New Rules for the Exchange forum - Feedback thread.

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Spark, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Balislinger

Balislinger

Nov 11, 2003
    Went back to re-read the new rules. Even the announcement thread title right at the top of the for sale forum states "no more rules on bumping, commentary . . . ."

I gotta say, though, Section 4 is a little confusing. How do you reconcile bullet #6 with bullets #2 and #3 and the announcement thread title I mentioned above? Seems like some clarification on those terms would be helpful. Here is section 4 (below). Bullets 1,2, 3 and 5 are struck-through, which I can't replicate.

SECTION 4 - Rules for buyers
    First, see section 2.2 above.

1. Do not post "mail sent" or other similar replies to ads. (Temporarily suspended per testing)
    2. Do not bump threads with "Free bump for a nice guy" or "Beautiful [item]" or other similar posts. (Temporarily suspended per testing)
    3. Do not chat or discuss the items in the thread itself. (Temporarily suspended per testing)
    4. Do not post in an ad unless you are interested in the item / service that is being offered.
    5. Do not post offers in threads. (Temporarily suspended per testing)
    6. ABSOLUTELY NO COMMENTARY OR FEEDBACK IN SOMEONE'S THREAD. Seriously, if you stomp on someone's ad, your account can and will be locked.
    7. THREAD NECROMANCY IS HIGHLY DISCOURAGED. Do not bump threads that are older than 120 days. Send the seller a message instead.

2. roenman

roenman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Hello all, Right now in the Busse for Sale Forum, 11/28/10 @3:10 pm est.
    If you sort by Last Post, you have a Dealer with 9 posts on the first page. Will this be allowed with the new rules or is he just taking ADVANTAGE of the new trial?

3. chickenplucker

chickenplucker

Nov 22, 2007
    part 1. it shouldnt
    part 2. most definetely

4. Kiah

Kiah S&S Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2006
    Adjustments will likely be made depending on how it goes. If people continue to play games with the rules, they'll end up with even more to whine about when things get stricter.

As for the Busse FS forum, there are still large quantity flippers skating by on non-dealer memberships. If/when the criteria that prompted Dan's dealer status is applied to the rest that should share it, there's gonna be even more people trying to get an upperhand in that forum. All the more reason for dealers (and service providers) to be shipped off to the forums that were created for them and stop competing with actual individuals for sales.

5. u812

u812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2002
    I still do not see a knife maker-service provider forum in the exchange.
    I think the lanyards and Monkey fists I offer kind of fall as Gadgets and gear.
    I do not sell enough or make enough on them to have my own forum on them.I started making them as a hobby to have something to do when I was on second shift.
    A knife maker - Service provider forum in the exchange might be a good place for stuff like that.

6. Kiah

Kiah S&S Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2006
    It's in the Maker's Market right now (link). I believe Kevin is going to move those forums into the exchange at some point.

PM inbound by the way, bro.

7. mongomondo

mongomondo SUPPRESSING FIRE

Sep 17, 2006
    Rule 6 means you're not allowed to bash the seller or the product. So if you had previous experience dealing with the seller you're not allowed to say anything in that thread.

8. Balislinger

Balislinger

Nov 11, 2003
    OK, thanks for the clarification

9. Balislinger

Balislinger

Nov 11, 2003
    I think it's allowed as long as you don't have more than 2 threads on the first page and 4 in the first 2 pages under the default viewing option, right? In other words, you can't start 9 threads that close to one another. But if you're changing the view option, and he has old threads he is updating all at the same time, no foul, right? Man, these new rules are hard to figure out

10. roenman

Oct 14, 2006
    If the thread was being updated, that would be one thing. The ones I am talking about are just being bumped to be on the first page.

11. Balislinger

Balislinger

Nov 11, 2003
    My understanding is that threads cannot be bumped anymore. Any comments or added posts just get tacked on, but the thread stays where it is in the queue. So unless a viewer switches viewing options like you did, the person you are talking about should still have only one or two threads on the first page (in default mode). Since threads can no longer be bumped, I think they want us to start a new thread after 2 weeks of the knives haven't sold. 2 weeks to get the thread back on the first page is too long in my opinion, but maybe once browsers get used to the changes they may develop different browsing habits for what's for sale.

12. roenman

Oct 14, 2006
    Balislinger, they can't be bumped in the default view. But if you change the sorting feature to "Last Post", any additional reply including "to the top" takes it to the first page of that view.

13. mongomondo

mongomondo SUPPRESSING FIRE

Sep 17, 2006
    Spark has already addressed this

14. Balislinger

Balislinger

Nov 11, 2003
    That's what I was saying. So I don't think he's breaking any rules unless he has more than two threads on the first page using the default viewing option

15. roenman

Oct 14, 2006
    I would think even if not breaking rules, common courtesy would prevail. Just my 2 cents

16. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    Balislinger, did your infraction get lifted?

17. Balislinger

Balislinger

Nov 11, 2003
    No, it didn't. Still waiting on that. Glockman hasn't responded and no others mods have stepped up. Thanks for asking

18. Balislinger

Balislinger

Nov 11, 2003
    I started a knife for sale thread in the production knives section on Saturday. As of right now (Tuesday afternoon), it is already on page four, where no one visits, especially under the new default viewing options. Under the new rules, I am not supposed to close my listing in order to repost it on the first page with a new price, which is the only way it would get any exposure at this point. I would have to wait one and half weeks before I can anything with it. Sure, I can update the price, but again, no one goes to page 4 of the for sale sections. This shows what is wrong with the new system and why sellers may start looking for other options. I know I am, considering my knife will now sit on pages 4-7 for over a week. I was kind of liking the new viewing option as a browser, but curious to know what it would feel like as a seller. Now I know. I say keep the current set up if you must, but allow for price reduction bumping back the first page, or shorten the amount of time before a seller can re-post a knife to less than a week.

19. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    I do not like it as a buyer or seller.
    Most of the things I buy are impulse buys and come from seeing where a price has been dropped.I tend not to hit the last post link.

20. u812

Mar 15, 2002
    Can you make it so only the OP can send the thread BTT?A big watch forum I am on does that.It keeps chit chat and questions from bringing the thread back up.