New job, new work knife! CHALLENGE: It has to be freaking sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comeuppance

Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary
So, I was a little spoiled by my previous job. I could carry a CQC-13 and nobody would blink an eye. Protech Godfather? No problem. Cold Steel Large Espada? Nobody cares.

... But, now I have a much better job in every way but one: I can't carry anything overtly weaponized or intimidating. Neither the customers nor those in the corporate office are too keen on me carrying around a Combat Troodon, or anything of the like.

So, my immediate thought was the Cold Steel Tuff Lite, which I already know I like. I'd like to try something different, though. Frikkies, slipjoints, smaller autos? Maybe a Higo? I dunno. I might even get away with a fixed blade. Boker Krein Bulldog? Spyderco Ronin? I'm paralyzed by the wide array of choices!

I like:
- Straight edges, but I'm not married to them. They're just good for utility work.
- Larger blades.
- Pocket clips. That part is pretty non-negotiable. I'll just set it down and lose it otherwise. I know from experience. I'll never see that Svord Peasant again...
- Autos.
- High-wear-resistance steels.
- Hard plastic sheaths, or really anything I can get a G-Clip or Tek-Loc on.

I don't like:
- Compression locks
- Serrations
- Recurves

I probably shouldn't have:
- Blades longer than 4"
- Overtly weaponized stabby knives [The Godfather has to stay at home :( ]

For now, I've been bringing my Protech TR 4.1. It's the least terrifying knife I own.

I don't know your budget, but I automatically think of

Mnandi, viper dan (friction folder, very wonderful, lionsteel tispine, zt0770cf

All above listed options sound good
Spyderco caly 3/3.5 in zdp-189 and carbon fiber
Spyderco Sage 2
Benchmade 3550 auto pardue
Benchmade 940-1 in s90v and CF
Benchmade Rift, 581 Barrage
ZT 0801
ZT 630
ZT 562
Maybe you need to go back to the Large Sebenza with an inlay or CF scale (I got some wood inlays available, hint hint)
Go back to the Hogue EX01 3.5?

Honestly your not narrowing it down very much. Pretty much 90% of all modern folder fall into your category of under 4" blade with a pocket clip. But its fun to throw suggestions. Maybe narrow down the size a bit would help.

My budget is flexible, but generally caps out at $200. I can always get a used knife, though, if a new one is outside of my price range.

I've considered the viper Dan! I'm also considering the new Boker Texh Tools.

Graham Midtech Razel since you haven't given a budget. ;) Seriously, though, if you can scrape up the cash it strikes me as pretty ideal. I know you dig straight edges, framelocks and such. It ain't big, but it's size and blade profile combine to make it very unknifelike and nonthreatening.

Edit: Oops! Was typing this right as you psoted your budget!

All above listed options sound good
Spyderco caly 3/3.5 in zdp-189 and carbon fiber
Benchmade 3550 auto pardue
Benchmade 940-1 in s90v and CF
Maybe you need to go back to the Large Sebenza with an inlay or CF scale
Go back to the Hogue EX01 3.5?

Honestly your not narrowing it down very much. Pretty much 90% of all modern folder fall into your category of under 4" blade with a pocket clip. But its fun to throw suggestions. Maybe narrow down the size a bit would help.

Size isn't so much of an issue as much as form and function. Something utilitarian that isn't boring. Something larger that isn't threatening.

The Boker Solo in 3V is awfully tempting, honestly. I'm waiting on the newer Hogue autos to come out before I get another one - there's going to be a tip-up 4" EX-04 auto Wharncliffe...

The Caly is a very good suggestion indeed. Hmmm. The 940 is a little too skinny for my tastes, though. An Insingo large Sebenza is also a sort of lost love of mine. Thank you for reminding me of that - I might be able to trick myself into justifying buying one again...

Graham Midtech Razel since you haven't given a budget. ;) Seriously, though, if you can scrape up the cash it strikes me as pretty ideal. I know you dig straight edges, framelocks and such. It ain't big, but it's size and blade profile combine to make it very unknifelike and nonthreatening.

I like this. This is a good suggestion. Yes. No cheap terrifying knives? Fine. I'll carry a REALLY EXPENSIVE super utilitarian knife.

The reason I didn't list a certain price range initially is that my new job pays 25% more than my previous job and has other benefits that decrease my typical expenses considerably. I'm making about 30-40% more, roughly, so I feel like I might splurge on something if it tickles me the right way.

After I pay off the IRS, I mean. >.>

My budget is flexible, but generally caps out at $200. I can always get a used knife, though, if a new one is outside of my price range.

I've considered the viper Dan! I'm also considering the new Boker Texh Tools.

The viper is an outstanding little blade. Your finger locks into place so there's so way for the blade to come down on your finger and there's a 90 degree detent stop thing too. There's a nice (titanium?) backspacer and maybe (titanium?) deep carry Clip too. I know one of them is titanium!

When I think work knife, I think M4 steel and that leads to my Manix 2 in M4, or my Spyderco Bradley folder in M4. A lot of people seem to like the Manix 2 in Cruwear steel.

Protech Magic might be worth a shot. I used one as light duty office knife for awhile.

High quality, hidden release and discreet.

When I think work knife, I think M4 steel and that leads to my Manix 2 in M4, or my Spyderco Bradley folder in M4. A lot of people seem to like the Manix 2 in Cruwear steel.

The 110V Manix is pretty high up on my list of "utility" folders. The value and blade steel is off the charts.

The Gayle Bradley does not fit my hand. At all. Something about it. The revised version is coming out... eventually. I'll have to check it out when it does, because I do love some M4.

I know you like heavy-duty stuff.
You already know about the Techno, or the Slysz Bowie. Both are great knives; may be right for you.

I dunno how non-weapon like a ZT770 CF M4 is, especially with the black blade, but it isn't really stabby at all. I just got mine last week, and it's real nice.

I've been happy with my ZT0450 as an office carry. I swapped the clip to a black ZT0560 low-rider and it's practically invisible when clipped in my front right pocket. Blade to handle ratio is great too.

How about a traditional slipjoint?
Lots of choices for a little to a lot of money.
Rough Rider is a great brand, quite popular over on the traditional forum for a budget traditional.
For an "awsome, sweet, etc" not confuseable with a weapon knife, that stands out from the crowd (as in not everyone and their brother, sister, cousin, uncle, mum, dad, and so on, has one) check out the Rough Rider large sunfish. A great EDC that vanishes in your pocket, even tho it is 4.25 inches closed.

Though its slightly above your $200 range, the Southern Grind Spider Monkey is phenomenal. If you want bigger, go with the Bad Monkey.
You could also look at a used TSF Beast, Brous T4, DPx H.E.S.T.

DPX Hest as mentioned by dufus53 is a great option. Another option that came to mine is the ZT0808. This knife looks somewhat gentlemanly but packs a heck of a punch. I have personally been insanely impressed with the fit, finish and sharpness of this knife. It is a knife I would not be afraid to carry in an office environment, church or for harder task days. Just a thought!

It does not hurt that they are super cool to anodize!
https://flic.kr/p/yH57A1 https://www.flickr.com/photos/57703464@N02/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back