New Models from Spyderco

Sal Glesser

We were successful (we think) in limited the photos taken of the new designs. This should prevent some future problems with too early of mention. We were also successful in not saying too much before showing (read; Sal finally kept his mouth shut). But now that we know more about future plans, I get to open my mouth, at least a little.

The "Native Chief" was very well received. I think the best way to describe it would be to say that a Native mated with a Renegade and the Chief is the synthesis. I believe Michelle could be pursuaded to give the "Go ahead" on a batch? (She is also a knife collector and she likes it, this helps).

We were thinking perhaps to use a colored G-10 instead of black. Should Michelle decide to test a batch, what color (or black) would the astute ELU prefer?

I will try to get photos of these models on line. I know there are a few digital cameras around the office. Perhaps Danelle can assist? If not, we'll shoot them out to James (he is very efficient at making these photos appear).

The Ulu is very difficult to describe. It is a new concept (there was nothing in the field in the patent search). Imagine a wide knife handle. The knife blade extends (slides) sideways out of the handle edge first and locks in a partial and full opening of the blade. It is an auto in that it retracts automatically and remains closed and locked in the pocket. It is not tip up or down, but "edge back". We plan to produce a smaller one than was shown at the Blade Show. The blade is only 3/4" long, but it has a 4" cutting edge. Go figure?

We've decided to go ahead and produce the Credit card model, currently dubbed the "SpyderCard", but we're open to any great names. In the folded position, it is the same size as a credit card. It's a little over 1/8" thick. When opened the cutting edge of the blade is 2-3/8" with an overall blade length of 2-3/4". It would be considered a light duty linerlock (although we haven't tested lock strength yet, it is very thin).

We expect to deliver the "SpyderCard" in Oct, the Ulu in the spring of Y2K. The "Chief", if made, could probably be sceduled for around Christmas or just after the beginning of the year.

The Tie Clipit also received nice response, but I haven't heard plans yet.

Opinions requested?

sal

I've only seen black and blue CF. I would vote for blue. Burundy, light grey and light green would probably look nice also. I can't really visulize a Native/Renegade hybrid. Does it have the Native blade? Will the credit cards come in colors?

I vote for Blue G10 on the "Chief" (must be named after me
smile.gif
. I think a great name for the credit card knife would be "Spydette" as it is so small in stature.

The Native Chief in Burgundy might be nice. IMO, I don't think it is a blue knife. I liked the SpyderCard. I think that would be a good name to keep.

What about some of the concept ideas you displayed. Did you receive enough feed back to possibly take them to the next step? There were a couple that I would love to see put into production!

[This message has been edited by Dirk (edited 15 June 1999).]

Me for a burgundy Chief. It would be very sweet.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

I must have been the only one who didn't like the Chief, but thats just me. The Spydie Ulu was cool, but seems limited in use to me. Also the SpyderCard was interesting, but also another limited use knife. Don't get me wrong I have a few limited use knives, but I thought Spyderco was trying to reduce inventory.

Blades

I would like to see the chief in burgundy micarta or blue G-10.Didn't you have something in the case in burgundy?
What exactly is the credit card designed for?
If it was self defense, I would call it the "Pocket Protector". What can I say I am still recovering from the show. I will keep on trying.

Bobby

[This message has been edited by Knifeslinger (edited 15 June 1999).]

Thanx for taking the time to provide input. It will probably be easier after some pics are posted.

Don't know about colors on the SpyderCard. It is made of steel. Steel is pretty hard to color effectively.

Dirk - like what?

Blades - the Chief will depend on the ELU response. "One time" test batches usually come in a go out quickly. follow up tells us if the demand is there for more. We don't have the costs of promotion, catalogue photos, magazine ads, etc.

The Ulu is a limited market, we think. however, until we make some and get them out there, it's hard to tell for sure. Lotta guys (& girls) out threr cut a lotta boxes. It is a "safety Knife" in that one cannot "stab" with it. It is polically correct even in the future.

SpyderCard is planned at $39.95 retail. Plenty of room for engraving. We anticipate a fast curve up and then down when the novelty wears. Then it will serve for the premium market for some time. (we guess??).

It is also the only knife (outside of a Ladybug) that I have been able to take anywhere.
sal

Sal, The Chief in any color but black! I'll have to see a photo of the Ulu, sounds different... SpydieCard? Sure, why not!

Sal - I liked the Lum Chinese Folders and The Martial Folder by Keating. My memory is fuzzy, but is the Chinook similar to the Keating?

If you decide not to go with the concept knives I just mentioned, I would be willing to pay a nice price for them.
wink.gif

Sal,

Which colors are most feasible for the Native Chief scales? Personally, I think that burgundy, green, or grey sound pretty good. Not blue - the BF Native would lose some of its uniqueness.

Also, anybody get any pics of the ulu? It sounds really interesting, but I can't quite picture it in my head.

------------------
JP Bullivant

[This message has been edited by jpbulli (edited 16 June 1999).]

Burgundy indeed. But pleeze with a textured surface on CF or micarta! Was there a pic of the Chief Native on past threads?

Bill Boyd: yes they will be available in gold or platinum.
smile.gif

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

I like the card idea, the name Spydercard sounds good to me. I have one that Tekna made, this sounds even better.
Dane

Hmmm... I'd just like a nice gray. I guess that's what you'd expect from someone who's never really sick of black handles (though I am sick of G-10...)

Burgundy does sound nice, or a blue that was darker than the BF Native. Maybe a good hunter green... yeah, I like that one. Definitely not any sort or brown or tan, IMO.

Please send me a "Chief" for immediate testing. I will subject it to corrosion (drool), shock (mine, not the knife's), and edge-holding tests (How much hair can it shave off my arm before it gets dull?) I'm so excited by this idea - I've loved the Native for a long time (silly false edge and all) but don't generally carry a folder under 3.5" since I got my Leatherman Wave (sad, eh?).

I actually like "Spydercard." It's everywhere you want to be?

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

Sal,
Ohhhh my! Native Chief. Great idea!!!!!
Almost any color except BLACK! would be ok with me.

Don't forget the Tie Clipit!!!!!

I started the campaign for it, and I'm willing to see it through.
I will be posting reminders (i.e. I will be buggering you) until I can wear a tie in style!

Costas

YEA, BABY!!! The CHIEF is coming.
smile.gif

I agree with Burgundy or Green to differentiate from the BF Native.

I think Sal is saying a "cross with a renegade" because the swedge is more drawn out giving the blade of the Chief a more stretched look. The Chief blade looks a bit menacing (as it should perhaps...
wink.gif
)

sing

My vote for either burgundy or a deep forest green. (We already have the BF Native in blue.) Anything but black or orange!

Back