New Rules for the Exchange forum - Feedback thread.

It will probably require clarification. The intent of the rule is to prevent people from selling the same knife in multiple separate categories. That it's listed for trade in the trade forum is another thing altogether. That's another thing we'll have to make clear when the rules are finalized.

Phew, glad that is good to go :)

'cause if people were posting FSOT all the time it would start to look like JD forums real soon and be impossible to just find something for trade...or sale :p

The people who are bumping continuously are cracking me up.

Folks who are doing this, you need to understand - the Exchange forums are all set now to have the default thread display ordered by thread start time. 100% of all people coming into the forum are going to see the threads sorted in that order. They will only see your bumps if they decide to sort by last post, something 99.9999% will not do, and will not matter the second they leave the forum and go to another subforum (or if they leave and come back).

You are wasting your time bumping at all, unless you are price dropping.

If people start abusing the relisting rules, we'll reinstate the 2 posts on page 1, 4 in the first 4 rule. We may do that anyhow. As it is, it looks like the busiest forums are having threads get pushed back one page per day or so. Search still works and is available to everyone, so people looking for what you are selling will find it.

All in all, I think this switchover is a success. The mods have much less work now. Rules are more relaxed. Stuff is much more likely to be seen on the first few days you list it, which means an increased chance of selling during those times. I'm pretty pleased.

I have read as much as I can. I know change is always hard and your job isnt easy, but I will say that I agree with those that dont like the change.

Now, the sales forums are the exact opposite of every other forum here and that I know of or at least participate. Every forum here is based off of real time post. Not day/week old news. :thumbdn:

So, if someone wants to give their collection away you will never even know if its not listed that way originally without going and re-reading everything you've already read about it without changing the format and as you stated and 99.99% wont ... and so some are dropping prices to get a bump that doesnt even help.

I dont find it amusing in the least for anyone here to be having difficulty selling knives. Thats just bad for everyone. Period.

I was writing early before dropping son of on bus, and didnt finish the thought....

I am not being negative, and wanted to state publicy. I greatly appreciate what you, and your staff have done to create a wonderful place. I am just doing as many have done, and thats share my idea,suggestion/opinion in a constructive manner. Thats the intent anyway.

THe true negative is that you now have just a classified listing when before it was truly an interactive live marketplace.THe rest of the forums are all live, and interactive which is what drives the traffic.

The old system might have needed a tweak here or there, but it was live. The new system on the other hand is not interactive at all. Atleast, not to 99.99% and thats what counts.

Yes, a live system will have more moderating, but that is the price of it being live. Its done this way on every page you have except the sales forums and this is why it is so bad. THis is the very reason the 99.99% wont change the tab because they potentially have no idea of doing so in the first place.

Maybe, having Busse mods on the Busse exchange might help you alleviate this in one of your largest exchanges altogther? I don't know though cause Mike G and Glockman do one heck of a job IMO on that exchange, but this would potentially give you two of the best to assist in other forums.

Maybe, give the dealers their own individual forum just like some of the knifemakers here that buy theirs for three years. I believe we pay more for a year than they pay for three. THis would give a dealer his own forum where he can discuss all sorts of issues and have fun and buyers can interact whereas right now we a fairly restricted to where, and its so fragmented.

Just a thought, you can decide if its any good or not.

In the end its your house, and your rules and I will live with em as will the rest.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Last edited:
Every rule implemented has been to remove this 'live'-ness you are referencing. Use email/PMs/visitor messages to ask questions instead of posting. Edit the original post instead of adding a new post for added information or changes. No bumping for three full days.

It is pretty clear that the exchanges are not intended to function like the other subs. All threads are to be given equal weight, unlike the 'interactive' boards where the most interesting and most popular are pegged to the first page by traffic. Now, people can ask questions and replies can be posted without bias against other new listings.

Hey Spark, since we're changing things up can we re-name the trade forum section as "Bartertown" like on Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome :D

I don't know if that exists anywhere else on the interwebs so I hope it's not taken (I only frequent BFC).

Every rule implemented has been to remove this 'live'-ness you are referencing. Use email/PMs/visitor messages to ask questions instead of posting. Edit the original post instead of adding a new post for added information or changes. No bumping for three full days.

It is pretty clear that the exchanges are not intended to function like the other subs. All threads are to be given equal weight, unlike the 'interactive' boards where the most interesting and most popular are pegged to the first page by traffic. Now, people can ask questions and replies can be posted without bias against other new listings.

Hey Hard heart,

I hear you, but there is no need to even bump after 3 days is there?

The way I read and have perceived it is What good is it? Your post never moves for the 99.99%. Am I missing something? SO, instead of knowing when someone updated... you have to constantly keep checkinig the thread unless they send you a pm/email? I wish you and everyone here a Happy THanksgiving so I am not being smart in asking:thumbup: I am simply looking for your insight. Thank you.

ANd a side note, the way I see it when anyone dropped the price....they bought themselves a bump. THey paid for it .

Maybe the rules on the listing should be set. Example must have OAL, BLADE, thickness, steel handle material, all payment methods, your shipping method everything etc so there are no questions to ask.

Maybe a minimum for a price drop bump? No $5 bumps ?

I am willing to see how it goes, and as Spark requested I have given it a little time. After the first week which is to be expected my impression is that its much slower for sales. I am not one that relied on crazy questions and or bumps, but I did heavily rely on the fact that I had some incredible pieces that were selling that kept me at or close to the top. We shall see what the future holds.

Hopefully it will get better.

Last edited:
What I believe HardHeart was trying to say (and do correct me if I am mistaken) is that, over the years, all of the rules governing The Exchange were put in place to help deal with the "live" nature of this part of the forum.

[...]the way I see it when anyone dropped the price....they bought themselves a bump. THey paid for it .
Personally, I saw it as people wanting to milk every last dollar they could out of a sale. If it didn't sell, no biggy, just drop the price and it goes back to the top for another look. If you were desperate for a sale, you would start lower and drop faster.

...and to be fair, nothing has changed except the time required to pass before you were allowed to do that. Now, as HardHeart explained, the popular threads don't get the free bumps from comments and questions, while the unpopular threads die for lack of them.

Yeah, Fascion, that's what I meant, that the rules governing the exchange had been moving closer to no active info exchange in the thread itself. The listing remains as it is, receiving corrections in the OP, but queries and replies were to be left out of the thread and handled through other means. Very much like just a digital classifieds section.

This was because anything new or extra in a separate post bumped the whole thread to the top when sorted by last post time. As I think everyone has noticed, things have slowed down with thread start time sorting. There was a lot of bumping, so a fresh thread could get lost rather quickly, no matter what the content was. Rules were put in place to limit bumping, but this current default display means you can chat as much as you want (without violating other rules) without taking away the first page from a newer thread. Interested buyers can post & subscribe, and sellers can openly answer queries. Each individual thread is allowed to be much more 'live' this way, while the sub-forum can slow the pace and keep threads in a chronological order.

I would like to see a standard format for listings, but there are some models where little details are important to the collectors, and the current owner might not know them, much less list them.

I don't know about paying for bumps. There have been members who would drop the price more than once in the first day, for multiple listings. This was obviously just to keep the knives on the first page. No matter the rules, some people will try to bend or break them.

I go into an Exchange forum, see what's new, and then, within 5 seconds, I click the New Posts column, and see what's updated.

It's like having TWO GREAT forums for the same thing.

There is no longer such a strident rule on 'chatting'. If I am interested I can read right through the clutter to my needs.

Unless you are spending all the time in the Exchange on a mini 'smartphone' screen it's a no-brainer.

I mean, really, it's ONE CLICK to revert, and less rules.

I'm stumped. :confused:

Coop

Alright gentlemen,

You all make good points. Thank you for your perspective. I do see pros too.

I will sit back and see how it goes. Its just different.

In a sense it is more interactive now. Potential buyers are free to carry on a conversation in a sale thread, ask questions, and make comments.

In a sense it is more interactive now. Potential buyers are free to carry on a conversation in a sale thread, ask questions, and make comments.

Really? Is that true in all the for sale forums now, you can comment and chat?

"During this time of testing, you are not allowed to repost the same knife for sale for 2 weeks (14 days) from the time it was originally posted."

Sadly, this is being ignored regularly by a few folks who either cannot read, or feel the mods won't do anything when they are discovered....

I got to say this.
Sense this new system started I have done about 8 or 9 internet deals.One was from BF.The norm for me is 8 out of 10 being from BF.I am hoping this is just a coincidence.

"During this time of testing, you are not allowed to repost the same knife for sale for 2 weeks (14 days) from the time it was originally posted."

Sadly, this is being ignored regularly by a few folks who either cannot read, or feel the mods won't do anything when they are discovered....
If you (or anyone, for that matter) notice a violation, just click the
report.gif
button, found at the top-right of every post made of these forums. This will alert the mods to the violation so that it can be dealt with as needed.

If you (or anyone, for that matter) notice a violation, just click the
report.gif
button, found at the top-right of every post made of these forums. This will alert the mods to the violation so that it can be dealt with as needed.

I have been, but have not noticed any moderator action thereafter. To be fair, perhaps at this point the mods are only pming warnings, so I wouldn't necessarily see anything anyway....

Really? Is that true in all the for sale forums now, you can comment and chat?

Yes. Keep it on topic, though, and don't trash the sale.

OK, I just tested this theory and got an infraction from Glockman for chatting in a for sale thread. Seems like you guys need to get on the same page per the new rules of they might just ban me for following the new system. Can someone ask Glockman to remove my infraction? Then I would appreciate a consistent interpretation of the new rules by the mods. Thanks

You have received an infraction at BladeForums.com
Dear Balislinger,

You have received an infraction at BladeForums.com.

Reason: Failure to follow Forum Specific Rules
-------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balislinger View Post
The 42-400 is an extremely sweet set up. I agree completely that it is the best version of the 42 that was produced. Your first picture is a great picture
Infraction issued for chatting (again...).
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8934851
Quote:
The 42-400 is an extremely sweet set up. I agree completely that it is the best version of the 42 that was produced. Your first picture is a great picture
All the best,
BladeForums.com

Last edited:
It isn't a theory

SECTION 4 - Rules for buyers
First, see section 2.2 above.

1. Do not post "mail sent" or other similar replies to ads. Temporarily suspended per testing
2. Do not bump threads with "Free bump for a nice guy" or "Beautiful [item]" or other similar posts. Temporarily suspended per testing
3. Do not chat or discuss the items in the thread itself. Temporarily suspended per testing

I can't copy the strikethroughs, but the announcement thread by Spark shows that the chatting rule is suspended at the moment. There should be no issue in getting the infraction removed. Perhaps you could also PM Glockman to get it sorted.

OK, thanks for reposting that. I referred Glockman to this page, so hopefully he'll remove the infraction.

Back