care, just so you know.

I also care for the reasons yablanowitz stated.

Back