1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

New great "Navy" brand Knife - is it a copy of a Spyderco? See Pic.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by scotchleaf, Feb 16, 2011.

1. risen

risen Banned BANNED

Sep 18, 2010
    For that, I am truly grateful. I'll be sure to return the favor. Hey, I'm here to help "people" like you anyway I can. ;)

2. Sevorius

Sevorius

Dec 28, 2007
    Although I cannot confirm it in any way, I suspect that Sanrenmu is Spyderco's Chinese manufacturer. The fasteners and stop pins on my Tenacious, and Sanrenmu 710 are identical, even down to the machining marks. At the very least their torx screws, pivots, and stop pins come from the same factory if my observations are correct. I suppose it could be a coincidence, but I doubt there are many Chinese manufacturers who could live up to Spyderco's expectations and Sanrenmu would have to be on a very short list of those who could.

3. cali

cali

Apr 19, 2004
    It looks like cheap Steve Ryan knife.

4. risen

risen Banned BANNED

Sep 18, 2010
    I believe you are correct. I seem to recall Sal confirming this regarding some models, as well, here on BF.

5. scotchleaf

scotchleaf

Oct 23, 2006
    According to the seller:

weight: 4.8oz(137g)
    closed length: 4" (102mm)
    overall length: 7" (178mm)
    blade length: 3" (75mm)
    blade material: 440c
    blade hardness: 56-58HRC
    hand material: stainless steel

I definitely have my doubts about "440c" - I'm sure it is the Chinese equivalent.

6. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

May 25, 2009
    Haha that's what I thought, too!

Although I don't think either company is losing business to this knife. It's not like someone in the market for a $100 knife who wants top notch construction and supersteel is going to buy this instead.

7. risen

risen Banned BANNED

Sep 18, 2010
    Instead, maybe not. However, there have been a few Sebenza owners who've posted here on BF that they have purchased Sanrenmu/Navy, *as well*.

I have $100+ supersteel knives, and I purchase Sanrenmu/Navy, too.

8. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri

May 25, 2009
    I guess I don't understand that. No matter how cheap it is, it's too expensive if I'm never going to use it because I have something else that's better in every way...

9. risen

risen Banned BANNED

Sep 18, 2010
    Well, in my situation, sometimes I prefer carrying/using a much less expensive knife, depending on what's on my itinerary, rather than risk damaging and/or losing a higher end blade.

I'm sure not going to use a $400+ knife just to cut cardboard. You don't need SuperSteel for that.

And, there are other reasons for not showing a high-end knife, at times, imo. It's like flashing an expensive watch in the wrong area, which is why I have watches ranging in value, as well.

10. Sevorius

Sevorius

Dec 28, 2007
    I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I'm not going to take one of my nicer knives that I spent considerable time honing and stropping to hair popping sharp, then use it to cut up nasty old carpet. Nor would I lend one of my nice knives to someone who wants to pry staples out of plywood with it, or cut steel twist ties, etc. My sanrenmu 710 is perfect for those things. The lockup is rock solid, the fit and finish rival $50 knives and if something happens to it then it only cost me $12 shipped.

Don't get me wrong, if money were no object to me I would gladly use my nice knives. But for me, collecting knives is an expensive hobby. I collect the nicer knives, but I typically use the inexpensive ones. My EDC is a Tenacious, and my beater/loaner is a Sanrenmu 710. Both are incredible values IMO.

11. risen

risen Banned BANNED

Sep 18, 2010
    Excellent point.

Just the other day, my nephew came by, saw one of my nicer knives sitting on the cabinet, then asked if he could borrow it. After I gave him a look, he quickly put it back. I reminded him about what happened last time he borrowed a particular knife of mine (a not-so-cheap knife). He nodded.

I tossed him a Sanrenmu 710 and told him he could have it. He got a decent knife at a great value, which he can destroy with no significant financial loss, and I saved my nicer blades from his barbaric hands (love the kid, but he's a brute [I say with pride]).

Everyone's happy. Btw, now his buddies want 710s. Easy.

12. ThePharce

ThePharce

Sep 16, 2010
    If Navy and SRM are indeed the same company, chances are that 'spydie hole' was done with full permission from Spyderco.

13. risen

risen Banned BANNED

Sep 18, 2010
    I believe you may be correct, based on what I recall from the thread I mentioned with Sal's statement/post.

I think the only catch is that the company (Sanrenmu/Navy) not do any sort of mass distribution/distributor deals. If so, then selling to individual consumers who directly place orders to China is probably acceptable (?).

14. MoreToasties

MoreToasties

Jan 13, 2010
    It's a Steve Ryan ripoff. No doubt.

15. A.P.F.

A.P.F.

Mar 3, 2006
    I see your 'don't care' and raise you an 'I do care'. The circular hole in the Navy blade is just poor form and should not be supported.

16. Liveitloud

Liveitloud

Jul 1, 2006
    Agreed. It is theft and I personally won't be involved in an entity that steals other peoples designs. That is just me though. To each their own. More "borrowing" by NAVY.

Look familiar?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. dialex

dialex

Oct 8, 2002
    I really don't know what to say...
    I had a couple of their knives and indeed, the materials and manufacturing quality is outstanding for the price you pay.
    However I see sort of a "manufacturing myopia". I mean, if they already have their own designs (more or less unique indeed, but it's pretty difficult to find something completely unique nowadays without falling into ridiculous), it would be soo easy to reshape the round hole, giving it a brand new look.
    But I guess I'm too hard on our Chinese friends. I mean, why would they respect the round hole thing, when reputed American companies don't do it? I guess this is the reason they also use the Axis-lock, to make it even...:rolleyes:

18. elkins45

elkins45

Jun 17, 2006
    Those of you who don't care: how about posting your names, addresses and social security numbers? How about letting some of us 'use' them, just like Navy is using Spydercos' registered trademark.

What's that you say...it would be identity theft if we used your identifying characteristics and information to pose as you for the purpose of financial gain? Really? But it's OK for a Chinese manufacturer to do the same with the identifying characteristics of an American knife maker?

Don't think so.

19. flipe8

flipe8

Oct 24, 2005
    I actually really like the look of it and don't doubt the quality based on many users' positive reviews of these knives in general. That being said, it would be nice to see the company design their own knives rather than "borrowing" designs from other companies.

20. ThePharce

ThePharce

Sep 16, 2010
    Again, that factory makes some of the Chinese spydercos. What makes people assume they don't have permission to use those designs? Do you really think spyderco would do business with a company which was blatantly ripping off their designs?!