New mass drop knife

Other IG responses indicated there is no red Loctite on the hardware. Is it random knives that received it during the QA process? Or some have more than others? I don't know, but I told them I would be disassembling the knife before sending for review. I'll try to take it apart as if there was no Loctite first, and move to plan B if it appears there is. At this point I know I'm covered, so if I screw up the hardware I move to offer #2!

I've had a similar issue with a WE made knife! i received a knife WE made knife (another colab) that had some serious nasty cement-like loctite on the lower screws (not the pivot). Hearing from others who bought the same knife, no one else seems to have had that problem. it's definitely interesting to find out that it wasn't an isolated instance. someone on the assembly line is pulling out some red loctite to mess with us?? :mad: Or a more reasonable explanation of having the option to use it in production IF something goes wrong? either way, not a good look

The new Massdrop / Ferrum Forge "Gent" is really an incredible deal, especially compared to the Delica I just bought.

For about $10 more than a Delica you get:
- S35VN instead of VG10
- Titanium and G10 handles instead of FRN
- Ball bearing flipper instead of bushings
- Carbidized frame lock

Both knifes are similar in size and weight as well.

It's really a steal and now I'm considering buying a second one.

AI7B9368_copy_20170911124230.jpg

I passed on the first two MD/FF/WE collabs under great distress (especially the Falcon) and was really glad to have waited after hearing about the Gent. It fits my use case the best out of the three. And, since there's a ~4 month wait, I can still pick up other knives I've been eyeing with no guilt (or very little?). I'd even consider having some custom carbon fiber scales made up to replace the G10 overlays and then pit the Gent against something like the ZT 0460CF or 0450CF (which I've also been eyeing).

I’ve had a few days to carry my Falcon and use it for some light cutting tasks. I’m very happy with the knife. Rather than give a review, I figured I’d address some of the issues that others have raised.
  1. Knife Size: This is a bit of a no-brainer. You knew the dimensions when you ordered it. If the knife is smaller than you thought isn't that a "you" problem rather than a knife problem? It is a small knife but the ruler don’t lie.
  2. Inadequate grip: No, the grip isn’t roomy like a Spyderco Delica, but it’s adequate. I have medium hands and don’t have a problem with a four finger grip either in a standard or choil forward position. I think the people who are having the most problem with grip and size are forcing an unnatural position. The heel of the knife has a back slope to accommodate the pinky in a relaxed but non standard grip. If you don’t try to force four fingers along the bottom of the scale most people with up to medium sized hands should be fine.
  3. Fit and Finish is exemplary. Probably better than what I’ve seen on any other $125 knife.
  4. The detent is PERFECT! This knife snaps out like a flipper should. True, it’s not friendly for someone trying to use the finger hole, but I’d rather have that wear in with use and action. FAR better to have a detent too stiff than too soft! If they soften the detent to allow hole deployment, it would only ruin the performance as a flipper.
  5. Bad hardware and Loctite: I haven’t disassembled my knife but I was able to loosen all body hardware and pivot screw with a set of Wiha bits. No problems with threaded screws or Loctite.
  6. Gimping is meaningful and perfect. If it feels too aggressive then you might consider trying to toughen up your hands or prolonged use of any knife might be abrasive.
  7. It doesn’t work left-handed. Well…ummm…all I can say to that is it’s a right handed knife. Try a left handed Kizer Gemini for a few dollars more.
  8. Somewhere earlier I saw this knife contrasted unfavorably to a CH 3504 Mini and I just don’t get it. I own both the knives in question and while the 3504 Mini is a nice knife, the workmanship and finish is nowhere near the quality of the Falcon. The CH is AUS8 steel too. This comparison just makes no sense to me…
  9. Action. My Falcon is a bit tight and doesn’t fall shut. I haven’t disassembled and tried to clean the bearing and races, I might have time for that this weekend. The action could be a tad smoother, but entirely acceptable for a $125 knife and promises to get better in the short time I’ve used it.
If there was anything I’d like to change about the knife is I’d have them mill out the interior of the Ti Slabs. The knife is small and light, but very solid. Those 3.5 ounces exist in a relatively small space. If they could shave out a half ounce or so by internal milling, that would be so sweet. Maybe for Falcon Part Deux?

Again, these are just opinions. YMMV.

Somewhere earlier I saw this knife contrasted unfavorably to a CH 3504 Mini and I just don’t get it. I own both the knives in question and while the 3504 Mini is a nice knife, the workmanship and finish is nowhere near the quality of the Falcon. The CH is AUS8 steel too. This comparison just makes no sense to me

Hackerslash, I've seen your frequent posts in any and all Chinese knives bashing thread, I finally found proof of your secret love for Chinese knives in contradiction to your other claims :p

Hackerslash, I've seen your frequent posts in any and all Chinese knives bashing thread, I finally found proof of your secret love for Chinese knives in contradiction to your other claims :p
You need to dig a little deeper. I'm a big defender of ORIGINAL Chinese knives...and knives from Proxima Centauri for that matter. I was probably the original Kizer fan boy on these fora as well as an early supporter of Reate and WE. What I do hate are the copies, clones and rip offs that seem to (mostly) come from the Far East. I'm actually in the middle of investigating CH Knives to determine if they are truly original offerings or if they clone also. The jury is still out. There's an uncomfortably incriminating Michael Zieba design on the CH Instagram page...

I'm the last person you should call a "Chinese Knife Basher". I am, however, proud to bash clones and copies. I'll wear the title "Clone Knife Basher" with pride! :p

Reactions: AF
I just got my Gent, it's awesome.

I've got all three of these collaborations, and they're some of my favorites.

My gent arrives tomorrow. Did you guys need to sign for the knife? Or did Fedex leave it on the doorstep?

I love keeping an eye one massdrop, have gotten everything from socks and underwear, to spin tops and knives, and always wound up happy with my (educated) purchases, 100%, so long as I researched my purchase in depth before hand.

I do have a problem with this collaboration in particular though. While I'm all for a free market, and the market is free to do what they're gonna do; kizer vs ?:
a Ferrum forge "by WE", creates a conundrum. Is it a ferrum forge at a WE price? Or is it a highend WE charging a Ferrum forge price?

Be American, or be not!
Own your own sh#t, or let someone else own it for a sellout price because you sold out, just STOP funking the funk

Marketing 101, if it can be cheaper made abroad, then so be it, but, when a high end domestic producer is charging an almost equally high end price for a foreign made product under a domestic name, (knowing the transfer rate of cost of production/
demand of the consumer > demand supplier)..

A <$1/hr foreign made knife IS NOT (99%) Worth the same as a $15+/hr "other" made knife of "equal" quality (and marketing)

Period

Back