New Puget Sound patterns

I don’t find many Puget Sound axes even though I’m not far from where they were used.

This has maybe been discussed but does the term “Puget Sound” axe kind of cover several different elongated patterns? Say, like “Maine axes” encompasses many patterns but also refers to regional makers and overall build styles?

Falling, narrow, Young’s, older Granfors DB falling is quite elongated compared to their DB, PNW, etc.

In older catalogs I see different styles and bit lengths of swamping axes kind of grouped together with them for sale. Some of the old photos of huge trees being taken show guys in the same crew using the long thin ones but also some with much more flared bits than what I think of a “Puget Sound” axe but still on 40”+ handles. Just curious.

I’m glad this thread was brought back up:thumbsup:
I think Young's and Redwood is the same pattern and that they were falling axes with more flare to the heel and toe. I am not familiar with GB's falling (picture?) I have seen a bunch of their swampers. I think True Temper dropped the toe on theirs making the bit a little wider but kept it straight from toe to toe. I have seen more Sager Chemicals in the Puget sound than any other, with True Tempers a distant second. Most have been road pretty hard and put away wet.:(
I guess a fair question would be if True Tempers later faller is a Puget Sound? I don't know.

est1jk.jpg

1 1/4 pound head, 15 inch handle, and the head is loose. About 1/8" of movement up and down.

The top of the eye is covered with some synthetic adhesive:

2d6wprn.jpg

I've searched the forum to see how other people have dealt with this stuff in the past and there seems to be no easy way to removed it, especially if you want to save the handle. Is there a way to secure the head without removing it? Glue of some kind?

The head is marked 0.6 1 1/4 on one side and "Made in Sweden" on the other:

2nl4ih3.jpg

b3x72e.jpg

The made in Sweden and blue paint are similar to another head I inquired about on the forum and was told it might be a gransfors from the late 70s or 80s.

Looks very similar to the "camping" axe in this advertisement (which also has a 1 1/4lb option) circa 1980:

rtqo8n.jpg

Thanks.

G garry3 , I guess I was thinking of the GBA in this one:
rtqo8n.jpg

Do you still have that last one SQ, if so can you see any marks that line up with those on the opposite side?

The only one of those I have left is the one I hung and used in the video. I also have a really nice TT FE PSFA that I bought from the estate of a local Forest Service employee. Might be a couple others in the piles somewhere....

This has maybe been discussed but does the term “Puget Sound” axe kind of cover several different elongated patterns?

Not that I know of. The only axe I consider related is the undercutter which has a PSFA bit on one side paired with heavy duty adze on the other side. The swampers, Humboltds, reversibles, peelings, westerns and other popular NW logger axes don't have the long the bits of a PSFA.

I think Young's and Redwood is the same pattern and that they were falling axes with more flare to the heel and toe. I am not familiar with GB's falling (picture?) I have seen a bunch of their swampers. I think True Temper dropped the toe on theirs making the bit a little wider but kept it straight from toe to toe. I have seen more Sager Chemicals in the Puget sound than any other, with True Tempers a distant second. Most have been road pretty hard and put away wet.:(
I guess a fair question would be if True Tempers later faller is a Puget Sound? I don't know.

55460008-2309175159372306-2457226244027056128-n.jpg

I see what you are saying there Garry.

Back