New Models from Spyderco

StJames - what a bizarre train of thought. You presume that you alone possess the moral high ground, and therefore anyone who disagrees with you is either ignorant or barbaric. The difference in your advocacy and the view of most freedom loving Americans is that they don't feel compelled to silence you, as you appear to inist on silencing them. If you don't like a product name, don't buy it. But, an attack on free speech, thinly veiled by sanctimony isn't going to fool very many of us.

Jack

Jack, you seem to have read an awful lot into my posts that were never intended. I have staked no “high ground”, nor accused anyone of barbarity (except when referring to the practice of scalping, not a civilized act by any standards) or idiocy. I have attacked no ones free speech or right to do business any way they please. I expressed a concern that a major company in an industry that I have an interest in was considering perpetuating a mindset common in this country: that it is all right for this one ethnic group to be used as a form of “mascot”. I find it personally offensive, but if you disagree, that is of course your right to do so. I would not imagine trying to stifle a free exchange of ideas, and all of my subsequent posts on this thread have been an attempt to clarify my viewpoint, not force others into silence. I do not feel that I have been sanctimonious in any way, I was posed direct questions about my opinions, and tried to explain myself as best I could. A civil and open exchange of ideas and viewpoints. I am sorry that you don’t see it that way.

------------------
James

For $39.99 I'll take a Spydie Card!! Thats not as much as I thought it was going to be. Cool.
The Ulu I'm still not sure about. I like the idea of the knife, but its just a matter of getting other people besides knife people to buy it. Stamp UPS or FED EX on it and you might sell a bunch. No telling. I'll just wait for the Chinese Folder and the Shaibara. The "Chief" just seems like a G-10 Police to me. A size you already have. The Calypso seems to be in that group also. But of course that is just what I think, and I have been wrong about a few things in my time.

Blades

Sal, back on topic. Any delivery time on the large Dyad?

Thanks.

------------------
James

Sal, great grind lines on the Native. Will the "Chief" be the same grind? If so, I'll take one and put it on my SpyderExpress Card!

"The knife formerly known as Chief" is very like a Native that's been stretched an inch at both ends. The specimen in the case at the Blade Show had a G10 handle. No pictures - the Spyderco folks were friendly but firm.
wink.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

"NATIVE"

That's an inch on both ends.

------
Life is a comedy to those that think,
a tragedy to those that feel.

Sal, way back when, I asked about the length of the blades on the new Dyad and you indicated thet they would exceed 3". Is this still so? I had said that my arthritic hands have difficulty with the Mini Dyad and had hoped that the new one would be larger, but under 3" for legal reasons. You replied that I might be able to have the engineering shop modify one to meet the law. If the blades are still over 3", does the offer still stand?

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

Oh please, OH PLEASE! Build "The Chief", PUH-LEEEEEEZE. Any color.

And, how 'bout Zydeco for the "new Calypso Jr. Lightweight"
wink.gif
redface.gif
?

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

Sal,

I think a deep burgundy ar a hunter green handle on the Chief would be great!

CPR

Hugh - Yes, the offer still stands. We have also enlarged the opening holes in the Dyad Jr. to 10 mm. You might find that easier.
sal

I seem to be getting lost in all of the other questions.

What is the status of the Martial Folder/ Chinook?

Sal -- I really would like to comment about your new knives (protos, concepts, and whathaveyous) but without pics I feel like one of the blind men describing an elephant ...

James Mattis - You seem to be quite adept at getting photos to the forum. If I were to send the protos to you, would you be so kind as to shoot and post them and return them to our office so our sales and marketing staff can work with them?
sal

I see all these postings relating to scale color and I'm not sure what to think about it. I've got a Wegner jr. and the utilitarian black against stainless has such a business-like appearance that it's difficult for me to quarrel with it. I frankly, love that look and it's hard to envision anything else.

However, Bill Bryant made a fillet knife for me with burgundy scales, and I admit it looks terrific. I guess when it comes to folders (and tacticals) I haven't developed sufficient esthetic sensabilities. Doing it to a fish with colors seems more appropriate than doing it to something else with colors, if you get my meaning. It's like my Glock. It's kind of plain and even ugly but that's acceptable, or even appropriate, because it's beauty is found in its purpose and utility.

Speaking of purpose - I've been so busy with my business I haven't had a chance to catch a fish for processing. Bryant's creation is waiting on the shelf for its first customer. I need to get on that!

All in all, I think I'd prefer black scales on the Chief. A matter of taste.

Jack

We would be happy to do the pics for you Sal if James is not up to the task. By having the pics on this server they will load faster so either way we will be happy to do it. James if you get the pics send them to me via email and I will load them on our server.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

I'm always glad to fondle knife prototypes and take their pictures!
biggrin.gif

If I get the knives early this week, I can scan and/or photograph them. Amateur work - I ain't Jim Weyer!!! The scanner gives better resolution, and the digital camera is more flexible. I can then e-mail the images back to Sal and/or BladeForums. I can also post them on my web page server.

I'll be on the road again for several days surrounding July 4 weekend.

Back