New Model - Survivor Jr. - What do you think?

Which would you prefer - longer? shorter? original?

• Longer blade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shorter blade

• Original blade length (9")

• Total voters
I dont know much about knives yet, but i would say .210 for thickness. I have a Fehrman in a size similiar and i would a slightly thinner blade in that size would be super. Still take a beating but be lighter and faster. I dont think .266 is needed for that length. but honestly i could be completely wrong.

Looking forward to this.

I can see arguments for both sides. .266 would be a bit of a brute and the grinds not going all the way to the top means a less steep angle - the edge getting thicker with each resharpening. But the extra weight would help with chopping and batoning.

A lighter/thinner blade will slice better and the edge will not "thicken" as quickly with resharpening. Lighter is easier to carry. But we gotta remember that 0.210" is no slouch in steel thickness! It is thick enough for sure.

Dan

The prototype I got coming is 0.250" thick. I'll grind it out and check the feel. If it seems like it would benefit from a thinner stock, then I'll surface grind it down to 0.210 or so.

I could get a better price if I could do this in a quantity of 50 or so. I may do that anyway, regardless of how many are ordered.

Dan

That is an option I am definitely exploring.

Any preferences?

Dan

I have had zero complaints with the durability and toughness of A2.

But I've also had zero complaints with 3V....:p

At this size/thickness....pricing is nearly the same....in fact, sometimes the pricing for A2 is more....?!?

And I can get 3V in 24x36 sheets, while I can get A2 only in 6x36 quarter-sheets.

*shrug*

Dan

Dan

Did you ever get to grind the proto? I think we are all dying to see it. Did you ever decide on A2 or 3V for the run?

How about .266" with a nice hollow grind and a tapered tang?

Price bump! :D

I'm interested especialy in the 3V. However on a blade this size I'd still prefer the .250 thickness.

Yeah, I'm starting to lean that way too.

I have some A2 headed my way - I hope I can get a prototype cut soon!!!

Dan

I'm getting ready to start moving on this model...now that a few others have been wrapped up.

Any last thoughts or suggestions?

Dan

I'm getting ready to start moving on this model...now that a few others have been wrapped up.

Any last thoughts or suggestions?

Dan

Dan, just dropped in and saw this. I see .210 being bandied about, but being number/math retarded, what does that translate to in fractions of an inch? For a knife this size, I would lean towards 3/16ths, myself, and A2 would be fine with me. Do you have a projected cost on this model?

Andy

Price depends a lot on steel thickness and type.

I can get A2 in 3/16" (0.188") or 1/4" (0.250")
I can get 3V in 0.210" or 0.276"

Here's an updated drawing:

attachment.php

Back