1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New Rules for the Exchange forum - Feedback thread.

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Spark, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    You got them before the rules changed to "talk all you want and don't worry about bumping woot!" on 11/15". :)

2. Soulrack223

Soulrack223 Gold Member Gold Member

May 8, 2007
    I was really against the changes in the beginning but I've warmed up to them now. It will work fine as long as people lock their old thread when they start a new thread for the same knife 2 weeks later. I can't believe how many im's/e-mails I've gotten for year-old sale threads where there is an obvious "I'll take it" followed by "Sold/Shipped." The worst time was when a guy bumped one with a question and a couple more guys contacted me about the knife. Obviously a nonissue with the new default-sort by start date.

3. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    What is the status of moving all the Sale Forums to the Exchange ( From the Makers area).

4. eljugador

eljugador

Apr 18, 2006
    Not loving the new rules for selling. Seems very unfair to those who have been following the rules and, frankly, this is not what I signed up for. I see the advantage for buyers, but they aren't the ones who paid or the privelidge of playing on this part of forums.
    The frustration is compounded by the fact that my current ad is not even showing up in a search. Finally, while I get the point about doing your research in advance, it seems like a lot if sellers (at least Busse sellers) remove pricing once an item is sold. Not good.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    You say your current ad isn't showing up. Do you have a link to it? Have you made a thread regarding it in this forum so I can troubleshoot?

Also, what rules specifically are you having problems with.

6. deloid

deloid

Dec 19, 2007
    "...Seems very unfair to those who have been following the rules..."

How can you break the rules other than relisting early?

"... I see the advantage for buyers, but they aren't the ones who paid or the privelidge of playing on this part of forums."

Isn't any advantage to the buyer what we want, as in increased sales, visibility?

"... it seems like a lot if sellers (at least Busse sellers) remove pricing once an item is sold."

What's wrong with removing pricing? I must have missed that if it's part of the rules.

I'm sincere with these questions as I have a vested interest in this process as I work on my inventory.

7. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
  8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Yes, I see it has been moved. Thanks

9. eljugador

eljugador

Apr 18, 2006

I wasn't having a problem with the rules that drove the changes -- I was the dummy who was actually following them. I locked down the ads that weren't found in search and redid them.

Now that I see how the new sales system works in action, I actually think it might be a better way to go.

10. eljugador

eljugador

Apr 18, 2006
    Under the old system, people started with high prices then worked their way down as time went on. The new system doesn't allow this and the moderator's response was "do your research/homework" instead find the price by trial and error. My point is that it is awfully hard to "do your homework" when it is hard to see what things actually sold for.

11. NDJeep

NDJeep

Jul 14, 2009
    Maybe some...but alot of sellers just started with a fair price...or what THEY actually paid for it.

Again...price it for what you paid if you dont know or cant find out.

Sorry, but I just have no sympathy for speculators. I'm sure they have their place and all but if they cant find out where to price a knife, "Oh Well..."

That said, I typically leave my sold price up in the thread. I think its helpful but I dont think it should be required.

12. eljugador

eljugador

Apr 18, 2006
    You sure are making a lot of assumptions here. Did it ever occur to you that people might be selling for reasons other than "speculating"? What I paid for it might be relevant but might not.

13. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    Typical internet response: fight, fight! How would this have sounded? Better?

"People might be selling for reasons other than "speculating"? What I paid for it might be relevant but might not."

14. NDJeep

NDJeep

Jul 14, 2009

Of course there are many other reasons to sell a knife. I simply meant, I dont feel sorry for speculators who have no idea where to price their knife. Sure, it's their right to start high and see what the market will bear but its tedious for the rest of us to sift thru their inevitable price drop post bumps. Thats one of the advantages to the new system.
    Notice who's NOT liking it...dealers and speculators.

And you are correct. What a person paid originally may not be relevant....such as a gift possibly.

I simply meant to suggest for those that have no idea where to price an item that what they paid for it can be a good starting point in many cases.

No offense intended...:thumbup:

15. Balislinger

Balislinger

Nov 11, 2003
    With the rules about chatting in for sale threads suspended, why does Glockman still have a sticky in the For Sale section that says no chatting? He seems to be enforcing it against the current rules, as he did with me. Still no apology or lifting of the incorrect infraction. I have heard form others not to hold my breath. Is that really the kind of mod we want around here? I mean, mods should at least have to actually follow the forum rules

16. deloid

deloid

Dec 19, 2007
    Many have seen your previous complaint and I'm pretty certain that includes Spark. I think many would have left it at that or contacted another mod and dropped it.
    Perhaps this is happening to you because you violate the rules in other ways. Maybe I'm wrong about this but I don't see you listed as having a knifemaker or dealer membership yet you have the audacity to advertise a sword on the very thread that discusses rules?
    "Selling Right Now: Jody Samson signed custom Sword"

Then you state "inducted in 2008"...are you a MS? If not what does that mean?

It's hard to tell on the internet, you may be a great guy but I'm not fond of your approach and I'm definitely against mod bashing.

17. Balislinger

Balislinger

Nov 11, 2003
    Well if you're going to bash me you should know what you are talking about. No I didn't violate other rules. The sword is advertised in my signature which is posted everywhere I post and is perfectly fine to do so according to the rules for Gold or Platinum memberships (I checked this out with Spark a long time ago). Last, the inducted is nothing you would get unless you spent more time on the forum, but it has nothing to do with the ABS. Try asking questions before you leap to assumptions about more senior members. :jerkit: As for the infraction, I don't really care that much about lifting it, it's only 1 point and it expires. I was pointing out that we still have mods at odds with the new rules ( as in the sticky that's still there) and enforcing the rules inconsistently with what Spark has laid down. I think that's a problem for the forum. How does it makes sense to have a sticky at the top that says "no more rules on commentary" and another sticky below it that says "no chatting in for sale threads"?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  18. dericdesmond

dericdesmond Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Yeah, you are wrong. He does not have to be a knifemaker or dealer to advertise his personnel item.

*edit, whoops, balislinger beat me to it

19. deloid

deloid

Dec 19, 2007
    Eljugador, I like this point and it is one that has come up before. Many stores that depend on rapid turnover will drop the price of an item by a certain percent after a designated time. This adds a psychological advantage to selling and may create more sales and activity.

If I were on the fence about a knife and there was a rule that allowed a minimum percentage drop after three days (random number) I would probably watch for that and my eagerness would increase. This form of marketing is very effective.

Yes, if there was sincere interest in a particular knife, getting bumped should not have an impact (the interested person can just follow that posting) but...

Seeing a knife on the top of the thread that has had a mandatory percentage of the price dropped will likely create a larger demand. This is just conjecture but since this is a thread for discussion and ideas I'll throw that one out.

Having a wait time and a fixed percentage drop should help avoid abuse but I do see an advantage to bumping in this scenario. I suspect at least one problem is that it can't be done with the forum format.

20. deloid

deloid

Dec 19, 2007
    That wasn't a bashing. I did diligently look at your profile and there is no mention of a paid membership and you are still violating rules that Spark set up concerning respect of moderators.

Now that I know a little bit more about you I don't wish to carry on with this conversation. Bash away but I am no longer responding.