1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New Rules for the Exchange forum - Feedback thread.

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Spark, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Sessrumnir

Sessrumnir

Oct 27, 2010
    Might just want to add something like that to the rules:

Buyers can post "I'll take it [on condition of]" and that's it.

2. on_edge

on_edge

Jul 10, 2010
    not to sound too dumb but is there a "glossary" of all the jargon and acronyms...PM, bump, etc.? trying to make more sense of the banter on buying so i can buy effectively. thnx

3. Matteo Escobar

Matteo Escobar

Feb 26, 2002
    What was so wrong with the current system?

-no bumping until 72 hours have passed unless there was a change in terms.
    -no chatting
    -no trash talking

What was the big issue? If someone was dropping the price $10 a day and re-bumping people would notice and be turned off. I don't see the need for the new rules and I think that it will alienate some members.

4. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Does this mean that Dealers will have this right to exemption outside the Dealers' Exchange sub-forum also? :confused: This seems like it might be a fairly serious disadvantage to individuals listing in the Individual Exchange sub-forums...

5. roenman

roenman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Are "Dealers" allowed to post in any Exchange Forum now, or just the "Dealers" forums?

6. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    Dealers can only post their business offers in the dealer area.
    If they are selling the occasional personal item, they can post in the Individual area.

7. Whiskey River

Whiskey River

Sep 13, 2007
    Spark:

Ok, I am a platinum member but I also got into making sheaths recently. I mostly make sheaths for Busse knives. Can I still list them for sale in the Busse for sale section??

Thanks,
    Jon

8. hoopster

hoopster

Jan 12, 2007
    I'm not sure this was covered in the revised rules but is it okay to have a link to your sales thread in your signature line?

9. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    You might consider publicizing these new rules. I just happened to read it with other threads. I normally do not check the pinned threads at the top, so I would have missed it normally.

10. Chuddy Bear

Chuddy Bear

Feb 13, 2005
    however unless you have a DEALER membership you may not:
    Mention or link to your business in any way
    Use private messaging to sell to members
    Include your business name in your username
    Use your signature or avatar to promote your business.
    Take part in any discussions involving your business OUTSIDE the Feedback forum.

Just to make sure I am reading this right.
    1). I make knife sheaths and I have a Knifemaker membership.

So unless I buy a dealer membership:
    a). I must change my username?
    b). I need to remove the link to my web site?
    c). If someone posts that they like something I made, I cannot respond?
    d). My sig has to go?
    e). And I cannot mention my business in any way?

I am not trying to be difficult, I just want to make sure I am reading this right. :D

Lastly, If all of the above applies. If I buy a dealer membership can I keep my Avatar, the link to my web site and post Busse knife sheaths in the Busse for sale area? I dont post many sheaths for sale, just leftovers a few times a year.

Thanks,
    Chuck

11. J. Oeser

J. Oeser

May 13, 2009
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. :)

And this.

If we are all strictly abiding by these rules then are the old "exceptions" to these rules going to remain. If so there will be certain people with a very distinct and unfair advantage in the exchange.

12. J. Oeser

J. Oeser

May 13, 2009
    I can think of one example where that is not the case and there may be others. And as per the rules description:

"A dealer is defined as anyone who purchases at wholesale pricing, or purchases items with the intent to resell (flipping). Other terms for dealers include purveyor, broker, reseller, etc.

If a member with the label of "dealer" purchases and item with the sole intent to resell then it cannot be considered a personal item.

So again I ask, are these rules going to be strictly enforced?:)

13. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Regarding 3.1.13.2 -
    I agree with Morimotom on this, the no respond rule seems to be a little too harsh. If someone asks a question in a thread, and it happens to be on the first page already, I cannot see the purpose of waiting 72 hours to answer. It does not seem to be something that will benefit anyone (buyer or seller). I would agree, add as much info to the OP as possible, but something people come out with odd but pertinient questions, or sellers space out and leave out details.

13.1.13.4 -
    If 72 hours have not passed since the last post by anyone, all questions should be addressed by email, private message, or editing previous posts ONLY.

This will be easier said than done by buyers, given th fact that it takes some time for new rules to break in and get accustomed to. It sounds more reasonable to be able to provide answers that might not be covered by the original post.

Cougar Allen makes a very valid point as well. We MUST use insurance or else? Wow.

14. Soulrack223

Soulrack223 Gold Member Gold Member

May 8, 2007
    So I can't have a price in a trade ad, nor can I have both a for sale ad and a trade ad? In other words I can have trade options in for sale ads with my platinum membership, but not a price in a trade ad with any level of membership? I have no problem with that but I wish I could lock some ads now without bumping them and further violating the new rules. :confused:

15. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    You can. I just went back and locked up a couple. Search for all posts created by Soulrack223, in the OP click Edit, then Go Advanced, scroll past the text box at the bottom. There is a single box Close Thread, select Save. That will lock it.

16. riz_aaroni

riz_aaroni Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2007
    I can't say I've really ever insured things, minus a passaround knife. Though in all honesty if I shipped a knife and the courier lost the thing, I may feel bad, but it isn't my fault. Regardless, should be up to the buyer and seller if they want to use it. The rulers put the option in the buyers hands, though should be both IMO.

The other rules seems to just be house keeping and making sure things operate smoother unless I missed something.

17. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    You can. Edit the original post using the "Go Advanced" option. Under the text box are other options, among them being "Close this thread after you submit your message". Check it, and save the changes. The post will update and lock, all without bumping the thread. You can do the same thing without editing the thread too...just check that box and hit "Save Changes" :thumbup:

18. Soulrack223

Soulrack223 Gold Member Gold Member

May 8, 2007
    Thanks!

On a side note, anything in the US should be insured, but if you're shipping international it can be nearly impossible. Maybe that's why the loophole is in the new rule?

19. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    You don't have to do an edit to close it. You can use the drop down "thread tools" at the top, however, if you are updating it, then it makes sense to use the edit function and close it at the same time.

20. DowntownDM

DowntownDM Banned BANNED

May 11, 2007
    what's the point in not being able to have a combined trade and sale ad for the same item?

If I have knife-x and am open to either a trade or outright sale, why not be able to list it as such?

am I missing something?