New Rules for the Exchange forum - Feedback thread.

The people who are bumping continuously are cracking me up.

Folks who are doing this, you need to understand - the Exchange forums are all set now to have the default thread display ordered by thread start time. 100% of all people coming into the forum are going to see the threads sorted in that order. They will only see your bumps if they decide to sort by last post, something 99.9999% will not do, and will not matter the second they leave the forum and go to another subforum (or if they leave and come back).

You are wasting your time bumping at all, unless you are price dropping.

If people start abusing the relisting rules, we'll reinstate the 2 posts on page 1, 4 in the first 4 rule. We may do that anyhow. As it is, it looks like the busiest forums are having threads get pushed back one page per day or so. Search still works and is available to everyone, so people looking for what you are selling will find it.

All in all, I think this switchover is a success. The mods have much less work now. Rules are more relaxed. Stuff is much more likely to be seen on the first few days you list it, which means an increased chance of selling during those times. I'm pretty pleased.

Yeah it's much nicer now and isn't cluttered up, at least in the Individual/Sales section which I like to browse. Good work guys.

If people start abusing the relisting rules, we'll reinstate the 2 posts on page 1, 4 in the first 4 rule. We may do that anyhow. As it is, it looks like the busiest forums are having threads get pushed back one page per day or so. Search still works and is available to everyone, so people looking for what you are selling will find it.
I kinda feel this might be the way to go. Instead of having the mods check edit history to make sure people aren't deleting and relisting knives in new threads in under two weeks, just check the first four pages for how many threads they have, period, no matter what content is in them or whether or not they are open.

Not only that, but if the busy forums are pushing threads back a page per day, you can relist in about 4 days. Who should really complain about that when you were waiting 72 hours to bump, and other threads were getting bumped ahead of yours by allowable buyer inquiries?

I'm saying if they change the rule for this new default format to focus on how many threads you have on the first few pages, not when the last time you listed the knife. If they keep both, then people will keep four threads on the first four pages, and they will delete knives from old threads and repost them instead of waiting two weeks anyway.

An issue now is that you have unlimited thread creation rights, but are supposed to wait two weeks to relist. To get around it, people are deleting the less than two week old ad, thinking they can then get away with a new listing. Mods and users are looking for one infraction right there, and then mods have to check the post history to see if this is happening. If they then add a rule to limit number of threads on the first four pages, that adds something else everyone has to check for. That doesn't simplify the matter. We're only five days in, what kind of issues are there going to be with ten day old ads getting removed from their original threads and getting relisted on new ones?

Instead, they could say you can't have the knife listed more than once on the first four pages, and you can have only four threads on the first four pages, with two of those being on the first page. Then the mods can focus on four pages, or 100 threads, instead of two weeks' worth.

I'm probably missing a key detail though.

Better yet, only allow ONE for sale thread to be posted in each sub-forum every two weeks.

Each member is only allowed to edit items in and out of that thread and close it when all items are gone.

There are individuals that are already posting several threads with only one or two items. A few are deleting unsold items and then re-posting them in a new thread in violation of the two week rule.

It will not be long before someone gets the bright idea to monopolize the entire front page of a sub-forum with their threads. You would only need 25 items.

No, you cannot re-list it for two weeks, according to the rules.

I'm not arguing with you and frankly the rule doesn't bother me as I consider the knife maker membership but....where is the rule listed that states you have to wait 2 weeks? The modified rules I see don't mention this.

Both links from Esav have the same modified strikethroughs and addendum's but no 2 week rule.

I also thought the point was to streamline the exchange but most of the current posts are kudos posts not inquiry posts.

I'm not arguing with you and frankly the rule doesn't bother me as I consider the knife maker membership but....where is the rule listed that states you have to wait 2 weeks? The modified rules I see don't mention this.

Both links from Esav have the same modified strikethroughs and addendum's but no 2 week rule.

I also thought the point was to streamline the exchange but most of the current posts are kudos posts not inquiry posts.

Read the sentences at the top of the thread:

Spark said:
11/15 Update: Based on feedback in the feedback thread, we're trying a new format for the Exchange forums - we're sorting threads by Thread Started time instead of Last Post time. What does this mean? Threads are no longer going to be affected by bumping or replies - threads will still show up in the order that they were created.

If you prefer to sort threads by the time that the last post was made, you can, just select the option at the bottom of each forum screen.

Since we're testing this new ordering format, we're going to temporarily suspend the rules on bumping, posting replies or questions to threads, sellers replying and other similar previously applicable rules.

In addition, the "2 posts on page 1, and 4 on the first 4 pages" rule is going to be temporarily suspended. During this time of testing, you are not allowed to repost the same knife for sale for 2 weeks (14 days) from the time it was originally posted.

Better yet, only allow ONE for sale thread to be posted in each sub-forum every two weeks.

Each member is only allowed to edit items in and out of that thread and close it when all items are gone.

There are individuals that are already posting several threads with only one or two items. A few are deleting unsold items and then re-posting them in a new thread in violation of the two week rule.

It will not be long before someone gets the bright idea to monopolize the entire front page of a sub-forum with their threads. You would only need 25 items.

when you see that person then send him down the road on a one way ticket and tell him dont bother coming back.

It seems like the number of threads by an individual seller is going to have to be limited, as some folks have already found a way to skirt the spirit of the 2 week rule, if not blatantly breaking the rule itself.

Example 1: (Egregious violation)
Yesterday I offered x,y,z knives for sale. X and y sell quickly, so I close the thread, and open another one today with just Z in it, taking it to the top.

Example 2: (Borderline violation)
A couple of days ago I offer knife Z for sale. As of today, it is on page 3 and still has not sold, so I close the thread and open a new thread where I list knife Z, as well as knife A and B. In my Z thread, I explain that I am closing it to move knife Z to my "consolidated thread." (Rinse, repeat)

Example 3: (NOT a violation at this time. [already discussed somewhat])
Each day, I list one or 2 knives in a new thread. Soon, I have 4+ threads in the first 2 pages, 6+ in the first 3 pages, and so on.

If people start abusing the relisting rules, we'll reinstate the 2 posts on page 1, 4 in the first 4 rule. We may do that anyhow.
I think that would be wise for some of the busier subforums of The Exchange (such as FSBI: Production), but certainly not for all of them. Going back four pages on, say, the Knifemaker's Custom > Fixed Blades (hardly the slowest subforum) takes you back two weeks. That's great for the "no reposting of the same knife" rule, but terrible for "no more than X posts per X pages."

Personally, I would say reserve this rule for the busiest, hardest to police subforums.

Alternatively, the X threads per X pages could be a subforum-specific rule which could be referred to in a sticky at the top of every subforum. It would complicate the system a bit, but be much more fair to the slow movers.

I can't support that. People don't open threads and read them, they scan thread titles for the knives they like. You can't get much exposure for your knife if you can't even list it in the title. It's the same problem as having your thread title on pages 3 or 4 that nobody goes to, but worse

I don't know if this would be helpful in the long run, but the knifemaker's sale area is split by folder and fixed. If the same were done for the FSBI section, at least production, that would further segregate the threads in a logical manner, and reduce possible/actual bumps or relistings as a whole for each sub-forum.

I just got a PM from a member warning me about having the same knife up in the sell forum and in the trade forum.Is this against the rules?If so what do I do?List it in the sell forum as FSOT?

Section 3.1.8. All ads should be placed in ONE appropriate forum. NO CROSS POSTING OF ADS IN MULTIPLE FORUMS.

Yes, list it only in the sale forum, as FSOT.

I just got a PM from a member warning me about having the same knife up in the sell forum and in the trade forum.Is this against the rules?If so what do I do?List it in the sell forum as FSOT?

I've never heard of that?

It's always been ok to have both :confused:

I like the new format in the knife makers for sale forum. I think it is working much smoother and we can post within the thread without bumping the whole thing to the top. Thanks

Yeah,I always thought you were suppose to list it in both.It is getting very confusing to trade or sell a knife.

It will probably require clarification. The intent of the rule is to prevent people from selling the same knife in multiple separate categories. That it's listed for trade in the trade forum is another thing altogether. That's another thing we'll have to make clear when the rules are finalized.

Back