1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New Rules for the Exchange forum - Feedback thread.

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Spark, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Kiah

Kiah S&S Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2006
    I agree that the old system worked much better for all dealers posting in the FS by Individual exchange forums.

2. chickenplucker

chickenplucker

Nov 22, 2007
    nominated for post of the year!!!:thumbup:

3. gtopper

gtopper

Mar 24, 2010
    Dont care for new system , hard to sell a knife on the 8th page , i have 120 hits put the same knife on another site at the same time it has 530 hits not to hard to figure out which is more effective , john

4. Liu Kang

Liu Kang Banned BANNED

Jul 20, 2007
    That's says a lot right there!

5. 5.56

Sep 27, 2008
    I like the new system. I check the Sales forums daily and I no longer have to sift through countless bumped threads. All of the new threads are displayed right on the first page. If I have an interest in a particular item and I want to watch it, I simply subscribe to the thread.

6. dericdesmond

dericdesmond Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2007
    So does over 20 active sale threads that would not be tolerated if the old rules were still intact.

7. dericdesmond

dericdesmond Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2007
    +1. As a buyer, I Love it. As a seller, I get 2x the amount of views on the first day than I did with the old system. Granted, over time, the mass views will not be there. Oh well, guess I need to price my stuff better if I really wanna sell it quick, otherwise, I wait 2 weeks (12-13 days actually) I can live with that.

8. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    He doesn't have a paid subscription, so he can't even sell at all. He's never had one on that profile. All he can do is trade, and if nobody wants what he has (or has what he wants) then hits don't matter. He's making statements that don't hold up, and you are agreeing with him. I'm seeing multiple threads with 3-400+ views on the sale forums on the first day, and multiple threads with sub 200 views that are marked SOLD on the first day as well.

Under the old system, your post would be on page 8-14 before the 2nd day was over, and back on page 4 the same day you bumped it.
    Which would you prefer, having more hits and your knife not selling, or less and it being gone the same day you list it?

I'm getting tired of repeating myself, or just having to correct obviously wrong information.

9. Jroden5446

Jroden5446

Dec 20, 2009
    I like the new system, easier to check in quick and see new postings

10. elkins45

elkins45

Jun 17, 2006
    I like the new system as a buyer for all the reasons others have said.

As a seller I don't think it makes a difference. If you have a desirable knife and/or a desirable price then it will sell within minutes or hours. If not then it will languish unsold under either system. Don't believe me? Post a NIB Paramilitary 2 S90V for $140 and see how long it takes to sell. Price the same knife at $400 and see how many months it remains unsold.

Market forces remain constant regardless of how you view the pages.

11. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    If you were to post the Para at $400 and then reduced it with a corresponding bump until it hit an attractive price, it would sell regardless of the starting price.

It might be relatively easy to determine the going market price on a production knife, but when it is a custom, it is not as cut and dried. You don't know what the market will support in price-especially during this economic time. You have to "ballpark" the price and then reduce it. You also have to be able to get prospective buyers to see it.

12. elkins45

elkins45

Jun 17, 2006
    Yes, but then everyone who visits the exchange has to suffer through seeing the same knife pop to the top of the page 20 times until you finally hit that price point. I've been forced to incrementally drop the price when selling a knife and I always thought of it as sort of a 'reverse eBay' where I was self-bidding my price down to find the market level.

13. Balislinger

Balislinger

Nov 11, 2003
    I agree with this. It also applies to productions knives sometimes. They only way we know what the market value is is to aim high and walk it down. I've seen market value change based on demand in one week, and sometimes it can swing 50% in that amount of time. The old system allowed you to determine the new market value of a knife by maintaining exposure to the full pool of buyers until the knife sold. Under the new system, you have to guess what the market price might be because you're worried if it doesn't sell in the first 2 days alot less people will be seeing it. In short, it makes other forums more attractive because you can determine the real market value.

It's not a big complaint; surprisingly, I am warming up to the new system. But I think regular sellers got the shaft more than anyone. As a buyer, it's nice, clean and simple. As a seller, you have to do alot of research, try to price the knife right at previous selling points (not always the new market value) or under, and go for a fast sale rather than take 1 -2 weeks. Hopefully there will still be some sellers that don't mind taking 3 months to sell a knife and will start their sales at very high prices, because that's the only way to track the movement of market value for some knives. But under the new system, it is less likely anyone would do that, because then it would take 3 months as opposed to two weeks to sell a knife at its top market rate.

14. Spark

Oct 2, 1998
    No offense, but every post you make is getting more ridiculous than the last. This isn't pork belly futures. 3 months to sell a knife? Seriously? Sellers aren't already doing research (using, gasp, the SEARCH FEATURE) to figure out pricing? C'mon.

Practically every buyer has come in and said it's much easier and a better setup now. As sellers this should REALLY mean something to you; if they like it better, it's going to be easier for them to purchase. That you aren't able to bump your threads doesn't matter to them - if your thread wasn't on the pages they browsed through, or if they missed it, they were going to have to search for your item anyhow. This is one of the reasons that having the search open to everyone really helps sellers.

I'm tired of hearing about how other forums are more attractive; especially from the same few people over and over and over again. We get it, you don't like it, you may head elsewhere. The question is, it's been over 2 weeks since we've put in the new default sort. Are your items not selling? How many haven't sold? Have you relisted them?

Blaming the sort for your stuff (possibly) not moving is pretty dumb. Sure, the last post listing could be abused to keep your listing up top, but plenty of people are able to sell stuff via auctions and classifieds listings at other sites. Does eBay let you bump? Craigslist?

I'm about ready to close this. It's becoming increasingly obvious that some people aren't going to be happy unless they can bump to their heart's content, whether their stuff sells or not. The buyers, on the other hand, don't care.

15. hardheart

hardheart

Sep 19, 2001
    That is not the purpose of gold/platinum memberships and the 'for sale by individual' fora. If you are selling with the intent to make money, and not just change up your collection - then you need a maker or dealer membership, your own sub-forum, or a retail website.

This would be a good part about the lack of bumping. This should slow down volatility in pricing. Removing speculators from the pool is also a good thing imo, Spark apparently has zero intent to cater to them. Making the seller do some work is not a bad thing, especially if their intent is to profit. If people aren't going to invest time, effort, or money, then they shouldn't profit. Maybe they can break even or reduce a loss, which is what the overwhelming majority do when they sell their personal stuff in every other venue.

16. JatMat

JatMat Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Well Said, lock and load.
    JMHO

17. Balislinger

Balislinger

Nov 11, 2003
    I'll keep my mind open and see how it goes, Spark. The one area that people seem to consistently take issue with is the two-week rule, because if you don't price correctly and you end up on page three, good luck getting any visibility until 2 weeks later. Just my two cents. The new system works better in other ways, so I'm open to evaluating it over a longer period of time.

18. Spark

Oct 2, 1998
    Anyone who's having problems selling stuff, show us. Show us your thread, still open, where multiple people selling the same thing, for more, have theirs sold faster.

19. NDJeep

NDJeep

Jul 14, 2009
    Like some have mentioned I like the new system except for the 2-week rule. But...thats more "just because" I'm thinking. No one likes to be restricted in doing something. I'd like 1-week better.

But as Spark asked for, I have moved a few knives recently and they went just as fast as with the old format. The key is appropriate pricing. I think the vast majority with any research at all know what our knives are gonna go for.(Customs excluded) The speculators who list a D2 para for $180 MAY get a bite but dont cry if it drowns to page 8 and you have to wait 2 weeks to re-do it.

For those who list their knives to actually move them I think the chances aer pretty darn close with either system.

Your knife...priced right...will move. Do the research to find out that price before you list it.
    :thumbup:

20. myright

myright

Jan 31, 2008
    Alright - i'm confused...

I got an infraction as well as a warning in a thread in which I answered a question on a blade I have for sale as well as bumped it with a price drop. My thread is listed in Customs for sale and I'm seeing the same behavior happen in other threads both in custom as well as the other FS threads. What gives? What am I missing??

Here's my thread
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783366

I originally thought I understood why I got the warning and infraction but now am confused based on the other threads I see.