New Stuff From Ka-Bar

Hot damn! Those are awesome. I like that rendition much better than the one Boker released last year. No comparison, IMO. I'll be getting one of each, you can bet on it. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hey Everybody.....

I hope I can get this thing to work.......

A little about the knives....Precursor to the Marine Combat.....The knife was to be issued to EVERY sailor according to Frank Trzaska's stats in 42 & 43 some 750,000 were contracted for by 5 different companies.......Whew.....The knives were issued partly because life rafts were lashed down with manilla rope.......They still used a lot of rope back then for other stuff as well.......Traska estimates no one will ever know how many knives were purchased........I can not believe that I never got one of these babies in my teens at one of the three army navy stores I used to haunt.....Probably too small and way too useful.....These are great knives.......Light, handy, comfortable grip, 1095 CroVan, excellent edge geometry, aesthetically tasty.....

Did a quick try out with Moose doing the camera work (good job, my friend !).........

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

The wood is young seasoned tulip poplar....Easy to carve.......The Ka-Bar MKI did a lovely job......As it has a stick tang I suggest only light batonning.....Tou really can not ask for a nicer little blade....Until the Tweeners come along at least.....

Many, Many kudos to Phil Martin at Blue Ridge who dreamed the project up....I got a user of Tooj's incomparable CroVan in a neat little package....Yeah, Yeah....Thanks Phil.....

All Best....

ethan

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the one with the stacked leather handle. Whats the price range going to be for these?

nice job on the MK1 -- as a squid, (many moons ago!) I can appreciate those.
can Toooj & co do the same thing on a reissue of the 225Q?
that would really make my heart go pitter-pat! :)

Did someone say Tweeners? :D

Great report Ethan. :thumbup:

The knives were issued partly because life rafts were lashed down with manilla rope.......

I remember reading one of the reports that came out when Captain Sullenberger landed that passenger plane in the Hudson. One life raft's occupants were desparately trying to figure out how to detach their raft tethered to the plane. Apparently, no one thought to include a cutting implement, seeing as how they're taboo in the air. :rolleyes: Fortunately, a responding fishing boat had plenty of knives.

Ethan
When I got my new bk14 from tomar the other day they had included a 2011 catalogue that mk1 with kraton handle was the first thing i wanted ...other than one of each becker. However, my two year old son wanted the zk folder.

Wow. These look great. Those are some clean lines. Any specs? Prices? ETA?

waitasecond! What's Ethan doing posting these? We need some Becker pron pronto!

YES!!!!! Just what I have been waiting for. The question is when and where? I hope this is a prelude to the Becker Bushies to come. Help me out here folks. Of course, the Train Wrecker is my permanent thigh attachment, but it seems that I don't have to pull the ol' boy out as much, due to being kinda tethered to the Ponderosa and this offering is just the ticket for smaller chores. The sooner, the better. I'll take one of each.:thumbup:

Oops, sorry fellas. Got a bit excited at Pic 1. Skipped to second page, because I was so elated at a Bushie version. I failed to read top down of page 2. In my haste..... well nevermind.... I will probably never make GOLD[membership], but you better believe that 'I AM A BECKERHEAD'........... well you could say that great product spawns devout loyalists....... Yes....there.... I said it..... 'I AM A BECKERHEAD'.

pardon Ethan....I guess I crossed over into too much Kentucky goodness.... and how..\

Last edited:
I really like the stacked leather version. Looks very similar to a knife that my grandfather used on our family ranch to castrate ( I know, bad subject). Always had it sticking into a post in the barn.

They look very nice. Any chance of a side by side shot with a Becker for a handle size comparison?

Hey Everybody.......

There will be a lot more to come....I hope to be doing a bunch more pix and stuff as soon as I get a handle on the process.....John (my son) is now in the neighborhood and is trying to be patient with the ancient one.......Todays project is reducing photo file size as the pics in this post took up an entire days allowance of bandwith (satellite is better than dial up but, it still sucks)......

The Moose and I managed to get a couple of other photo projects done on saturday and I hope to get them up later......Good time....

All Best.....

ethan

6shooter.....I will try

Bowtecher.....Good to see your post(s) and good to see you around the neighborhood....

eb

I am definitely liking the shape of that knife. Spear-ish point blade, chunky handle and a flat pommel for crushing stuff. I bet the price won't be bad either :thumbup:

Ethan - I use a piece of freeware called "Easy Thumbnails" to reduce photo sizes -- it's pretty simple to use and saves on dealing with photo editing software on a per picture basis as I can select any or all the pictures on my SD card and resize them at once.

The more I see the MKI the more I want one. It looks like a great woods and Utility knife. Couldn't you see the MK1 in a dangler sheath with a firesteel loop?

Any idea as to when these will ship?

very bushcrafty shape for an old blade :)

kinda leuko like. looks good.

Back